Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

Cmonwhatarewedoinghereman

Jul 26, 2023
If the Pac deal is streaming then that conference will be irrelevant. The only ways people watch college football is by watching the one big game in a time slot or floating around among the 10-12 games on at a time to find what’s interesting or to games you have money on. Even if you have the streaming service you’re not gonna pop back and forth to a Pac game, because it’s hard go from cable to a streaming app and back again. Only way sports works on streaming is when it’s the only thing you want to watch. Thursday night nfl on Amazon for example.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
I think what people are missing when they talk about a deal with Apple is that the MLS deal they have is a separate package to normal AppleTV+. That deal ALSO had an escalator provision based on the number of subscription to the MLS Season Pass, which they only recently passed thanks to Messi.

My guess would be it's the exact same deal for the Pac12. Set fee up front, and then if a certain number of subscribers to that package hits, it turns to revenue share % which could escalate it more. (MLS is $250m base with potential of ~$300m).
I'm sure risk averse University budget offices will love planning for something like that...

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
It's the press box. Every time I bring someone new to Jack trice, it's the first thing they comment on, how small and old the press box is. I don't know why it's not higher up on the to-do list. It makes us look minor league compared to a lot of P5 stadiums in that respect.
I'm getting a lot of negative reactions to this, and I get it. I am telling you though, it's a real perception among visiting fans from other schools. They look at it and laugh. If it's not a big deal to you, fine, it really doesn't matter anyway. But that's the reality.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Thamel and others are now saying "expect ASU, UA, and Utah to band together one way or the other.
Very interesting considering CW's sources say the Big 12 is only expanding by 1 more spot this cycle. I am still of the camp that it was to pressure Arizona to move quick but I don't see how the Big 12 says "no" to all three if they can make the economics work with ESPN/FOX.

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear and Dopey

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Thamel says that the 3 schools want to move together because they each don't want to be seen alone as breaking up the conference. So freaking dumb. The conference was broken the moment the UCLA USC news dropped.

I put as much weight in this as I do the "big 10 just doesn't want to be viewed as killing the PAC" narrative for why they haven't invited UO\UW

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I'm getting a lot of negative reactions to this, and I get it. I am telling you though, it's a real perception among visiting fans from other schools. They look at it and laugh. If it's not a big deal to you, fine, it really doesn't matter anyway. But that's the reality.
I don't think the negative reactions are based on your 'perception', but rather the rational of other projects taking a back seat AND that it'll have a return on investment.
I, for one, agree that it's paltry, but I agree that it must be at the forefront of some heavy hitting donors to get off the ground.
Apologies everyone. Now, back to the thread.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
If it really was as big of an issue as you are making it out to be, they would have prioritized it years ago. The fact that they completed a video board, SEZ, Softball/Track complex, Basketball practice facility, addition to football practice facility, pedestrian bridge, Tennis facility before even talking about a press box tells me all I need to know that a bigger press box isn't needed.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Do Utah and ASU think the Big 12 will take them once Arizona leaves? With BYU and Arizona I don't see the value.

Reactions: Freebird

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
And you know what you tell them. We have our suites for the most part, between decks, just like Clemson does, and then we have a "Press Box" for the Press, unlike Clemson, who also has their press between decks.

All those Giant Skyboxes you see are full of the suites in those stadiums because they have no other place for suites.

Its because our own people refuse to explain this to all those with press box fetishes.

Its about need, we dont need a giant sky box at the moment because our suites are elsewhere. If that need changes we will build a giant skybox.

But the cost for said skybox is huge so the need is going to have to be there.

Reactions: NWICY

werdnamanhill

(⌐■_■)
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 23, 2017
Eastern IA -> Raleigh, NC -> Madison, WI
Do Utah and ASU think the Big 12 will take them once Arizona leaves? With BYU and Arizona I don't see the value.
We will take them. We'd be stupid not to.

Phoenix is a massive city, ASU has huge enrollment. Utah is good at football and, aren't a terrible add if ASU and UA really refuse to go without them. Worth.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Very interesting considering CW's sources say the Big 12 is only expanding by 1 more spot this cycle. I am still of the camp that it was to pressure Arizona to move quick but I don't see how the Big 12 says "no" to all three if they can make the economics work with ESPN/FOX.
I will say, when he reported that I thought it was only 1 of the remaining 3 corner schools to get to 14, and then only OU and Wash to get to 16, but on the Williams and Blum and 2Guys named Chris he expanded more on it and made it seem like Utah ASU and UA could all be takes to get to 16

Reactions: aauummm

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Utah almost sounds like it is playing a game of chicken. There are 3 seats. 14, 15 and 16. Looks like 14 belongs to Arizona. If 15 and 16 go to Washington and Oregon, Utah just lost.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY