Open up the check book, Mr. Pollard

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Give him 2.75 million/yr and what ever he wants to give to his assistants.

4dyceclone

Oct 23, 2013
DSM
Self has a title, 10 conference championships, and how many final fours? Fred doesn't deserve Self money (yet) but he should definitely be in the top 1/3 of the conference. The program is clearly on the rise but let's not get too carried away about one Sweet 16 appearance.

Fair points, but Fred didn't start at ISU inheriting the team Self did at KU. Fred is building from the ground up and what he has accomplished, and his staff, is deserving of being a top paid coach. His ability to mesh talent together and make it work is Elite.

I know everyone here trusts Fred and says he wouldn't leave for money.... and I mostly agree but lets pay him enough so its not a question. I don't think you could over pay Hoiberg at this point.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Self has a title, 10 conference championships, and how many final fours? Fred doesn't deserve Self money (yet) but he should definitely be in the top 1/3 of the conference. The program is clearly on the rise but let's not get too carried away about one Sweet 16 appearance.

Self also has a bad habit of "Mama Cass"ing his way out of the tournament nearly every year.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
We're a basketball school. We need to pay our coaches accordingly. Fred will leave if and when he feels like leaving. But his salary should never be a reason he leaves. Make it happen JP.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Lets get Fred a raise. I think 3 mil a year sounds fair.

Self gets 3mil. Even Barnes gets 2.2 mil.

Lock him up now and end the NBA speculation. No more home town discounts.

Hoiberg is ISU Basketball.

While I get your point and he does need to get paid He doesn't deserve the same as Self. And saying no hometown discount is just wrong too. Of course if he takes a hometown discount because he loves it here we should give him it in exchange for long-term safety.

He is great and we're having a great year and the program looks like a national power for years to come, but he needs 10 more Big 12 regular season championships, 4 more Big 12 tourney championships, 8 more straight trips to the Big Dance to deserve Bill Self money.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
While Fred deserves every penny he makes you have to realize that financially he has already earned a nice chunk of change in the NBA ranks so I doubt money is a big issue to him. If anything he will want that money to go to keeping his assistants around. I am not opposed to giving Fred a raise but looking at the big picture I doubt Fred is looking to use ISU as a "stepping stone" like other hot coaches would.

JtownCy

Mar 25, 2013
Johnston
I'd be fine with that, but $5 per game is $100 per season and I guarantee you'd have some ticked off season ticket holders. I'll bet the cheap seats go up to $200 at least.

Agree but with what the scalpers were charging out front for most games I really don't think this is a stretch.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I'd be fine with that, but $5 per game is $100 per season and I guarantee you'd have some ticked off season ticket holders. I'll bet the cheap seats go up to $200 at least.
Of course there will be, heck there are some "fans" that are ****** they can no longer catch all games on WOI OTA (assuming the game was not scheduled at a bad time, like their afternoon nap).
But, if they are capable of any logical thought, they will eventually realize that the enjoyment from these past three seasons compared to the previous 10 is worth the extra $0.28/day.

Frankly, this argument sucks. Top 1/3 of the conference? Yeah, let's wait and make Fred prove even more just to save for a year or two what in the end is nothing.

How many titles and FF's did KU have before Self? You need to rethink your reasoning if you are going to base Fred's pay on comparing him to what Self has done at KU, especially the tournament which is mostly about luck, see UK, Babb injury/charge call, and Georges.

The question is always what is the next best option for a school, and for ISU it is not even close. Maybe you get lucky and get another Floyd or LE- there is tremendous risk there- and even if we were lucky and they won the same amount of games, we would have to pay them better than top 1/3, plus they would fall far short in the extra value Fred's story brings in.

Just because we know it will not be about the money does not mean you expect Fred to take a home team discount. You do not show appreciation with the slap in the face of, "well, Self has done more". You max out what you can offer to him and the program.

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I know that I'm a homer, but as I as watching the game today, at times I kept getting the uncanny impression that I was watching Fred Hoiberg outcoach Roy Williams. Think about that.

I don't know about the big dollars, but give him whatever he wants. The lifetime contract he already unofficially has, if that's what makes him feel good.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Fred is extremely respected by media and coaches in NCAA and NBA, IMO most NBA guys would tell Fred to stay where he is at Iowa State. The NBA life style is A** kicking grueling. @4dyceclone you are correct with Coach Fred being able to write his # in a checkbook for about ANY NCAA position that would come open. Coach Hoiberg has began a new type of college coaching that will now be emulated by coaches across the country. Fred WILL NOT up-root his family/kids from the Ames community and his parents RIGHT NOW. He doesn't need the $

Last edited:
Reactions: kingcy

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Coach seems to be having a lot of fun coaching, ISU. As does his family watching. His words and actions make it feel like he is going to be here a long time. Get him paid because he has earned every penny of it.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
While I get your point and he does need to get paid He doesn't deserve the same as Self. And saying no hometown discount is just wrong too. Of course if he takes a hometown discount because he loves it here we should give him it in exchange for long-term safety.

He is great and we're having a great year and the program looks like a national power for years to come, but he needs 10 more Big 12 regular season championships, 4 more Big 12 tourney championships, 8 more straight trips to the Big Dance to deserve Bill Self money.

If you believe this you are stupid, NBA coaches make 3-5 million a year. Hear me when I say this the NBA is calling, trust me on this, 3 million per is the number that Fred needs after this year.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Let Fred decide this one - if he wants the money, pay the man. If he wants the money to go to his assistants, pay them. Whatever Fred wants, give it to him. If Fred wants his name on the court, put it there. ISU is a PROGRAM now, and Fred is responsible for it.

What if I want Fred's name on the court? Can someone give that to me? Pollard I know you're reading this. I want the court to read: Coach Hoiberg Court.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've said it before but Teddy KGB says it best:

[video=youtube;1jUBbCgMWmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jUBbCgMWmE[/video]

Seriously, ask him what he wants. If it is money for his assistants; let it be written, let it be done.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I hope not. I'd probably be out.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Iowa State will not be able to match the nba dollar for dollar if they want him. Not concerned about another college team. I could see an assistant bump but beyond that I don't see the big difference.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron