Parking for Saturday

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I think we'll be alright as long as Ames doesn't get hit by a spotty t-storm that drops 2+. The lots are starting off plenty dry and we'll get heat and wind on it every day. The downside is that the heaviest precipitation is foretasted for Thursday. Even that is only around a 1/2".

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is one rainy week enough to close the grass lots? It’s been dry for weeks.

I thought the lots were usually closed when it had been rainy for weeks.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Is one rainy week enough to close the grass lots? It’s been dry for weeks.

I thought the lots were usually closed when it had been rainy for weeks.

I took a look at the Ames COOP weather station on the mesonet and August 2018 had 8.4" vs August 2019 has only had 2" of precip. After that disastrous month of August, there was 4" of rain the 1st week of September. Completely different situations so far.

I think they'll be fine unless they get hit by a monster storm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I took a look at the Ames COOP weather station on the mesonet and August 2018 had 8.4" vs August 2019 has only had 2" of precip. After that disastrous month of August, there was 4" of rain the 1st week of September. Completely different situations so far.

I think they'll be fine unless they get hit by a monster storm.

Last fall was a disaster.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I haven't been keeping up with Ames' rainfall over the last month, so if it has been rather dry recently I think we might still be OK unless they get 2+ inches on Thursday afternoon/night.

That's not what is forecasted either, so I'll keep hoping. I also think JP will be less inclined to close the lots with what's at stake with CGD coming and us wanting to show off one of the best college football gameday atmospheres in the country.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I know that’s literally what they do, I mean in a bigger way with notices about options for people.

Like dedicated shuttles directly to/from from specific parking areas, instead of the normal routes?

This is exactly right. While Cy Ride does this regularly, most people aren't familiar with how it operates, and there is a need for a specialized solution. Even if you advertise a normal route as a special solution, people need to think it's directed at them. Think of all the parking at the mall, which has a big bus stop right there. And both Wal Marts. Even KMart could be covered by insurance, and picked up after by a group of volunteers.

• Winner
Reactions: Jer

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I haven't been keeping up with Ames' rainfall over the last month, so if it has been rather dry recently I think we might still be OK unless they get 2+ inches on Thursday afternoon/night.

That's not what is forecasted either, so I'll keep hoping. I also think JP will be less inclined to close the lots with what's at stake with CGD coming and us wanting to show off one of the best college football gameday atmospheres in the country.

Been abnormally dry throughout Iowa. The dryness started in SE Iowa and worked north. Our lawns had shut down up here on the MN border even. We can soak up a couple inches of rain in a day.

• Funny
Reactions: cstrunk

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Seriously. The Grass Lots will be Open if there is sunshine on Friday. No way is Pollard going to leave those lots empty with GameDay coming to Ames.

60% Chance Thursday with low chances that evening. Clear and Sunny Friday. We are talking about parking on a grass lot. We aren’t tilling the ground to plant corn. Plus we were dry coming in. Lots will be open almost guaranteed

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The majority of Story county is in stage 1 drought right now. Things are pretty dry.

Reactions: Stormin

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I'm hearing they will do everything in their power not to close the grass lots. If the lots aren't lakes... they'll be open. As someone said above they'll take the turf damage to not damage the atmosphere for CGD. I imagine they'll have to close off some low spots but not whole lots. Here's to hoping Thursday's forecast goes the way of the UNI game forecast: Lots of rain to almost nothing.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY and Stormin

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone know of a good little spot to park north of Campus? I wont be able to get to Ames till around 1 or so due prior commitments. I'll be coming from the north so I was gonna take 13th street and park by the pool/freddy ct area, walk through that little tunnel and sneak down to the stadium. Thoughts?

Reactions: INTENSE_CY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Time to start praying the rain away

https://www.fpm.iastate.edu/webcam/stadium/

Ames is WET! grass lots need to dry out A LOT! They are puping water out of the construction site for the new Student Athlete Center

Holes in the ground tend to accumulate water. I think the panic is a little premature. As long as Ames doesnt get a couple inches between now and gameday and Friday remains sunny and windy I think it will be manageable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron