Roster Changes for the Ireland and France Friendlies:
Incoming
Keepers: Steffen, Yarbrough
Defenders: Moore, Parker, Yedlin,
Midfielders: Adams, de la Torre, Saief, Trapp
Forward: Wood

Leaving:
Pulisic, Bono, Olosunde, Zimmerman, Guido, Gooch, and Horvath

Most were made before the Bolivia match, including Pulisic (who looked exhausted)

How freakin happy is Dortmund right now?

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
USMNT vs. Ireland on ESPN2 starting up here in a couple minutes.

Hamid
Yedlin-CCV-Miazga-Villafana
Trapp
Weah-Adams-McKennie-Rubin
Wood

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
That was a great, but painful, article.

I mean everytime one of these comes out, Geoff Cameron looks like a ****, but was he wrong? To have him and Ream on the bench while Omar ******* Gonzalez got a start because he played for Arena in LA is insane. Also, Timmy Chandler, always has been, and always will be a ****.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/...ory-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

Excellent article on why I will be cheering for Switzerland this upcoming Summer (my wife works for a Swiss company so we are in Zurich a couple times of year).

Thanks for link. Not a bad reason for a 2nd team! What are Switzerland's expectations? Chance out of group?

My usual back-up is the Netherlands, which leaves me a plain old neutral this World Cup! Looking forward to France for their youth and speed, Iceland for their pragmatic solidness, and Germany for their domination, and remember Uruguay being fun in some past tournaments...so hopefully some variety besides Germany/Argenina/Brazil.

But would not really complain with that either...just get started June 14!

Last edited:

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Earnie Stewart has officially been announced as the new GM of USMNT and uh, here's a bit of controversial quote which is likely going to make some people mad. Especially Eurosnobs and the anti-SUM camp

“I think it's a failure of a cycle. It obviously hurts, but I don't think it has anything to do with systems. I think it has more to do with the period that you're in. Unfortunately, we were on the bad side of that cycle, but now there's a new cycle coming along. There's a new player pool coming along. There's a lot of talent in the United States and it's something that we have to look after and make sure that they reach the highest of their potential. Being able to be there for them, facilitate them in that, is the most important job for us.”

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Earnie Stewart has officially been announced as the new GM of USMNT and uh, here's a bit of controversial quote which is likely going to make some people mad. Especially Eurosnobs and the anti-SUM camp
I actually took his quote as saying that we need to invest in the USA development of players more to stay competitive since we have talent that isn’t being maximized.

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
With our resources in the region we are in our worst cycle ever should still easily qualify for the WC. Earnie is just going to be another company man. They sold their souls for a two bit league more worried about profits for the owners and TV deals than making US soccer in to what it should be.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Yea, I don't think he's wrong. We have a ton of young talent as evidenced by the recent rosters. It's a matter of doing a better job fostering the wealth of talent we have.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
With our resources in the region we are in our worst cycle ever should still easily qualify for the WC. Earnie is just going to be another company man. They sold their souls for a two bit league more worried about profits for the owners and TV deals than making US soccer in to what it should be.
Like every pro sports league in the world? Agree that nothing will be shaken up; which is a shame. There's a long list of things to be shaken.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
This just means that Earnie is the one that gets fired when we do bad now, instead of Sunil, or whoever the yes-man that took over for him was, right?

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
MLS can be a profitable league while the USMNT continues to develop players and become better on the World stage.

The problem is, when you use the USMNT as a bonus (come back to MLS, you will always be called in!) or marketing toy for the MLS, we end up with Bruce Arena playing Michael Bradley alone as a CM on a terrible pitch, when all you need is a tie. They need to be run as two separate entities. We will be better as a country the more guys that play in better leagues. MLS will benefit from having our more established players playing in PL, or Bund, or La Liga, because that will open more spots for young guys in development academies, as well as helping the narrative the American soccer player. Gulati and Arena and the MLS management tried to make them one entity and it failed miserably.

And yes, the Stewart hiring is just another scapegoat to keep the mess off of MLS ownership and USMNT yes men.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://www.theringer.com/2018/6/5/...ory-jurgen-klinsmann-sunil-gulati-bruce-arena

Excellent article on why I will be cheering for Switzerland this upcoming Summer (my wife works for a Swiss company so we are in Zurich a couple times of year).

This crap reminds me of some of of the stories of horrible mismanagement of ISU programs under Van DeVelde. Just seems like if there is any success to be had for US soccer it will be in spite of these fools and not because of them.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Yea, I don't think he's wrong. We have a ton of young talent as evidenced by the recent rosters. It's a matter of doing a better job fostering the wealth of talent we have.

This. so much. I think there's so much more we can do BUT something's working or else we wouldn't have been 1 of 2 nations to have a QF team in both the u17 and u20 World Cups (Like the u17 had Weah and Sargent, the day after the infamous loss they beat Paraguay 5-1 or something in the Round of 16)
Unfortunately the Burn it down camp doesn't care. They still want to burn it down and starting over from scratch. (And I'm feeling a bit of a similarity to the recent presidental election because it's a highly radical suggestion)

In my honest opinion and I think I've said this before. I think we'll have Pro/Rel within 10-15 years with everything basically under the USL branding for D1-D4, including MLS Franchises/Clubs and I could see a situation where MLS clubs might have to suffer a bit or something

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron