Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
This is titled about OUT staying in Big 12 then they go right to PAC talk after 3 minutes of OUT talk.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
But this isn't an emotional discussion for the TV Networks (or even AD's & Presidents). If the TV folks say to Yormark "We want ASU or Utah or Washington State", then they will be in the Big12!! This is all about money, not about feelings being hurt.
Hurt feelings isnt my point. If someone is reluctantly joining they may want to look out for themselves only. Yormark doesnt want people going into buisness for themselves in the conference like Texas did a number of times

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I think Utah would rather pretend that a new PAC where they are the premier fb school and Boise/Stanford/Oregon St/WSU are the next best programs is superior to the Big 12 than actually join the Big 12. Let them indulge that fantasy.

They fell in love with the idea that they had defeated BYU permanently through conference realignment and are having a total mental breakdown that realignment is now very possibly putting BYU in a superior place.
Yep. This is the vibe ive gotten from them too.

And you know what, im good with that. I don't want the Pac to not exist. I dont think less conferences is better for the sport. So if they want to hang out there with Oregon and Washington thinking the Big 10 is calling any day now while pretending they're still suprerior then go for it. We'll see how far that gets them

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep. This is the vibe ive gotten from them too.

And you know what, im good with that. I don't want the Pac to not exist. I dont think less conferences is better for the sport. So if they want to hang out there with Oregon and Washington thinking the Big 10 is calling any day now while pretending they're still suprerior then go for it. We'll see how far that gets them

Agree with all of this, and I'll simultaneously laugh at them when they think their conference is equal/better in football or in the same galaxy in basketball (even if it somehow stays the current 10).

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I think Utah would rather pretend that a new PAC where they are the premier fb school and Boise/Stanford/Oregon St/WSU are the next best programs is superior to the Big 12 than actually join the Big 12. Let them indulge that fantasy.

They fell in love with the idea that they had defeated BYU permanently through conference realignment and are having a total mental breakdown that realignment is now very possibly putting BYU in a superior place.

With the way Utah fans have been acting I'd be fairly cool with Utah State joining as a junior member

• Funny
Reactions: psychlones

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Hurt feelings isnt my point. If someone is reluctantly joining they may want to look out for themselves only. Yormark doesnt want people going into buisness for themselves in the conference like Texas did a number of times
Nobody's going to have the kind of power Texas did in the B12 ever again. They had legitimate options to go elsewhere - PAC, B10, SEC, independent - and used that as leverage to get the rules they wanted. Those rules allowed them to go into business for themselves.

OR and WA have some of that leverage in the PAC right now because they could go to the B12 if they don't get what they want.

But if they pull the trigger and jump to the B12, they don't have any more leverage than the rest of the schools. They'd be no different than anyone else - if a B10/SEC invite came their way, there's nothing the B12 could offer that would get them to stay. But until that invite comes, there's nowhere better to go. It doesn't matter how petulent or reluctant they are, they can't cause that much trouble.

Reactions: Clonedogg

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

I ******* knew it! OUT doesn’t have that much cash just sitting around.

Now I really, really wanna know our protected games for 2024. KU, KSU, and Cincy feel like locks. Maybe OU and OSU? Especially with all 5 Texas schools playing each other. I’d be fine with not making a trip to Austin again

But there were a ton of people on here saying that getting out of the GOR was easy! What gives? I dont get it.:jimlad:

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
But there were a ton of people on here saying that getting out of the GOR was easy! What gives? I dont get it.:jimlad:
Oh god there was that one poster that couldn’t shut up about the ACC and how as soon as a lawyer got involved their GOR would blow up. As if the conference doesn’t have a battalion of lawyers on staff that came up with the GOR in the first place.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I'd imagine that it is more accurate to say that Fox was not satisfied. Why give up 2 years of having OuT unless you're duly compensated?
Yeah, ESPN would want this to happen in ‘24 as they’d have full control of TX and OU rights. It’s 100 percent Fox and I can’t blame them. What is Fox getting out of an early exit?

Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It's been reported, but does anyone think that is logical or financially viable? It might have been a viable negotiation bluff for those schools when Kevin Warren was Big10 Commission, but no longer.

Logically, what other options does Washington & Oregon have? I don't think the Big10 or SEC are offering them a spot at the rich guys table! They also have to know their request then opens the door for Utah, ASU, etc. to want more than WSU, OSU, Stanford or Cal.

