Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Sounds like there was a lot of division in the Pac12 meeting:

Internet message board so who knows if there is any accuracy but this post is interesting:

“From what has been said by reliable sources (same sources that predicted the SC, Ucla exit) ASU is unhappy with the media deal and is talking with the other 4 corner schools about joining the big 12. ASU was the school most upset about the media deal in this weeks pac meeting in Phoenix. Expect an announcement from these schools leaving for the big 12 soon. The pac 10 is probably finished.”
More context, this is that guys source. I do not know if this is a legit source or not

Also, the San Diego State thing makes me think that's fake. I do not feel like we're adding 5 western teams. There's a 0% chance that Yormark doesn't know that the ACC is in trouble next and he can get some teams from there. We're not stocking up on PAC schools all the way when we can expand into better markets and better programs in 10 years or so

Reactions: helechopper

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The Arizonas can come. IDK if I actually want Utah or Colorado anymore though. Utah made it clear they don't want to be here from the fan base and AD. Colorado left already and nobody is actually invested in the program all that much.

I'd take Utah over ASU. I don't really care what their AD was spouting off, they are a better brand for TV deals. I get them not wanting to be the ones to leave first, but once Arizona decides to leave, the shows over. Might as well get a seat while there's a seat to be had.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I'd take Utah over ASU. I don't really care what their AD was spouting off, they are a better brand for TV deals. I get them not wanting to be the ones to leave first, but once Arizona decides to leave, the shows over. Might as well get a seat while there's a seat to be had.
I mention the AD thing because Yormark talked about not wanting to take teams who didn't want to be here. Unless something massively changed I feel like public statements against joining the conference probably excludes them.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not going to hold my breath on further realignment. My bet is schools could be posturing to fill the power vacuum left with USC/UCLA leaving. I am sure schools like ASU and Utah don't want to automatically turn the bully pulpit over to Oregon & Washington.

A unique aspect of any Big12/Pac12 realignment is that each conference's media rights values are pretty close. This isn't like UT/OU or USC/UCLA's recent moves for $25M+ more per year.

Sure an 18-20 team conference could seem unwieldy, but the key would be creating a handful of annual rival games and then cycle through the other 12-14 teams home/road games over a 6-8 year period.

Creating a One Conference vibe could be achieved by not going with a 2 year cycle, but play group A years 1&4, group B years 2 & 5, etc.

The Big12 & Pac12 could view an 18-20 team conference as a way to expand both conference core audience. Aka I would be more likely as a Big12 fan to watch Arizona or Washington if I need ISU played them.

Reactions: PickSix

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I mention the AD thing because Yormark talked about not wanting to take teams who didn't want to be here. Unless something massively changed I feel like public statements against joining the conference probably excludes them.
I take any public statements by Presidents, AD's regarding realignment as posturing and negotiating and sticking up for their current situation. Why would the Utah or ASU not promote the Pac12 at a time when they are trying to negotiate the best TV deal possible for the Pac12?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would agree regarding football brand, but Phoenix MSA is the US's 10th largest MSA whereas SLC is 46th.

Media partners will pay for eyeballs and exposure.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not going to hold my breath on further realignment. My bet is schools could be posturing to fill the power vacuum left with USC/UCLA leaving. I am sure schools like ASU and Utah don't want to automatically turn the bully pulpit over to Oregon & Washington.

A unique aspect of any Big12/Pac12 realignment is that each conference's media rights values are pretty close. This isn't like UT/OU or USC/UCLA's recent moves for $25M+ more per year.

Sure an 18-20 team conference could seem unwieldy, but the key would be creating a handful of annual rival games and then cycle through the other 12-14 teams home/road games over a 6-8 year period.

Creating a One Conference vibe could be achieved by not going with a 2 year cycle, but play group A years 1&4, group B years 2 & 5, etc.

The Big12 & Pac12 could view an 18-20 team conference as a way to expand both conference core audience. Aka I would be more likely as a Big12 fan to watch Arizona or Washington if I need ISU played them.
Here is the thing though.

What is being reported....the offer on the table is 25M per school, Big 12 deal is about 32M per. (just media portion)

So we are at 7M above right now.

Next, Wash and Oreg, have been reported for Months to be wanting unequal share. That means the 4 corners would be even lower than the 25M if they did. So lets say 5M less per, just as a guess. Could be more or less for some. That puts them at 12M below.

Then you have the elevator clause in the Big 12 that if we add more schools in the west/new time zone, it will increase our deal or allow for an additional partner. This could also be a draw for these schools knowing that if they come it would increase our deal from say 32M per to say 37M+ per(complete guess as to how much). At an additional 5M per for the increase that would then put it at 17M increase over their deal on the Table in the PAC.

Something you have to think about for ESPN this would be a big benefit get 4-6 teams for the content they want for less than the 25M offered to the PAC(with Amazon), with possibly better matchups.

