Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Growing up hunting in Iowa, crossing fences was like getting in and out of a vehicle. Of course, there was always the occasional poke......and for guys, that can be scary.
You got that right! I recall one time out hunting when I observed a cow trying to jump a fence that wound up getting tangled and flipped itself over. True deal man, true deal. #coolstorybro

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
bent-penny.jpg
We used to say he was so cheap he would squeeze a nickel so hard the buffalo would ****.

And I wasn't even around when they made buffalo nickels.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Flag football update...

First half wasn't too bad. Second half I had two targets one I caught and actually did pretty good with but was called down at the one. Next play our QB was dumb and decided to try and flip it to someone and it was intercepted and ran back for a TD. The second target was thrown at my feet. I nearly caught it but dropped it. Our QB messed up his arm but kept playing through it which wasn't great but whatever. Second half went down hill quick.

One thing that ticked me off was one guy on the opposing team kept standing down the line while we were on O and would just say everyone that was on the line was offsides. When they were on D he lined up right over the ball and would flip his hand over in an attempt to block the snap. Stuff like that just takes the fun out of it IMO. It is a rec league guys none of us are getting drafted here.

The management also continues to go down as we had no ref to start on time and they had to get a volunteer ref for the other game that was going on.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Random thought from today: those live songs they play on the radio--country or rock either one--are really annoying when they have the song lyric change to the local city they are performing in....e.g. "...in Cleveland...."....and the sound mixers ramp up the crowd scream response....so freaking stupid and boring.

Random observation: My grandparents-the greatest generation-- pinched pennies. Gen X I have long noticed will not even bend over to pick a penny up. This latest crop of wonderful gringos....Millenials I guess we call them....actually just throw pennies on the ground and at each other. I have witnessed it enough to make that generalization. Weird. Saw it today.

I throw pennies away, because they're trash. There's literally no valid reason pennies are even a thing anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: dirtyninety

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I throw pennies away, because they're trash. There's literally no valid reason pennies are even a thing anymore.
I used to think the same but than I heard that the biggest lobby that wants to keep the penny are charities. They get a very substantial portion of their funding from people putting pennies in their collection things. Now I'm a bit more conflicted.

By the way, I was in your 'hood yesterday at the sculpture garden.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: dirtyninety

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't believe that. Can you cut me a deal on rental for my mistress? They're so demanding these days. I miss the days when all they wanted were a few carnations, nylons and a couple packs of cigarettes.
Frankly, I think they branded it that way because there is crap for parking over there. So why not market it as some sort of haven for cyclists?

At least that is what I would do if it were mine.

Which it's not.

As far as you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.