Official KU postgame thread

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Aggrieved party? Good Lord, have a good day.

You were the one that said no adjustments were made. It was false.

You used confirmation bias to quote coach speak as gospel, and was incorrect.

Then when called on it, you gave a dissertation on why you were right.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I really like CSP but to me it was very obvious that Self made better halftime adjustments than Prohm and when their crowd got into the game that was it.

Bill Self is a hall of fame coach. Prohm is not in that league.

There may be a time he will be, but that’s a long time from now.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Bill Self is a hall of fame coach. Prohm is not in that league.

There may be a time he will be, but that’s a long time from now.

We don't need to argue Self vs Prohm resumes obviously Self has had a HOF career and championship.
That said we shouldn't just use the Monday game to judge each coaches ability either. When ISU and KU meet in the the first game ISU was up by 4 and won by 17.
Prohm made his adjustments that worked in Hilton and I wouldn't have used it as evidence he's a better coach than Self the Sunday after.
Prohm had a plan in the second that worked at first the lead was extended past 5 after the first half. Then made an adjustment to tie the game in the last 2 minutes. There was a 6 minute stretch were the player got rushed and didn't execute, that could be on prohm or on them but it is hard to draw a conclusion on coach IQ from that.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
AFH holds about 2k more than JHHC but the seating area feels about 75% smaller. The 16.3k are closer and more on top of the court. Iv'e been there 2x (my record is 1-1) and at its peak it is consistently louder than Hilton unless it's 1992 and Oklahoma State is trying to shoot free throws. Now the KU crowd was coming off an awful sports weekend with KU and the Chiefs losing so they had some pent up frustration for sure. They were into the game and cheered loud, and booed louder at the refs (I swear the 2 guys behind my in section 16 booed louder than they cheered) but the place exploded on the oop dunk.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
AFH holds about 2k more than JHHC but the seating area feels about 75% smaller. The 16.3k are closer and more on top of the court. Iv'e been there 2x (my record is 1-1) and at its peak it is consistently louder than Hilton unless it's 1992 and Oklahoma State is trying to shoot free throws. Now the KU crowd was coming off an awful sports weekend with KU and the Chiefs losing so they had some pent up frustration for sure. They were into the game and cheered loud, and booed louder at the refs (I swear the 2 guys behind my in section 16 booed louder than they cheered) but the place exploded on the oop dunk.

Indeed, they are world-class at booing. However, I admit that most of the worst booing came on calls that were pretty bad. There were a few times the ball went out-of-bounds on us, but they gave us the ball. And there were plenty of times where they didn't call fouls on contact, but those went both ways, probably with more impact on us, such as the aggravation caused by the refs not calling the defensive hand-checks on our ball-handlers.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
From someone who hasn't played basketball since the 6th grade and hasn't read a post in this thread. They drove the basket, they have players who can do that. Ours not so much. How do you learn to defend it if you dont get to see it in practice?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
You can tell how much ahead they are to us on keeping their crowd engaged through timeouts. We need to take a page or 2 out of their book. Also, the student section is definitely much crazier at Phog Allen.

My first time at AF - I admit it was cool to be there live after seeing 100 games on TV.

AF today is a lot like Hilton in the 80s - its pretty much just the pep band and a basic scoreboard and that's it. The fieldhouse/bleecher architecture is old school but so effective. I was almost at the top and its the equivalent of like the 3 or 4th row in the Hilton balcony. (The Palestra at Penn is similar but holds 9k instead of 16k).

Stansbury tweeted this but it was hilarious watching the bill self "compliance" public service announcement. I mean, cmon, what a joke.

One nice "trick" they do is that with about 15-30 seconds before play is to begin, they do a "noise" on the scoreboard, or pump in some sounds, or do the decibel meter on the scoreboard, or whatever, so right as play begins the crowd is into it and very loud.

At the risk of being "that guy" yes in the old days at Hilton, when a team called timeout, the crowd was still loud when play resumed. Today, the timeouts work, as the crowd is definitely subdued.

Oh, and KU was advertising that tickets are available for the OSU and Baylor games - so even one of the most tradition rich programs with an awesome homecourt....is not selling everything out.

I also got a kick out of everyone going nuts when there was a Les Miles deal on the scoreboard - the ku fan next to me smiled after cheering and said "really, that's all we've got right now for football."

Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I wasn't familiar with any of the refs on Monday. They seemed to let the guys play, especially with hand-checks on the ball-handlers. Thoughts, Blum?

Gary Maxwell, Michael Stephens, Tony Padilla

Now that I look into it, we had Gary Maxwell for the Drake and Baylor games.
I0000UJmgWNoJvjo.jpg

During a timeout, Michael Stephens looked like he was trying to put Prohm in his place while Prohm was complaining. Very stern. What happened next? He calls a ticky-tack touch foul on us.
upload_2019-1-23_16-51-46.png

Tony Padilla seemed like he got bonus pay for fouls he didn't call.
upload_2019-1-23_16-53-7.png

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron