Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I basically pay 50 bucks a month to watch my team right now by having YoutubeTV.
I kinda thought he was implying that it would be on a separate streaming service but you make a valid point. I guess some people would value youtubetv because you get a lot more then just the game.

whatthewhat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 7, 2019
If you are trying to pull the mountain schools, you offer them a full share of revenue if they come now. If they want to wait and see if Oregon and Washington stick around, go ahead, but if that implodes you will not be getting a full share for a few years if they come later.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I kinda thought he was implying that it would be on a separate streaming service but you make a valid point. I guess some people would value youtubetv because you get a lot more then just the game.
If I could pay $25 and watch all ISU games I'd be good. Catch a few other big games on the antenna if I really want. Outside of watching ISU I am pretty indifferent. I only really watch other Big12 games and that's only if I have nothing else going on.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

If for example, the Big 12 signed a contract with like CBS for Tier 1 stuff and then Amazon for everything else it would save me a ton of money. I'd drop YoutubeTV in a heartbeat and I already have Amazon.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
If I were to guess, the four mountain schools will go to the Big 12 since I don't see a compelling reason why they would stay.

This will force Oregon and Washington to join the Big 12 (unless they can work out a deal for extreme unequal revenue sharing / reduced payouts in the Pac 12 with escape clauses, so they can leave whenever they want).

Stanford may go independent and the rest will stay in the Pac and the conference will backfill with Mountain West schools.

Notre Dame may go to the B1G and pull in Stanford in a few years. After that, maybe we have a threat of Oregon and Washington trying to get an invite once the new Big 12 GOR expires.

• Optimistic
Reactions: PickSix

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Big12 will easily be #3.
Agree

The long game for all leftovers of all three conferences is to consolidate. Two tweener conferences is just cannibalization of scraps

Off chance ESPn first makes a Pac-ACC, then later adds Big 12 schools.

But there really can only be one if you are the schools

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
If for example, the Big 12 signed a contract with like CBS for Tier 1 stuff and then Amazon for everything else it would save me a ton of money. I'd drop YoutubeTV in a heartbeat and I already have Amazon.
Totally valid point. I was just wondering because while I know plenty of fans of various teams that would do the same I also know a good number of people that would only sign up if their team was good. ISU seems to have a ton of fan resilience so I was curious

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Totally valid point. I was just wondering because while I know plenty of fans of various teams that would do the same I also know a good number of people that would only sign up if their team was good. ISU seems to have a ton of fan resilience so I was curious
I watched almost every game of Prohms final season so I'd say I'm pretty resilient :prohm:

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Not sure why Stanford is desirable other than Olympic sports? I've been there. The atmosphere is dismal and that's when they had a Heisman candidate.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
If the BIG12 remains legit - 3rd best conference by adding some PAC10 teams......I would buy a subscription to ensure i get to watch ISU.

If I have to pay to watch them if B!G and SEC form their own super league - i would probably pass as college football would be ruined. Having 30-40 team league works for the NFL - but college football is different. When you have 70-80 teams that can reach the top 25 is great and compete for conference championships / bowl games is what it's all about.

Also TV or streaming services are going to need more than 30-40 teams to fill all their channels and streaming services. They are going to need (3) 20 team leagues or (4) 16 team leagues at minimum.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We want that….
Do we? There are a lot of moving parts with realignment.

By the SEC adding Texas & OU last summer, that gives them flexibility in taking lower value media rights schools. So the SEC could add:

Elite Media Value - OU & UT
Breakeven - OR & UW
Below Avg - UU & ASU

SEC has been building up it's SW presence with: Arkansas, OU, Texas, A&M. Maybe adding Oregon, Washington, Utah & ASU strengthens their prior realignment adds.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I really hope I'm wrong, but said all along that if I were any of the PAC schools, I'd hold tight for now. Guessing nothing happens until off season next year.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Not sure why Stanford is desirable other than Olympic sports? I've been there. The atmosphere is dismal and that's when they had a Heisman candidate.

The Big 10 schools are integrated beyond sports in ways that other conferences aren't. They share academic research, faculty, resources, etc. and very much value prestige. Adding Stanford would give them another elite academic institution and continue to allow them to thumb their noses down at everybody else.

And, adding Stanford may make a Big 10 move more digestible for Notre Dame, which values playing regular games on the west coast.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron