***Official USMNT Thread***

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Is anybody watching this series on Fox called Phenoms? New episodes air on Friday nights on Fox, but I've seen replays of previous episodes on FS1 before. It follows young soccer players from around the world and let's you into their ambitions and struggles to climb the ladder in world soccer. I just watched a reair of episode 5 and Kellyn Acosta was one of the 4 midfielders included in the episode. They had some fascinating inside footage of the debacle in Trinidad. Footage of the locker room before the match and at halftime. It just made me sick to my stomach all over again.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
US playing France right now for those that are interested. Lots of defending going on right now. Sarachan went with 3 center backs today.

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Fully expect Steffen to jump to Europe if Columbus moves to Austin (and yes it's highly likely it's happening, it's very complicated because there's rumors and everything, like there was a clause from when Precourt bought the team years ago for example. There's a Ohio court blocking it for now buuuuuut who knows)

Good lord, that was a heck of a performance by the young guns I thought the floodgates would open after the France goal.

Imagine if Wood's goal wasn't offsides tho....holy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Steffen with a couple fantastic saves to keep that match tied up at the end. The kid needs to be our #1 going forward.

That's what I got out of that match-- Steffen needs to be our #1 goalkeeper. Enjoyed seeing a lot of new faces out there, but France was dominating us. They could have easily had 5+ goals.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That's what I got out of that match-- Steffen needs to be our #1 goalkeeper. Enjoyed seeing a lot of new faces out there, but France was dominating us. They could have easily had 5+ goals.
It could have easily been 2 or 3-0, but France took a lot of very low percentage shots. Maybe in a competitive match they settle for fewer 25 yarders, but I'm not sure. Pogba definitely a wanted a longshot.

I'm not concerned about France dominating us. They'll dominate all but the top handful of teams in the world, to varying degrees. Make a list of the top one hundred players in the world, and half of the French squad is in it.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I was impressed by the fullbacks. Neither were caught out of position too often the rare times the US got forward. Shaq Moore is a defensive liability against faster wingers, but he did pretty well despite the yellow card. Steffan was great and looked a leader. The centerbacks played well, and Tyler Adams showed well for the scouts.

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Fully expect Steffen to jump to Europe if Columbus moves to Austin (and yes it's highly likely it's happening, it's very complicated because there's rumors and everything, like there was a clause from when Precourt bought the team years ago for example. There's a Ohio court blocking it for now buuuuuut who knows)

Good lord, that was a heck of a performance by the young guns I thought the floodgates would open after the France goal.

Imagine if Wood's goal wasn't offsides tho....holy

Steffen has already spent a couple of seasons in Germany with Freiburg (I believe they were still down in the 2nd division at the time). He could never break into the top 2 goalkeeper spots there so made the move back to MLS to get regular games. He’s still plenty young, 23, to make the move back to Europe at some point.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
For the US Fed the only thing worse than being a guy that went straight to Europe is a guy that was in MLS and went to Europe and got relegated and decided that the second division of English soccer is a better level than MLS.
There was also the increased exposure and chance at promotion. I won't argue that the Championship is a higher level too. I just don't know what people expect from a 24 year old league in the US.

I know people don't like the closed shop and ownership structure, but the alternative was having no functional league. Of course US Soccer beds with it. MLS is their long-term ticket to growth and stability. In the short term, it's frustrating how married the federation is to MLS, but I think long term it's a good thing.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
For the US Fed the only thing worse than being a guy that went straight to Europe is a guy that was in MLS and went to Europe and got relegated and decided that the second division of English soccer is a better level than MLS.

I get your point and it is a valid one, but I'm not sure Ream felt the second division of English soccer is / was better than MLS. They seem to be pretty comparable in their level of play and more knowledgeable people than me have made that comparison many times. It seems MLS and the Championship are pretty equal.

As for the larger thread, good result vs. France, but it looks like we were dominated throughout the game (as you'd expect given those lineups). It is tough to not have the USMNT to root for this time of year. Should we root for Russia in honor of Trump :p

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Champions league is quiet a bit above MLS.

MLS will be good for the national team if it isn't used as an incentive for older guys to come back, rather than for younger guys to prove what they can do. Which it isn't right now. Its a retirement league, that blocks its youngest players.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Champions league is quiet a bit above MLS.

MLS will be good for the national team if it isn't used as an incentive for older guys to come back, rather than for younger guys to prove what they can do. Which it isn't right now. Its a retirement league, that blocks its youngest players.

"Champions League"? Yes. Most definitely. The "Championship"? Not so much. They are on par with each other. And, IMO its close enough that you can argue for one being slightly better than the other or vice versa.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCY23

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I get your point and it is a valid one, but I'm not sure Ream felt the second division of English soccer is / was better than MLS. They seem to be pretty comparable in their level of play and more knowledgeable people than me have made that comparison many times. It seems MLS and the Championship are pretty equal.

As for the larger thread, good result vs. France, but it looks like we were dominated throughout the game (as you'd expect given those lineups). It is tough to not have the USMNT to root for this time of year. Should we root for Russia in honor of Trump :p

I agree. The problem is the US fed brass doesn’t and they put in their yes man manager in Arena and it comes down from the top to not only don’t play Ream but don’t play Ream AND Cameron and then we miss the WC.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
"Champions League"? Yes. Most definitely. The "Championship"? Not so much. They are on par with each other. And, IMO its close enough that you can argue for one being slightly better than the other or vice versa.

Sorry, I meant Championship, and it is dramatically better of a league than MLS. Then again I take it you don't watch much Championship if you don't think so. MLS would be somewhere between Bund 2 and League 1, this coming from guys I know that have played in both MLS and over seas.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd