Post-game TCU celebration thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
The good:
Breece Hall is a very good running back.
Offensive line much better today, even with Downing out.
Scates and Wilson with big catches. Hopefully they continue to be part of the offense going forward.
Defensive line - all beasts.
Mike Rose saved the game with an incredible pick.

The bad:
Tom Manning still with lots of 'WTF' calls. 4 rushes in the first half for Breece Hall? Turrible.
Take the sack, Purdy. Might be the worst decision I've ever seen.
Safeties need to be better against OU.

But, we won. So celebrate *******!
tenor.gif

Lineup

Jan 7, 2017
The good:
Breece Hall is a very good running back.
Offensive line much better today, even with Downing out.
Scates and Wilson with big catches. Hopefully they continue to be part of the offense going forward.
Defensive line - all beasts.
Mike Rose saved the game with an incredible pick.

The bad:
Tom Manning still with lots of 'WTF' calls. 4 rushes in the first half for Breece Hall? Turrible.
Take the sack, Purdy. Might be the worst decision I've ever seen.
Safeties need to be better against OU.

But, we won. So celebrate *******!
tenor.gif
WTF calls are getting to be routine

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The only thing that really bothered me about today was the poor passing game still and conservative play calling.

Like someone had mentioned at the time.... on that 3rd down play in the 4th qtr where we ran the play, but it didn't count because CMC had called a timeout.... then we came out of the timeout and ran a simple handoff up the middle to Hall on 3rd and 5 and lost 3 yds.... that could have cost us the game had Rose not come up with a huge INT.

I absolutely hate that conservative BS play calling. That is playing to lose.... not to win.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The only thing that really bothered me about today was the poor passing game still and conservative play calling.

Like someone had mentioned at the time.... on that 3rd down play in the 4th qtr where we ran the play, but it didn't count because CMC had called a timeout.... then we came out of the timeout and ran a simple handoff up the middle to Hall on 3rd and 5 and lost 3 yds.... that could have cost us the game had Rose not come up with a huge INT.

I absolutely hate that conservative BS play calling. That is playing to lose.... not to win.
Good point. Complain about the play calling after a game when we averaged 8.3 yards per play.

So many of you seem to want the play calling to be absolutely perfect. Flawless. That doesn’t even happen in the NFL.

Not to mention that both execution and your opponent’s play call on defense are factors as well.

As far as the latter, I recall a retired quarterback (Sage?) talking about how many times they came up to the line of scrimmage, the defense had the right alignment. And even when they audibled, the defense got lucky and shifted into the correct formation.

It falls into the category of “stuff happens”. Or if you prefer that particular direction, “fog of war”. No plan survives contact with the enemy.

kcbob79clone

Good point. Complain about the play calling after a game when we averaged 8.3 yards per play.

So many of you seem to want the play calling to be absolutely perfect. Flawless. That doesn’t even happen in the NFL.

Not to mention that both execution and your opponent’s play call on defense are factors as well.

As far as the latter, I recall a retired quarterback (Sage?) talking about how many times they came up to the line of scrimmage, the defense had the right alignment. And even when they audibled, the defense got lucky and shifted into the correct formation.

It falls into the category of “stuff happens”. Or if you prefer that particular direction, “fog of war”. No plan survives contact with the enemy.

On the positive side, we now have the talent to turn a 5 yard play into a 75 yard touchdown or a circus catch or a circus interception.

We have the talent to overcome bad play calls.

Last edited:

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

Tough post for the hindsight crowd to make sense of.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

This offense is having its struggles even though we averaged 8.3 ypc and scored 38 points. For instance our running game was all or nothing. We had 4 runs for 175 yards. The other 24 carries were for 38 yards. Gotta like the the big plays, but averaging 1.5 ypc on 80% of our carries is an issue.

On defense, we played pretty well but we are having big time issues in the deep middle. Just too many big plays between the hashes the first two games.

I have harped on it before, but IMO we should be playing a lot more 4-2-5 defense. It's misleading to say we are getting enough QB pressures based on 6 sacks. When we didn't get sacks, the TCU QB's felt little pressure. There are way too many passing lanes when only 3 DL rush. It also makes it easy for the QB to move around the pocket, when 2 of the DL get in the same area. Sure we can blitz- but I would rather have a big bodied DL bring pressure than a LB or DB.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I think this team will go as far as the running game takes it. It's a glaring problem after two games that our WR struggle to get open, which is kind of weird because we didn't really lose that much speed at the position. Having both Milton and Kolar playing at the same time would help. TCU had zero respect for our passing game. Luckily the WR made just enough plays to make them pay. Scates is a guy who seems like he should have some ability to get separation. Hopefully he continues to improve and earns more playing time.

The good news is the running game looks much stronger than any of the past Campbell teams. Even with Montgomery, the O-line wasn't opening much, it was pretty much him making stuff happen. The O-line was creating holes against stacked boxes today against a typically pretty good TCU defense. We have the RB to take advantage of that now too. I thought run blocking was decent again Louisiana too, but the pass protection was awful. That's a pretty good sign as it will take some pressure off the WR which are definitely the weakness of the offense right now.