Race Thompson

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I generally agree with this post. People do generally like the Gophers, though most don't follow the team closely. There's more Gopher apparel than any other school. ISU is probably third, after Wisconsin and ahead of Iowa and North Dakota State.
I will say, I have noticed a lot more ISU license plate outliners and car stickers in the recent past. Which is always fun to see:)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Not that I don't believe you didn't see much Gopher apparel where you lived, but since I've moved here I havent been able to get away from the fact that everyone in Minnesota loves the Gophers and follows them heavily like anything else Minnesotan.

There is no comparison between the Barn and Hilton, absolutely zero, but Minnesota fans still swear the Barn is tough place to play (as if noone has played on an elevated floor before)

Did you watch the Michigan an Minnesota officiating? No wonder it's so hard to play there.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I'd heard that Race Thompson choose to visit for the Baylor game because Baylor is very much recruiting him as well. He's in to see both teams. Iowa State has closed the gap, but Baylor was a strong lean for Race a few months ago.

Halsted shot down this rumor (other than the fact he will be watching two schools who are both recruiting him). He won't have any communication with Baylor during the trip, though.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ISU did put a couple of bigs

I also hear word that Drew is on the short list for Indiana, I have no idea how that impacts the situation, and how they stack up for big guys , but there is that variable that is out there.

Thank you, I have a new thing to root for (Drew going to Indiana). I'd much rather see Baylor go back to the cellar, and I like Drew.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I generally agree with this post. People do generally like the Gophers, though most don't follow the team closely. There's more Gopher apparel than any other school. ISU is probably third, after Wisconsin and ahead of Iowa and North Dakota State.
I think people like the Gophers and casually cheer for them but it isn't anywhere close to the passion of Cyclone fans. I just think that having pro sports teams to distract you from the Gophers makes it easier to drift in and out depending on how good they are.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I understand the point you're making but it should probably say east on I94 or I394. Sorry. This was very geography police-ish.

Thanks, my bad for some reason I thought the kid was from Rochester.MN. Don't know why I thought that.

Edit: Oh I was thinking of Matthew Hurt..Hey a fellow can dream right :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
so he just came down for a game in Hilton a few weeks ago for the heck of it? I suppose that's possible.

Free front row seats for ISU vs KU are hard to say no to. I was just told by someone who would know that if he stays in state he'll play for his dad when he visited for that game. Things can change but I don't expect him to end up here

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Free front row seats for ISU vs KU are hard to say no to. I was just told by someone who would know that if he stays in state he'll play for his dad when he visited for that game. Things can change but I don't expect him to end up here

Well, thanks for the info. I hope our staff knows that so they can move on, then.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
ISU did put a couple of bigs

I also hear word that Drew is on the short list for Indiana, I have no idea how that impacts the situation, and how they stack up for big guys , but there is that variable that is out there.

What short list is needed for Indiana? While things haven't gone smoothly for Crean this season, he's lost two starters to injury, and just won the Big 10 a year ago. Guess I haven't thought or heard that his job is actually in jeopardy. Just typical coach bashing, right?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What short list is needed for Indiana? While things haven't gone smoothly for Crean this season, he's lost two starters to injury, and just won the Big 10 a year ago. Guess I haven't thought or heard that his job is actually in jeopardy. Just typical coach bashing, right?

Once a seat is hot, it usually stays warm. They have some fairly jacked up expectations, which seems to be the norm, particularly at a blue blood. Timely article:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...a-basketball-tom-crean-buyout-ncaa-tournament

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

tea leaves say his job is in jeopardy.. Fans of Indiana live in the 70's and early 80's.
They don't make the tourney the talk is he will get the boot.

ISUalways

Jul 16, 2014
State of Iowa
Prohm visited last Friday..Race was in Waco for the Kstate game and I believe he'll be in Ames for the game against the Bears. Baylor is probably his favorite at this point from what I'm hearing. Race and his family really like Prohm and I know they watch every Cyclone game so I'd say we're very much in the running.
I hope Race is watching the Baylor game tonight on ESPN. There can't be over 3K fans at the game.
Hilton Magic should be a eye opening experience for him.
Go Cyclones

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Not that I don't believe you didn't see much Gopher apparel where you lived, but since I've moved here I havent been able to get away from the fact that everyone in Minnesota loves the Gophers and follows them heavily like anything else Minnesotan.

There is no comparison between the Barn and Hilton, absolutely zero, but Minnesota fans still swear the Barn is tough place to play (as if noone has played on an elevated floor before)
I grew up in Lakeville and I'm surprised people are saying that Minnesotans follow the gophers. Minnesota is a pro state. I rarely hear them talk about the gophers and the media tends to bash them/ignore them unless they are amazing. IDK maybe it has changed since I went to Iowa State, but I always felt like Wisconsin, Iowa, ISU, and other schools have more passionate fan bases inside Minnesota. Even my high schools friends couldn't care less for the gophers.

Last edited:

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I think people like the Gophers and casually cheer for them but it isn't anywhere close to the passion of Cyclone fans. I just think that having pro sports teams to distract you from the Gophers makes it easier to drift in and out depending on how good they are.
His father being an AA running back for the Gophers would be my biggest concern, but I'm not hearing anything about any Big10 schools he has interest in right now. Just hearing Baylor and us right now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Where do you live? My friends who moved to the cities acid that Minny was a total non factor there.

• Disagree
Reactions: KezClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron