Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
A friend of facebook posted that Hector Avalos (professor at ISU) passed away. I wonder what happened? He wasn't that old.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So, class had the week 13 talk today, where we're going to talk about something so awful that I feel the need to warn them that today will be awful, and then it sinks in for them that it's bad enough that even I think it needs a warning.

Is it bad that makes me curious what it was?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Is it bad that makes me curious what it was?

No, that's the hidden point.
We warmed up with reactions to the Civil War Amendments and Grant's war against the Klan. We spent most of our time with the Colfax Massacre, presentations of it, and then finding out that a Supreme Court justice blocked the federal government from any role in protecting civil rights, declaring it, among other things, a state's jurisdiction.

So, it was a "don't bother with hope" anymore sort of day. Week 13 just gets special.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We don't tailgate much. Just never really had a group to join up with. Once or twice a season, we drop by CF friends' tailgates just to catch up & say howdy. I'm usually packing my water bottle and Lew has his ubiquitous Pepsi.

Last time, Velo forced a super-sized Black Russian on me and that was more alcohol than I had had in the previous six months. Don't remember much of the first quarter...but I enjoyed it, I'm sure. ;)

There might be a little poetic license in the Velo part of the story... :D
"Forced" :rolleyes:

:p

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
tumblr_pjgc7bWohS1wib72vo1_400.gifv

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No, that's the hidden point.
We warmed up with reactions to the Civil War Amendments and Grant's war against the Klan. We spent most of our time with the Colfax Massacre, presentations of it, and then finding out that a Supreme Court justice blocked the federal government from any role in protecting civil rights, declaring it, among other things, a state's jurisdiction.

So, it was a "don't bother with hope" anymore sort of day. Week 13 just gets special.

You're able to teach about this...in Iowa?

I'll stop.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yea, The computer world isn't near as glamorous as the old commercials for ITT Tech made it out to be.
So you are saying it was wise that I didnt finish my MIS degree and head into that field. I know the answer, because i would have finished around 2002, and I remember people getting cut loose fast in programming and other tech areas back then. Only positive is I would have been a half time IT person for my company and half other (a job that they realized was above and beyond what they understood)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It has become apparent to me that there may need to be psychological profiles done before some people have weight loss surgery. While it’s good for them physically to be a healthier weight, several I know seem to not be able to mentally handle it. Wife has had to block several on Facebook due to a few wanting to become models for stuff (not hired, just promoting everything they buy hoping they can become like a kardashian) A couple want to become motivational speakers literally and try to start that career over social media. One has been fired from her job a couple times since she gets busy posting crazy videos over her breaks and loses track of time.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Oh, wow. Any other info?
Born in 1958. Was a Pentecostal preacher and child evangelist, before becoming an atheist.

If memory serves me correctly, he was instrumental in preventing Guillermo Gonzalez, the assistant Astronomy(?) professor tenure -- mainly because he co-wrote "A Privileged Planet", a speculative book about intelligent design.

From Wikipedia (where I get ALL my info):

The Institute has alleged that the book is "at the heart of the attacks on Iowa State University astronomer Guillermo Gonzalez" and played a role in his denial of tenure and that it provoked 124 of Gonzalez's faculty colleagues to sign a petition in 2005 denouncing intelligent design and urging all other faculty members to do the same.[5][6] The statement did not mention Guillermo Gonzalez or his involvement with the creationism movement, and faculty members, including Hector Avalos have denied that the statement was directed at Guillermo Gonzalez.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Born in 1958. Was a Pentecostal preacher and child evangelist, before becoming an atheist.

If memory serves me correctly, he was instrumental in preventing Guillermo Gonzalez, the assistant Astronomy(?) professor tenure -- mainly because he co-wrote "A Privileged Planet", a speculative book about intelligent design.

From Wikipedia (where I get ALL my info):

The Institute has alleged that the book is "at the heart of the attacks on Iowa State University astronomer Guillermo Gonzalez" and played a role in his denial of tenure and that it provoked 124 of Gonzalez's faculty colleagues to sign a petition in 2005 denouncing intelligent design and urging all other faculty members to do the same.[5][6] The statement did not mention Guillermo Gonzalez or his involvement with the creationism movement, and faculty members, including Hector Avalos have denied that the statement was directed at Guillermo Gonzalez.

I didn't know about his upbringing. I used to get really irritated when I'd read his opinion pieces in the DMReg or the Ames paper, until I realized I don't have to agree with someone's writing just because they don't believe what I do. I started to read them for the content and the context, and the way they made me think. I will miss those.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't know about his upbringing. I used to get really irritated when I'd read his opinion pieces in the DMReg or the Ames paper, until I realized I don't have to agree with someone's writing just because they don't believe what I do. I started to read them for the content and the context, and the way they made me think. I will miss those.
I agree with your not having to agree with someone to learn from them. I think you learn more from those with differing opinions than those with similar. Think it makes us all better to be exposed to various viewpoints and opinions. That is what made me mad when he pushed to deny another professor tenure based on his viewpoint. College is a time to open minds and get people to think, not only give them one view.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman and SCyclone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
So you are saying it was wise that I didnt finish my MIS degree and head into that field. I know the answer, because i would have finished around 2002, and I remember people getting cut loose fast in programming and other tech areas back then. Only positive is I would have been a half time IT person for my company and half other (a job that they realized was above and beyond what they understood)
It's just long hours and many weekends as most companies do maintenance over the weekend that you need to support. Of course that is us technical peons.
I'm still waiting for the part where an IT career leads to weekends on the lake in a speed boat surrounded by bikini clad supermodels.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
It's just long hours and many weekends as most companies do maintenance over the weekend that you need to support. Of course that is us technical peons.
I'm still waiting for the part where an IT career leads to weekends on the lake in a speed boat surrounded by bikini clad supermodels.

And don't forget the free expensive booze.

Status
Not open for further replies.