Yes this is all completely hypothetical, but one could see how the payout in the Big 12 COULD (stress could) quickly become a huge increase pretty quickly. This does not even take into account the stability of the conference with some teams publicly wanting out, not wanting to sign a GOR, and pushing for unequal revenue. These things will all tear them apart on top of the money as well.

Then you have to also take the Money they probably have to repay for the overpayment for the Pac net. Every bit of increase may become pretty important depending on how that shakes out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Utah has two choices to be P5. Either go to the big XII or stay in the PAC and hope it can back fill and stay relevant.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I suspect most of this is posturing, and the PAC schools want to stay together, and will. Seems like the new playoff format would be significant motivation to stay together as means to easier access.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

I ******* knew it! OUT doesn’t have that much cash just sitting around.

Now I really, really wanna know our protected games for 2024. KU, KSU, and Cincy feel like locks. Maybe OU and OSU? Especially with all 5 Texas schools playing each other. I’d be fine with not making a trip to Austin again

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

Now I really, really wanna know our protected games for 2024. KU, KSU, and Cincy feel like locks. Maybe OU and OSU? Especially with all 5 Texas schools playing each other. I’d be fine with not making a trip to Austin again

I thought a long time ago, it was that Texas had the cash, but OU didn't. Also, I am not sure if the financial return would be worth it to pay that much upfront vs the gain they would make in the SEC in future seasons.

But I really like the fact that the remaining schools have stood their ground and actually have treated OUT as just another school. No special treatment.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
No one is gonna “force“ Utah or anybody else to join the Big 12 if they don’t want to. If you get to the point of extending the invitation, you extend it, and they say yes or no. If they say yes, then any “public statements against joining the conference” are essentially null and void.

I can see what you mean about actually inviting a school that’s bad-mouthed your conference - maybe you don’t end up doing that - but if you think that school can be a benefit to your conference both financially and competitively, and the situation looks favorable, and (perhaps most importantly) that school is running out of viable options … why not invite them and put the ball in their court?

I don’t have a strong opinion either way about Utah, and there might be other more attractive options out there soon, but just because the AD said some bad things about the Big 12 recently doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be happy to be offered a lifeline if their other choices were the WAC and the MWC.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
No one is gonna “force“ Utah or anybody else to join the Big 12 if they don’t want to. If you get to the point of extending the invitation, you extend it, and they say yes or no. If they say yes, then any “public statements against joining the conference” are essentially null and void.

I can see what you mean about actually inviting a school that’s bad-mouthed your conference - maybe you don’t end up doing that - but if you think that school can be a benefit to your conference both financially and competitively, and the situation looks favorable, and (perhaps most importantly) that school is running out of viable options … why not invite them and put the ball in their court?

I don’t have a strong opinion either way about Utah, and there might be other more attractive options out there soon, but just because the AD said some bad things about the Big 12 recently doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be happy to be offered a lifeline if their other choices were the WAC and the MWC.

If it gets to this point the answer is already yes.

Utah can pound sand if they don't want to be in the conference. ASU too.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I take any public statements by Presidents, AD's regarding realignment as posturing and negotiating and sticking up for their current situation. Why would the Utah or ASU not promote the Pac12 at a time when they are trying to negotiate the best TV deal possible for the Pac12?
They could just say nothing or give a Campbell tier deflection

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
At this point I just want UT and OU out and I don't want any more additions. With the expanded playoff and conference winners getting an auto bid, why would we want to take our chances from 1/12 to 1/16? I understand the conference would be extremely strong and I'm sure the money would be there, but at this point I just want the easiest route to the playoff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

They waited so long because these are supposed to be home/home schedules, which means you will just flip the locations the next year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In regards to the PAC schools, what options do they have? We can let this play out for several years. Outside of maybe UO and UW, nobody is getting SEC or Big 10 invites, they would already be there otherwise. So it's us, the ACC, or stay put. The ACC has a mess if they invite people before their GORs is up so that is unlikely. The PAC doesn't have much to backfill with if UO and UW pulled out or want uneven shares, or just try to go back to 12. We can sit and see who is the most attractive and be selective.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think the only way the PAC stays together (in current form) is if UW/UO decide that easier CFP access via PAC10 is more important than an addl ~$10-20M annual. Kliavkoff, I think, has been hustling to make that money differential as low as possible, to tip the scales in favor of staying put.

If UW/UO demand unequal shares, or won't sign a GOR in hopes of getting a B1G invite, then the mid-tier teams will likely head for the Big12 sooner or later. That's just an unstable situation. (This of course assumes the Big12 would take those mid-tier teams as net beneficial for the Big12).

Now, we all thought it made sense for OuT to stay in the Big12 since better CFP access. And look where that went.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Ugh. I want the money but I wish they'd just go. These lame duck seasons with them here kinda suck

Help Support Us

Become a patron