Ok I have to say it.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Sparty- I for one really like you. Don't do this to me! I want you to stick around.

Did you know that Matt Campbell doesn't have an agent, and puts like half his salary in a trust for his kids? He's negotiated harder for his assistants to get raises and facility upgrades than for himself. Did you know that his staff is built on longtime close friendships and prefers to function as a unit in all areas? Did you know some of his highest ranked recruits have been sitting on the bench and barely gotten to play and he hasn't lost a single one? He's just built different. Plain and simple.

Don't believe everything you hear about what it takes to keep him around. CMC always says people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. And he knows we care as much as anyone has ever cared about anything. Is it really that hard to think that maybe just maybe that care is a two way street at this point?

Boy oh boy are you going to be heart broken when he leaves. I don’t want him to ever leave. But you have to be realistic, man.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: nrg4isu and 83cy

sleestakCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 2, 2013
Perspective from my couch and some much needed clarifications...

You really think those gigantic donors that every Big 10 school has are going to make up the difference between the SEC's $120 million and the Big Ten's $75 million?

That is not how donations and university foundations work...there would be an outright war between the academic side and the athletics side on most Big 10 campuses.

U Iowa does not have that kind of donor base. Nebraska does not. Minnesota does not. Northwestern does but they won't donate to athletics like that. I doubt that MSU, Purdue, Indiana have it either.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Boy oh boy are you going to be heart broken when he leaves. I don’t want him to ever leave. But you have to be realistic, man.
I didn't say he won't, just that he isn't the run of the mill caricature of a stepping stone guy eager to move on as soon possible for a higher paying gig as it is widely assumed. There's more to him and the situation than that. That's all.

I have faith it will be for a short list opportunity of a lifetime based on much more than money, and I will wish him nothing but the best because it will be more than deserved. Obviously.

EDIT: And I don't blame anyone outside our circles for assuming otherwise. I wouldn't even waste my time pointing it if it weren't for the fact that I like Sparty and he's hinted at it more than once and thought he deserved some inside baseball since he's taken a genuine interest in our site and our fans. By no means did I mean to come off as a never in a million years fan boy like many of us were with Hoiberg. I think they are legitimate relevant details.

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Matt might be a generational coach for ISU. But I am hopeful that as great a job he does in developing his players, that he also develops his coaches.

So when the time comes for Matt to leave, there will be a stud on his staff that will be the next great ISU coach!

Yes it is ALMOST AUGUST - so it is KOOLAID time!!

Reactions: RezClone

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
I'm not sure why folks think this is a bad idea. Realistically let's drop that to 10k fans at $100 each. That gets 100 players 10k each if we spread it evenly. Maybe sponsor 10 players at 100k, lots of options. Id certainly throw in for it.

Plus they could be obligated to join a podcast weekly for that NIL money, so we could get way more info. Worth every penny

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I'm not sure why folks think this is a bad idea. Realistically let's drop that to 10k fans at $100 each. That gets 100 players 10k each if we spread it evenly. Maybe sponsor 10 players at 100k, lots of options. Id certainly throw in for it.

Plus they could be obligated to join a podcast weekly for that NIL money, so we could get way more info. Worth every penny
It's not the worst idea in the world. And it seems to be coming from a good place. I just cringed because I knew he was going to get dragged and I have enjoyed our interaction with our new green buddy lol.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
Sparty’s thought is not unrealistic because this is what college football is set to become if NIL and ESPN’s consolidation play aren’t governed. A professional league with no salary cap, no luxury tax, no draft or any other measure to maintain a semblance of competitive balance. College football already has a problem with the same teams in the playoff every year. How many Clemson-Alabama title games can there be before interest and ratings start to take a hit? We may already be at that point. That’s why the current environment doesn’t make sense. If Iowa State makes the playoff this year its semifinal will probably set a ratings record, a national title game even more so. America craves David vs Goliath when the stakes are high. Unfortunately that NEVER happens in college football, by design.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron