Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The French can't hold a candle to the German knack for clumping fourteen nouns & adjectives into one word...
The Dutch are pretty good at at that and with ridiculous pronunciations.

My Dad grew up in a small Dutch community. The names of the people he graduated with are awesome.
Delbert Vanderslice
Sandra Vanderstoop (his high school girlfriend)
Elmer Cortliver
Carol Klumper
Bernard Van Essen
Virgil Beukelman

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
This mist **** that doesn't show up on radar is annoying as hell. Trying to build a 4x3 small deck with steps and I've had to stop twice, today because of this and yesterday because of lightning.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hmmm, work days left in the year? Technically zero but should be 15 or so if I do all of the procrastinated home work I've put off for "when the weather turns colder". Taping/plaster/paint in guest room and den, painting in basement, attic insulation touch up and vapor barrier repair, replacing that old smoke detector that's like 18' above the floor, cutting old maple butcher block for cutting boards, build recessed display shelves, clean out the old man cave, rake/broom leaves off of roof, rake and bag the 50 bags plus before Thanksgiving, etc etc etc.

Abandoned the "redeck the front porch" (just replaced a few bad boards) till next year, same with the "fire up the pressure washer and hit the stucco". #slothlife

giphy.gif

Reactions: wxman1

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

My Dad grew up in a small Dutch community. The names of the people he graduated with are awesome.
Delbert Vanderslice
Elmer Cortliver
Carol Klumper
Bernard Van Essen
Virgil Beukelman
Gaelic for the win

Saoirse Ronan is an actress, if you Google "Saoirse Ronan pronunciation" you can hear how her first name is pronounced.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Gaelic for the win

Saoirse Ronan is an actress, if you Google "Saoirse Ronan pronunciation" you can hear how her first name is pronounced.
Im Irish American and have cousins with that name and I just call her S. My mouth can't make that name haha.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Im Irish American and have cousins with that name and I just call her S. My mouth can't make that name haha.
Sur-sha is easier to learn how to pronounce than Sade. I thought there was an r sound in it.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gaelic for the win

I'll see your Gaelic, and raise you Welsh, a language in desperate need of vowels. Longest Welsh town name:
Llanfairpwll-gwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob-wllllantysiliogogogoch

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll see your Gaelic, and raise you Welsh, a language in desperate need of vowels. Longest Welsh town name:
Llanfairpwll-gwyngyllgogerychwyrndrob-wllllantysiliogogogoch
My introduction to Welsh was reading a book and encountering the mountaineering term "cwm". I thought, "How the hell do you pronounce that?" It rhymes with zoom and is a Welsh word for a cirque or a steep sided hollow at the head of a valley.

I saw a friend of mine doing summer stock Shakespeare. They had included some Welsh lines for his character to magnify his "healthy" self esteem and he was pretty proud of how he pulled the Welsh off. He said that Welsh is pretty tough to learn but I told him it can't be that big of a deal since little kids learn it in Wales all the time. :cool:

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

Delbert Vanderslice
Elmer Cortliver
Carol Klumper
Bernard Van Essen
Virgil Beukelman

*eyebrow raise*

-silence-

ANYway...

I've seen a few FB posts that say "10 Fridays until Christmas!"

And I weep.

Because that means Thanksgiving is in six weeks...and work will be a very not so nice place the two weeks leading up to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.