*** Official Iowa State Season Thread ***

Tlyon

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2017
Get healthy Rulzzz!

I know I probably am in the minority here, but I have missed the privilege of watching ISU play the last two weeks. Yeah, I realize they are likely to lose almost every game this year, but I am still an ISU homer through and through. So, I just enjoy watching, hoping and often being disappointed. Glad that is an option again!

I am in the same boat. Even though we haven’t won much this year I have enjoyed watching the team play probably more than I should. Just having the guys play brings a sense of normalcy back

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
The "reduced fans in Hilton" thing really kills my optimism and enjoyment of the team this year. Typically I would go to these games and have some hint of hope that the crowd could will the guys to an upset here and there, but with no energy in the building, the chances of that seems minimal.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
One would think that unless everyone made a quicker than expected recovery.
I think the protocols prevent the “quick recovery” option. We should know more as stuff starts to leak this afternoon.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The "reduced fans in Hilton" thing really kills my optimism and enjoyment of the team this year. Typically I would go to these games and have some hint of hope that the crowd could will the guys to an upset here and there, but with no energy in the building, the chances of that seems minimal.

Strangely, that always required talent and coaching to work. Those wins only happened with good teams here.

• Dislike
Reactions: wonkadog

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Strangely, that always required talent and coaching to work. Those wins only happened with good teams here.

Uh, no. The term "Hilton Magic" came from us upsetting top teams even when our team that year was average at best. I don't have time to go back and dig up home wins against teams we shouldn't have beat but I know you're smarter than that and know we have. I'm pretty much done with Prohm but also at the same time know home court advantage in college basketball is HUGE at places with great fans like ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Uh, no. The term "Hilton Magic" came from us upsetting top teams even when our team that year was average at best. I don't have time to go back and dig up home wins against teams we shouldn't have beat but I know you're smarter than that and know we have. I'm pretty much done with Prohm but also at the same time know home court advantage in college basketball is HUGE at places with great fans like ISU.

It's a PR thing, bro.
Just look at Prohm's home record if you want to keep talking about our home court advantage.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
It's a PR thing, bro.
Just look at Prohm's home record if you want to keep talking about our home court advantage.

What are you talking about? Again, you've been around long enough to know that ISU playing at home with our fans who fill the place to around 80% no matter what the record (sellouts against top teams on Saturdays), accounts for plenty. I'm simply saying I miss heading to Hilton and having a glimmer of hope for that upset happening due to the crowd changing the momentum. This year that can't happen. Not defending Prohm at all.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
What are you talking about? Again, you've been around long enough to know that ISU playing at home with our fans who fill the place to around 80% no matter what the record (sellouts against top teams on Saturdays), accounts for plenty. I'm simply saying I miss heading to Hilton and having a glimmer of hope for that upset happening due to the crowd changing the momentum. This year that can't happen. Not defending Prohm at all.

And it accounts for plenty on our good teams. People have tracked this enough to see this.
The coaches who showed no "Hilton Magic" should make it clear that it's not the fans. That's just PR. from the best teams. It's fun, but the fans didn't bring those wins home. Good times in the program did.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
And it accounts for plenty on our good teams. People have tracked this enough to see this.
The coaches who showed no "Hilton Magic" should make it clear that it's not the fans. That's just PR. from the best teams. It's fun, but the fans didn't bring those wins home. Good times in the program did.

You made me go back and do it. Home wins we shouldn't have had:

2020 - Texas (last year with a crappy Prohm team and by 30 pts)
2019 - #5 KU by 20
2018 - #8 Tech by 20

I don't have time to keep going, plus it's hard to find rankings at the time teams came to Hilton. Maybe you're right that some of the home court advantage has regressed but I'm not going to shrug it off as not being impactful on NCAA games. I'm not just talking ISU, it sucks not having fans at all arenas.

Reactions: t-noah

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You made me go back and do it. Home wins we shouldn't have had:

2020 - Texas (last year with a crappy Prohm team and by 30 pts)
2019 - #5 KU by 20
2018 - #8 Tech by 20

I don't have time to keep going, plus it's hard to find rankings at the time teams came to Hilton. Maybe you're right that some of the home court advantage has regressed but I'm not going to shrug it off as not being impactful on NCAA games. I'm not just talking ISU, it sucks not having fans at all arenas.

The 88-89 season had some example:

KU-127 ISU-82 in Lawrence
ISU-97 KU-89 in Ames

OU-126 ISU-97 in Norman
OU-109 ISU-100OT in Ames

KSU-104 ISU-89 in Manhatten
ISU-101 KSU-89 in Ames

The "magic" couldn't quite get them over the hump against OU. They were very good. That year ISU was not considered a good team by any measure. They however were a very tough out at home hence the "magic".

The 86-87 team didn't have a good season at all....won just 5 conference games. Of those 5 however 3 were against:

#10 Mizzou
#12 Oklahoma
#15 Kansas

....all at Hilton. Back then Hilton was an "event'! Very few games on television, so a ticket there was almost as valuable as a ticket to Lambeau field and the place would just rock! We had some not very good teams look like world killers at Hilton. You don't give up 127....lose by 45 at KU and then win by 8 at Hilton without a little help. That's a 53 point swing.

I will say this though being a different generation...............when we went to the games there were no phones in our hands that had our every attention. When we were there, a nuke could have gone off on the west side of Ames and no one would give a rats behind. We were there for the game whether the team sucked or not. Good times!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: t-noah and qwerty