Random Thoughts XII - This Thread Delivers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by stormchaser2014, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cybirdy

Cybirdy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,403 / 38 / -0
    You guys are having a great December. Just keep it coming before those deductibles roll back over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +21,281 / 428 / -1
    I was going to bump the "Do you know what time it is" thread yesterday but couldn't find it. I was much sad. CF's search tool blows chunks.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. RunninMan

RunninMan Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +976 / 12 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +19,785 / 562 / -1
    It’s was his last match. Wrestling up at 195 (weighed 170.4) to help team for team title, that they won. He motioned after head butt he was bleeding. The EMT freaked out and wouldn’t let him go, second one took over and they wrapped gauze around his head so one eye was completely covered and second about a third covered. Wrestled partially blind for two of the three periods.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17,300 / 431 / -8

Probably not interesting but I think we're going to do filled noodles which is a kind of dumpling.....dough wrapped meatloaf kinda. Sounds gross, it's good. Or maybe homemade pizza. But that might be Christmas Day, I think.

Lasagna would be another choice. Also not "different" though. Ok, none of those are really fitting the bill and I haven't answered your question lol.

6. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +17,300 / 431 / -8
    Oh, @Sousaclone, carnitas!

Or soup, I like birdy's soup idea.

7. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Ratings:
    +25,480 / 526 / -3
    We go to a Christmas Eve party at the home of our friends every year. They bake fresh rolls, and the chili simmers alllllllll day long. Cheese & Crackers & Veggie plates, and the guests bring a wide variety of sweet treats. I live for that chili every year; it's premium quality.

• Like Like x 4
  8. BoxsterCy

SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +21,281 / 428 / -1
    Go full on Charles Dickens. Ebenezer Scrooge was right, get a goose!

9. BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +19,785 / 562 / -1
    2Go easy and have a taco and nacho bar.

10. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Ratings:
    +13,897 / 175 / -1
    Been in the office since 8pm. People have meeting after meeting yet their plan is always a mess

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Ratings:
    +7,735 / 428 / -3
    Why is holiday get togethers so ******* frustrating to plan? The gfs dad is dead set on having gift opening on Christmas. No problem with eating the Sunday before, but have to have gifts on Christmas. Its been this way for 8 years and nobody likes, because we all have other stuff going on and are always late for ours. Cant ******* stand it. Next year, everyone can come to us, we will see how well that goes over.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Ratings:
    +13,897 / 175 / -1
    It's funny how people can turn the holidays into a chore. I remember here one time when there was an awful winter storm one poster said they were going to drive home no matter what because his grandmother would be so disappointed if he didn't make it back for Christmas. I said she'd be more disappointed if he froze to death in a ditch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +19,785 / 562 / -1

Here is some advice from a soon to be married for 21 years man. Need to find out if the gf is also set on this. Suggest spending Christmas "just together" once. If she doesn't even consider it and says that dad will be upset. You can expect to be doing whatever dad wants from here on out.

I don't say to break family traditions just to be a jerk, but once you have kids, if you do, you will want Christmas morning as a family. Christmas should be about getting together and just being with those you are close to, shouldn't be any set traditions unless everyone definitely loves doing it. If Christmas is the only thing locked in for her side, then probably just roll with it. If you do the 4th the same way, thanksgiving the same, birthdays (at a certain age these should stop, IMO about 20 or them married is a solid date), or other things, then you need to decide which one/s you will follow and which become yours.

This coming from a husband of a wife that hates change and every holiday and other things should be like it has been since she was 5. Hence why I basically hate all holiday season, its about tradition and not family when certain protocols HAVE to be followed.

14. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25,480 / 526 / -3
    That's NYE for us. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. ImJustKCClone

Jun 18, 2013
    Ratings:
    +25,480 / 526 / -3
    To add to BC's comments - children definitely complicate things. :)
    Family holidays in the past were easier because families stayed relatively close, geography wise. When they're all spread out, it's tough to bring them together all at the same time. We've been grateful to have 14 of the 16 grandkids & their parents here twice in the last few years, and those were not on traditional holiday dates - we gathered once for Lew's 60th and again for a "bon voyage" party for youngest when he moved his crew to Okinawa for three years.

IMO, some parents need to learn when to let go. We have our Thanksgiving dinner the Saturday after, and whoever shows, shows. Same way for NYE - we have the party every year, and sometimes we have 8-10 people, and sometimes we have 25-30. We have a good time either way.

And sometimes kids need to let go also. We stopped having a family Christmas gathering about 10 years ago. After re-scheduling a half-dozen times due to one kid or another changing their plans to suit their other parents & inlaws (blended families are SO fun!), and expecting us to contact everyone to reschedule, I finally told Lew the hell with it - we're going to AZ next year. And we did. Shocked the heck out of the kids! But now, they all have their own close knit Christmas mornings in their own homes. And I think that's a good thing. Christmas should not have the added stress of having to please everyone all the time. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Cybirdy

Cybirdy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Ratings:
    +2,403 / 38 / -0
    We are happiest doing our own thing and thankfully neither side parents are demanding. The past few years we hit the IL’s at Thanksgiving or for a late Christmas (usually try to go when others will also be there since his brothers live in CO and it is the best chance to see them). With kids at Santa age it is so much easier to have Christmas morning at home. Then for the past 5-6+ years we have my side Christmas before a Cyclone bball game after Christmas. Every one is dressed in Cyclone gear, we order Hickory Park meat and eat sandwiches, open presents, then go to the game. This year there is no good game (date wise) after Christmas and now my parents are driving to the bowl game and will be gone 12/25-1/1 or so. If it happens, it happens. But we are pretty relaxed about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. dirtyninety

dirtyninety Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    Ratings:
    +2,840 / 202 / -24
    I don't know....they are going to throw some serious cash at whoever does it. Gonna be hard to say no. Ellen seems like a safe vegas bet to get it. harmless and predictable. Boring really. Keven Spacey is probably not on the list. Will they dredge up Wanda Sykes or Queen Latifa?
    I could see Tom Hanks agreeing to doing it at some last minute, hero day-saving publicity stunt....but he would simply introduce the CGI and the other announcers....he would forgo any monologue or creative content.
    That will probably be the future....just have a figurehead to run television ads on ad nauseum from Jan. 1 onwards....and the zombie crowd will turn in to see George Clooney just read the names of the presenters as they sashay up to the microphone and do their movie promotion or political attack.

18. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Washington DC
    Ratings:
    +54,144 / 2,022 / -57
    Done.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. BoxsterCy

SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +21,281 / 428 / -1
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BoxsterCy

SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +21,281 / 428 / -1
    Bears repeating, the amount of stupid in MBB threads > then the amount of stupid in football threads