Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Leave it to the French to include a whole bunch of extraneous letters. Let's use nine letters where six letters would be plenty. :p

I am fully aware that English has its share of similar problems. ;)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Leave it to the French to include a whole bunch of extraneous letters. Let's use nine letters where six letters would be plenty. :p

I am fully aware that English has its share of similar problems. ;)
The French can't hold a candle to the German knack for clumping fourteen nouns & adjectives into one word...

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Yup - means "a little something extra"
Yeah it's kind of a cool term because they use it with like a buy 12 get the 13th free situation and also as like a free sample to like induce someone to do business or go to a business.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The French can't hold a candle to the German knack for clumping fourteen nouns & adjectives into one word...
That is one of the craziest and best things ever. Hey, we aren't going to just borrow words from other languages - if we don't have a word for it we are just going to start clumping words together until we get something that gets it across. If it still doesn't work, we'll just add a couple more words to our new compound word.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SaraV

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah it's kind of a cool term because they use it with like a buy 12 get the 13th free situation and also as like a free sample to like induce someone to do business or go to a business.
We used it more in the sense of
Something good happens, and a little something extra also happens because of the good thing that happened, so...bonus!
It has definitely become more commercialized over the years outside of family/friend usage.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
A guy I know that owns 2 bars has a policy that if you are there M-F prior to 5pm you get a drink at 5pm on the house. I should start calling it the lagniappe.
I know one guy that would probably know it as he is from down in Cajun country

Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Yea but they can't hold a candle to names in India.
I had a guy bothering me that had 32 letters in his first/last name combined
I work with a guy who has 2 last names that were so long they just shortened it to the first letter of each name, KK. So in all the official emails and user information, you never see his last names, just KK.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I work with a guy who has 2 last names that were so long they just shortened it to the first letter of each name, KK. So in all the official emails and user information, you never see his last names, just KK.
Ah, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.