They can approach the Big12, but its not like they would make the incremental money that USC & UCLA are making to justify being a geographic outlier in the Big12. The distance from Oregon to BYU is same distance from ISU to WVU. So it only makes sense for Oregon & Washington to jump to the Big12 if they bring 2 or 4 other Pac 12 teams. So Oregon & Washington have to realize asking for an uneven split is basically ending the Pac12.

If I'm the President or AD at Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona, Stanford or Cal and UW/OR asked for an unequal share. I laugh, walk of the meeting and call Yormark.
EXACTLY!! But....

Still none of any part of my post cancels out the other. Even if Oregon and Wash dont want unequal rev, the other factors can still be. And if they do, it would obviously destabilize the PAC beyond repair and would blow it up even faster than the money difference.

For instance the elevator clause still could increase the Big 12 Media contract as much as 60% for adding more P5 teams. That would increase the pay gap of 7M from the 25M they would get in the Pac and the 32M in the Big12 as much as 20M brining the media pay in the Big 12 closer to 55M if they get the full 60% increase. My hypothetical was extremely conservative, but just an example of how the money could become a LOT more than just a few Million very easily when considering a few things, if some of them come into play.

You see, paying the Big12 15M per team more for the added content by adding 4-6 teams is still a win for ESPN. It is still 5-10M per less than for what they are offering the PAC and they would get the content they want. So they can offer as much as a 60% bump for adding more P5 teams in the west. For that window etc. Which would be in the area of 19M. Making the media compensation 50M+ in the Big 12, Not including the other income....that is 25M more than the Media offer on the table as reported for the PAC right now. One thing is it probably is 60% more on the total value then divided by the teams so it would actually be less than 25M more per team. But would still be a Huge raise, for everyone, as it would still be on top of our already 32M.

A couple of these schools may actually be trying to be difficult to purposely sabotage the Pac. Keep in mind if the Pac completely falls apart a few of these teams know they would have a landing spot, and it would be an easier move for them, if the Pac totally implodes. I would never have thought something like that could be a possibility but the last few years have shown anything is possible.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just pay the ******* money and get the **** out. Its not like those schools are piss poor. Sick of them just hangjng out in limbo.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
it almost sounds like the ultimatum to OuT was this: give us two non-conference games every year with the Big 12 for x number of years or wait till 2025. I don't think Fox killed this, I think OuT football programs killed this because they didn't want 11 of their 12 games to be against either the SEC or Big 12 programs. I could be wrong, but man, Yormark cornered OuT big time.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'd imagine that it is more accurate to say that Fox was not satisfied. Why give up 2 years of having OuT unless you're duly compensated?

Yeah, ESPN would want this to happen in ‘24 as they’d have full control of TX and OU rights. It’s 100 percent Fox and I can’t blame them. What is Fox getting out of an early exit?

It’s possible ESPN wasn’t happy with giving up inventory of games that would normally be played at OUT at Big 12 schools instead to make Fox whole.

But I overall agree that Fox is probably the one who didn’t want to do this.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
It's been reported, but does anyone think that is logical or financially viable? It might have been a viable negotiation bluff for those schools when Kevin Warren was Big10 Commission, but no longer.

Logically, what other options does Washington & Oregon have? I don't think the Big10 or SEC are offering them a spot at the rich guys table! They also have to know their request then opens the door for Utah, ASU, etc. to want more than WSU, OSU, Stanford or Cal.

They can approach the Big12, but its not like they would make the incremental money that USC & UCLA are making to justify being a geographic outlier in the Big12. The distance from Oregon to BYU is same distance from ISU to WVU. So it only makes sense for Oregon & Washington to jump to the Big12 if they bring 2 or 4 other Pac 12 teams. So Oregon & Washington have to realize asking for an uneven split is basically ending the Pac12.

If I'm the President or AD at Colorado, Utah, ASU, Arizona, Stanford or Cal and UW/OR asked for an unequal share. I laugh, walk of the meeting and call Yormark.
Oregon and Washingtons options are

1. Stay in the PAC and try to get an unequal revenue share while holding out hopes for a Big 10 invite. Downside is less money possibly and likely not having enough visibility with their new TV deal.

2. Join the Big 12. Revenue probably up but they also dont want to be here that badly it seems. Harder route to playoffs and way more travel.

3. Go independent together with some sort of double negotiation rights or something. 0 clue how profitable that would be if at all and a harder shot to play in the playoff.

4. Do JSBs idea and go to the ACC, which is not happening for a ton of reasons.