RAGBRAI Organizers Split from Register

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There is nothing quite like stopping at a random farmhouse in the middle of nowhere with thousands of other riders, drinking beer and hanging out, knowing that there's nothing ahead of you but more of the same. It's like an extended tailgate.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Is the Register even involved with it still? At some point my guess is they will drop out and they will just keep it Ragbrai do to the name.

The register has much more important things to do. Like hard hitting investigative work to see if someone who might be doing good in the community may have said something when they were 6 that might retroactively offend someone.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My outdoor temp reads 102. Wonder what the temp is on the ride to Waterloo today? I would suppose the road temp would be about 10 or so degrees higher than the air temp. I feel bad for these guys but then again they signed up for it. Just don't want anyone to die due to the heat.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The register has much more important things to do. Like hard hitting investigative work to see if someone who might be doing good in the community may have said something when they were 6 that might retroactively offend someone.
Nothing like holding a grudge for a paper that ended up firing that reporter, and now almost 2 whole years later you are still pissed about it. When was the last time you read an actual paper anyway?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
so I guess you can say the reason you don't like RAGBRAI is because you can't handle seeing a bunch of guys in bike shorts? lol. Get a hold of yourself.

Lighten up Francis. I think RAGBRAI is great. Never done it.

But I'd be hard pressed to find a time when I'd tailgate for football in biker shorts.

In other words you missed the joke no matter how bad it was.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Was on it for 3 days...about all I care to take of that ride. Rider counts and vendors way down. Availability of hand sanitizer in needed spots was ridiculously bad from both a Ragbrai/vendor and local establishment standpoint, considering what we still have going on. Bars packed and hot as usual. Probably the last time I go. Much better rides available across the country in much more beautiful areas.
I can verify this also from friends who are riding.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
There is nothing quite like stopping at a random farmhouse in the middle of nowhere with thousands of other riders, drinking beer and hanging out, knowing that there's nothing ahead of you but more of the same. It's like an extended tailgate.
I've never done RAGBRAI but I really want to. Thinking about talking to some buddies about starting a group to do it every year as a fun reunion type thing.

Would you (or any other CFers) recommend?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I've never done RAGBRAI but I really want to. Thinking about talking to some buddies about starting a group to do it every year as a fun reunion type thing.

Would you (or any other CFers) recommend?
Definitely. It's an absolute blast. Even doing a single day is worth it, especially if you've got a good group to ride with.

Frog

May 6, 2021
The full timers started the ride in the humid 90's, and will end in the 70's....IOWA WEATHER!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron