Official KU postgame thread

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Tactically, why didn't we go at Lawson more to foul him out? He is their whole team, and he played top of his game last night. But he got his 3rd foul at the 10:30 mark, I believe. Why not get MJ the ball and try to jump into him a few times and try to draw another foul? That would have back-footed KU a ton.

Seemed like a great idea to me anyway.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I love Prohm but last night was on him. No adjustments for action KU used 30 times to give Garrett an automatic lay up. Also, when your team is chucking up 3s and fumbling the ball on drives maybe take a timeout and get their heads right?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Well, irritate away, because I'm saying just that. Sometimes, you hold the minutes down on a kid because he's not showing you what you want. And sometimes, when a kid has proven himself (and Lindell has), you give him a shot that maybe he doesn't deserve based on recent results, just to help give him confidence.
I often agree with your posts. I totally understand your point - very arguable position. But, I tend to disagree.
I think you start Wigg when he proves he deserves it through his play - this year.
Right now he is not a very positive contributor. Who do you bench? Not sure we need to shake things up, we are playing pretty good BB.
Disappointing loss, especially since we played so well for 80% of the game.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Not to ruin the narrative, but he only took 8 shots in 25 minutes. 8. He spent most of his time trying to create for others. Defense wasn't great. Hustle was fine. I hope that Coach Prohm starts him just to shake up the routine and give him some confidence.

In 5 of last 6 games, he has shot less % than last year's average. Also, his turnover numbers almost match his assists. That's not earning a starting spot like he wants the TEAM to do.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I love Prohm but last night was on him. No adjustments for action KU used 30 times to give Garrett an automatic lay up. Also, when your team is chucking up 3s and fumbling the ball on drives maybe take a timeout and get their heads right?
We come out of a timeout, with 10 sec on the shot clock. KU pushes us out to the half court. We chuck up an air ball (which we seemed to have done a lot of). They rebound, dribble in for an uncontested layup, and proceed to score 10 + points in a row.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
8 shots is a lot when you only make 1. Defense is important when you aren’t make shots.

I like Lindell. I think he’s a good player. I’m not nearly as irritated with Lindell as I am with the fans that are STILL saying he should be playing more and starting.
lets add this to the list of your dumb comments

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I haven't gone back to watch, but I think many of those drives were more great play calls and sets by Self, than a lack of a rim protector.

I think if Prohm puts Conditt in, Self quits the dribble drive, and immediately goes to the high low, with Lawson against Conditt.
Hello. That's what good coaches do.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
Great post my friend...Yes the look on the jhawk fans faces looked like a whole lot of them were gonna pee their pants when we tied'em at 69-69......This KU team isnt all that great and we will beat em KC in the tourney....

....and remember GO Cyclones

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
We come out of a timeout, with 10 sec on the shot clock. KU pushes us out to the half court. We chuck up an air ball (which we seemed to have done a lot of). They rebound, dribble in for an uncontested layup, and proceed to score 10 + points in a row.

Yeah, I'm sure that's what CSP called in the huddle. SMH

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
For the most part I thought we played a very good game last night. I have been wanting Prohm to change up his defenses once in a while for a long time so I was very happy when we came out of the time out in a zone. You just know Self had a set up a play assuming we would be playing man. It is little things like that when you can steal a possession or two that help you win the close games.
It probably wouldn't have worked but with Talley's length I wonder how he would have done guarding Lawson. We might have gotten killed on the boards but a slightly quicker player with the same length as Jacobsen might have been a nice change of pace as well.

LW is certainly struggling. Maybe he is pressing too much or thinks he needs to establish himself as our go to guy like last year. Prohm tried to get him going last night, I think we ran 3 straight plays for him when he came in but unfortunately they all ended up with LW missing pretty open 3's.

I do think we match up better with KU than lots of other teams in the Big 12 as both teams are more finesse and not as physical. If Ole MS. is physical on Saturday I am afraid it will be a long game and we will be owned on the boards like usual. Our team is mostly fun to watch just wish we wouldn't have added to Self's record of winning close games last night and Prohm's record of losing them. I guess that is why Self is a Hall of Fame Coach.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I often agree with your posts. I totally understand your point - very arguable position. But, I tend to disagree.
I think you start Wigg when he proves he deserves it through his play - this year.
Right now he is not a very positive contributor. Who do you bench? Not sure we need to shake things up, we are playing pretty good BB.
Disappointing loss, especially since we played so well for 80% of the game.

Agree to disagree. Lindell has already proven he can play at a high level. The only reason he's not starting now is due to an injury. I think he needs a boost of confidence, and I think you do it now because we're going to need him down the road.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
For the most part I thought we played a very good game last night. I have been wanting Prohm to change up his defenses once in a while for a long time so I was very happy when we came out of the time out in a zone. You just know Self had a set up a play assuming we would be playing man. It is little things like that when you can steal a possession or two that help you win the close games.
It probably wouldn't have worked but with Talley's length I wonder how he would have done guarding Lawson. We might have gotten killed on the boards but a slightly quicker player with the same length as Jacobsen might have been a nice change of pace as well.

LW is certainly struggling. Maybe he is pressing too much or thinks he needs to establish himself as our go to guy like last year. Prohm tried to get him going last night, I think we ran 3 straight plays for him when he came in but unfortunately they all ended up with LW missing pretty open 3's.

I do think we match up better with KU than lots of other teams in the Big 12 as both teams are more finesse and not as physical. If Ole MS. is physical on Saturday I am afraid it will be a long game and we will be owned on the boards like usual. Our team is mostly fun to watch just wish we wouldn't have added to Self's record of winning close games last night and Prohm's record of losing them. I guess that is why Self is a Hall of Fame Coach.

I thought about that too, but I think Lawson would post Talley up and walk him right under the basket. We just don't have a post defender that can defend a guy of his size and skill set well.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
People forget Wiggy had been playing alot better lately. He had a bad game. He kept shooting and trying to make plays because that's what he is in there to do. If he's going to be passive and not take open shots there's no reason for him to be out there. So if Prohm leaves him out there, he should be aggressive.

I am a little befuddled by our lack of substituting. You can't tell me that Talley, Lewis and Conditt can't each give 4-5 minutes a game. I've said it all year, but our late game issues are due in large part to fatigue. Babb, Haliburton and Shayok don't get breaks. Jacobson is so high energy he needs breaks. And you'll notice towards the end of the game alot of shots missed short. Find a time in the mid-to-late first half and about 10 minutes into the second half to get them a breather. Talley, Lewis and Conditt may not be your first option, but they are all capable.

Ben4Cy

Aug 28, 2016
Walters said on the breadcast that Conditt was sick, and could probably not play.

Saw a tweet from GC's dad that said he wasn't sick. It was Griffin that was sick. Maybe JW mixed them up.

I would have liked to have seen him get a run. A lot of people on here assume he would get eaten alive by Lawson but who wouldn't have last night. A ;why not' situation.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
People forget Wiggy had been playing alot better lately. He had a bad game. He kept shooting and trying to make plays because that's what he is in there to do. If he's going to be passive and not take open shots there's no reason for him to be out there. So if Prohm leaves him out there, he should be aggressive.

I am a little befuddled by our lack of substituting. You can't tell me that Talley, Lewis and Conditt can't each give 4-5 minutes a game. I've said it all year, but our late game issues are due in large part to fatigue. Babb, Haliburton and Shayok don't get breaks. Jacobson is so high energy he needs breaks. And you'll notice towards the end of the game alot of shots missed short. Find a time in the mid-to-late first half and about 10 minutes into the second half to get them a breather. Talley, Lewis and Conditt may not be your first option, but they are all capable.

The only thing I've noticed is that the better we're doing (while the outcome is in doubt), the less likely he is to sub. I do think he needs to make it a point to sub out Babb more, as 39 minutes of wear and tear a game isn't good for him, and we'll need him down the stretch (this is where I think starting Wigginton and bringing Tyrese off the bench at the first time out would help).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, I'm sure that's what CSP called in the huddle. SMH

Execution matters, yes. But this team seems to come out of time outs and fall on their faces A LOT. You would expect something good to happen more often than not, and worst case something neutral. But this is the reverse, they often come out and something negative happens.

IDK what the problem is: dumb plays, too complex plays, not enough practice, not enough confidence, et al. But it has been and continues to be a problem, and it needs fixing. That's on CSP to get it fixed, even if the cause of the problems is player execution and not coaching.

• Agree
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I read through 90 comments and didn't see any mention of this: When KU made their run I think ISU came to the 3 pt line 4-6 times? and threw up a shot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, nobody under the basket, and no attempt at running an offense. I don't do replay, and I could be wrong, but this sequence had more to do with losing, than any one player?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and Rick

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I thought they played well. Just a couple plays here or there and they would have pulled it out. It was just a great college basketball game against evenly matched teams and I think two teams that are still getting better.
Shayok gets 20 or more so easily and quietly you don't even realize sometimes he has that many points. Sometimes I feel like they could go to him even more.
What is nice about the Monday game is they have a ton of time to work on stuff and get ready for Saturday. So I think they pull off the road win against Ole Miss.
They should win the next two conference games and be 6-3 which is right where I thought they would be.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Execution matters, yes. But this team seems to come out of time outs and fall on their faces A LOT. You would expect something good to happen more often than not, and worst case something neutral. But this is the reverse, they often come out and something negative happens.

IDK what the problem is: dumb plays, too complex plays, not enough practice, not enough confidence, et al. But it has been and continues to be a problem, and it needs fixing. That's on CSP to get it fixed, even if the cause of the problems is player execution and not coaching.

Yeah, I watch other teams, even teams that lose more often than we do, to lesser competition, and they play flawlessly 40 minutes a game. It's crazy we can't do that too.

• Funny
Reactions: flycy and Cyclad