RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
“Today, I, as RAGBRAI director, will resign that post that I’ve held for 16 years, as well as my entire staff,”

Well...That seems significant.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
Hmmm.... so this will compete with RAGBRAI, at presumably the same time? Noticed they are announcing the route in Nov this year...

Reactions: casey1973

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow. This is Carson King-related!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
DM Rag is a sinking ship and I bet you part of this is because of fall out from the whole Carson King smear job too.

“Today, I, as RAGBRAI director, will resign that post that I’ve held for 16 years, as well as my entire staff,” said Juskiewicz. "We put our heart and soul into this event, but when our principles are compromised, we just can't go on."

I don't know what else the bolded part could be in reference to. If the Carson King fallout wasn't the main reason it had to at least be a contributing factor.

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
“Today, I, as RAGBRAI director, will resign that post that I’ve held for 16 years, as well as my entire staff,” said Juskiewicz. "We put our heart and soul into this event, but when our principles are compromised, we just can't go on."

I don't know what else the bolded part could be in reference to. If the Carson King fallout wasn't the main reason it had to at least be a contributing factor.
His full statement was just read on Murph & Andy. It was absolutely about the Carson King controversy.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Who owns RAGBRAI?

how else can you plan a week long trip across Iowa as a start up?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
We’re going to lose RAGBRAI over this? Jesus Christ, Register. Die in a damn fire.

I guess the way I read it is that RAGBRAI will still be a thing; there will just be a competing ride that occurs at the exact same time. Looking at the Iowa's ride website it looks like the 2020 route will go through northern Iowa.

http://iowasride.com/route/

edit: this is assuming that the Reg opts to find another RAGBRAI organizer. I suppose they could choose to just drop it if they don't want to compete.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wow. This is Carson King-related!

The dude's legend just keeps growing! If his story has even the slightest to do with them making this move it's just the gift that keeps on giving. These are former Register employees that run RAGBRAI and them ending their affiliation with them is a huge blow regardless what the reasons behind it are.

I am friends with a son of a retired sports writer who used to work for the Rag and asked him what his dad thought of the whole mess they created with the Carson King story. He said his dad couldn't believe they would ever go down such a road like that and even worse how they handled the fallout made him even more angry about it. Wonder if someone like Sean Keeler or Bryce Miller ever commented on that situation and what their thoughts are of current state of the DMR now they have been gone from it awhile now.

Reactions: usedcarguy

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
The Register is trying so hard to keep people from seeing this. Everything that's being shared in a conversation with some friends of mine is resulting in "page not found" by the time you click on it.