Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Felt sorry for the radio guy last night at the wrestling meet so I wondered over. Has a new guy but he apparently showed up late and sat in the crowd then. Was a meet where I probably was the better option. A lot of breaks and I’m probably better at filling those 30 minute holes in action with minor comedy routines or off the cuff stuff and somehow tie it to something wrestling. We talked about 5 minutes about drama club on the radio. The radio guy perked up when I mentioned them and went on a tear, apparently that is his wheelhouse.
So if I'm ever asked to provide commentary for a wrestling meet I should talk about drama club? Noted.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I usually dread the thought of opening presents for myself. In a weird way, it's actually made me appreciate what I do receive even more.

The gift-giving thing might be more of a personality thing than a family thing. Exchanging gifts isn't a big deal to me (like you, I enjoy the getting together with family part) but it is to my wife. I feel like we were raised in very similar families. Our parents are almost exact clones of each other personality-wise.

My family exchanged presents for Christmas, that was it. My wife’s family used to have a celebration and buy presents for something like someone mowing their law. I’m not like that.

My family is not a material possessions group, Mrs. BCs family is very materialistic.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So, about that.
Dude sent an email late at night with 10 images of his handiwork.(see, he writes by hand, and photographs the work-----that'll never be accepted again).
Just the same stuff as the other submission bombs.

Another email with 17 images. Same stuff, sometimes multiple times, but this included pages 2, 4, and 5. None of them make up anything like an essay, so it doesn't change anything.

When he complains, I'm going to calmly recommend making sure classes have a full-time instructor with the resources to help him out next time around. Not a knock, but he needs better than what DMACC will provide, as in, someone like me is too busy not being paid by the school most of the semester to come down and help outside of class because we're too busy doing stuff that pays in our desperate attempt to scramble through life.

Just another consequence of going cheap and exploitive in the reliance on adjuncts. This guy is a decent enough guy who partially got screwed by my lack of availability, but also largely through his own awful work.
If you can't write a fricken paper, you aren't ready for college. I know, another "back in the day" story, but back in the day you couldn't pass our high school English classes if you couldn't write a paper.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I was talking to somebody recently about colleges. Their daughter is a senior and is going to attend the University of Manitoba. It evidently is a very good engineering school, costs less than half of what the University of Minnesota costs (in-state tuition), and you generally graduate in three years. The biggest drawback seems to be the language barrier. There just aren't many people that speak Canadian.
Do you mean there or here?

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
If you can't write a fricken paper, you aren't ready for college. I know, another "back in the day" story, but back in the day you couldn't pass our high school English classes if you couldn't write a paper.

He's from another country. I can understand some struggle to an extent.
That said, it's another way that this crooked adjunct system fails him. Whether he needed a punitive/corrective approach or someone to come alongside and help him out, that wasn't available here.

On the punitive side, I would usually take him aside, show him the error of his ways and run him through the disciplinary process to learn through pain. Since DMACC scheduled me to be unpaid until December, I spent 50+ hours a week working other jobs so we could pretend to scrape by. That meant no time to deal with that, so I did it through a note and tried to give him another shot (which never works for any background).

I also would usually offer to meet with him outside of class, but my adjuncting situation took that out of the picture. I couldn't go down during the day, because work, and I couldn't meet before class because rev works, so he's on his own there.

I'll recommend a full-time instructor to him on the basis that he needs some kind of extra help, whichever side that help falls on. Working with an adjunct does him no favors, and the school itself doesn't care. They're just taking the money.

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Guess these Christmas movies based on still-shots. Answers at the bottom.

1)A Christmas Story 2)A Christmas Carol 3)National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 4)The Grinch 5)White Christmas 6)Home Alone 7)Miracle on 34th Street 8)Elf 9)Scrooged 10)A Charlie Brown Christmas 11)Die Hard - yes, it's a Christmas movie

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

1)A Christmas Story 2)A Christmas Carol 3)National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 4)The Grinch 5)White Christmas 6)Home Alone 7)Miracle on 34th Street 8)Elf 9)Scrooged 10)A Charlie Brown Christmas 11)Die Hard - yes, it's a Christmas movie
Cool. I cannot actually see any of the images. That makes the quiz especially tough.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis

I got all these right when I replied and I still couldn't see the images. It did show the answers though.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Worldwide. There just aren't many Canadians. Maybe it's not so much a language barrier. It may just be that they are always slurring their words.
But the French accent is kinda cool, in a romantic sort of way.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Dead time so I flipped on the TV and skimmed a few news stations for half an hour, reminded me again why I stopped watching them several years ago. Since I finished Reprisal, gotta find something new.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just saw a commercial that made me laugh at what wasn’t expected. Zycam or something like that. Thought it was odd that it had 4 out of five people in it who were gingers. Thought how do you find that many without looking for them. Then I realized they had to be looking for them since the orange hair matched the orange product box and background. Wonder if they asked the AA guy if he would don orange hair for it?

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of this Christmas gift giving talk made me realize I still have some Christmas shopping left to do. Checked off a new travel bag (for me). Checked off new phone (for me). Checked off the ISU bowl game (for me). To be shopped, new laptop (for me). To be shopped, new iron skillets (for me). To be shopped, mo' wine (for me). Most of the stuff just comes wrapped in an Amazon box which is cool since I don't have a tree to put them under anyway. :rolleyes:

Just more stuff for you all to come get when I drop dead running on the track later today. The suitcase will probably be on the porch in a snow covered Amazon box later today. Car keys are in the dresser drawer. You'll have to torch open the gun safe, pretty sure BCC was safe cracker at some point in his career and knows how to operate a torch. There is a box of Santa chocolates on the kitchen counter you might drop in the mail to my niece for me. When you're done just set the place on fire on you're way out.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
All of this Christmas gift giving talk made me realize I still have some Christmas shopping left to do. Checked off a new travel bag (for me). Checked off new phone (for me). Checked off the ISU bowl game (for me). To be shopped, new laptop (for me). To be shopped, new iron skillets (for me). To be shopped, mo' wine (for me). Most of the stuff just comes wrapped in an Amazon box which is cool since I don't have a tree to put them under anyway. :rolleyes:

Just more stuff for you all to come get when I drop dead running on the track later today. The suitcase will probably be on the porch in a snow covered Amazon box later today. Car keys are in the dresser drawer. You'll have to torch open the gun safe, pretty sure BCC was safe cracker at some point in his career and knows how to operate a torch. There is a box of Santa chocolates on the kitchen counter you might drop in the mail to my niece for me. When you're done just set the place on fire on you're way out.
Dibs on the wine. I'm pretty sure that I just went into the bathroom on the 4th floor and came out on the 3rd floor. I think that means that I could use a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron