MLB: ***Official Cubs Offseason Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Rotation is now top 5 in the MLB.

If Heyward and Zo's bats go to even slightly less than what they were expected to be when those two were signed, we're going to be successful in the playoffs.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Rotation is now top 5 in the MLB.

If Heyward and Zo's bats go to even slightly less than what they were expected to be when those two were signed, we're going to be successful in the playoffs.

Heyward is never going to be close to what was expected from him when he signed. He's broken and not fixable. Zobrist probably will continue his decline but he's already been worth his contract and should continue to see his role reduced.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This means Hendricks and Quintana are your #3 and #4 pitchers one way or another. That's nuts, they could both be #1's on other teams.

Make a deal at the trade deadline for a lock down rent-a-closer and the Cubs are gonna be the favorite for a World Title again this year.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
He's going to take a pay cut because of the Cubs no matter where he ends up. Teams are being scared off by the Cubs lack of interest in bringing him back.

Wasn't it leaked that JA was offered 4 years at $110 million?

If that's true then it shouldn't kill Jake's chances of getting paid

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines

I hadn't heard that, but if he turned that down then I'm even happier about the Darvish deal. On one hand I respect Boras' ability to get his guys the most money possible, but as a fan it's beyond annoying how he advises guys (like Hosmer and JD) to not accept offers that are clearly the best they're going to get.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I hadn't heard that, but if he turned that down then I'm even happier about the Darvish deal. On one hand I respect Boras' ability to get his guys the most money possible, but as a fan it's beyond annoying how he advises guys (like Hosmer and JD) to not accept offers that are clearly the best they're going to get.

Here's that article.

6 years for Yu isn't best case, but they're printing money at Wrigley now. So why not

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-jake-arrieta-offer-haugh-20180103-story.html

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

And it was clear that Arrieta wanted 6-7 years and they have not had any serious discussions all winter while the Cubs agreeid to come up to 6 years on Darvish who is also 30+ with injury issues in the past and also seriously looking into Alex Cobb who has his own injury issues.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
This means Hendricks and Quintana are your #3 and #4 pitchers one way or another. That's nuts, they could both be #1's on other teams.

Make a deal at the trade deadline for a lock down rent-a-closer and the Cubs are gonna be the favorite for a World Title again this year.

No Quintana would not be an ace anywhere decent

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
And it was clear that Arrieta wanted 6-7 years and they have not had any serious discussions all winter while the Cubs agreeid to come up to 6 years on Darvish who is also 30+ with injury issues in the past and also seriously looking into Alex Cobb who has his own injury issues.

But $27.5 million a season isn't exactly walking away. Jake will get paid. Hoping the Cubs made the right decision.

My guess is they signed the right guy. Overpaid? Probably but the Cubs are a "have" and not a "have not" franchise

cyLKUIF

Jun 3, 2016
The narrative out there the cubs overpaid is stupid to me. I didn't want 6 years but $21 mill per yr is a lot better than most expected. If 4yrs /$110 mill wasn't enough for Arrieta then this is the right deal. It's not like Cobb had a reasonable asking price either and he isn't on Darvish's level. Hell, Darvish only costs $5 million more per yr than Lackey. The cubs have a ton of money, are still under the luxury tax, and will spend BIG in 2019 regardless. This isn't close to the Heyward contract imo.

Arrieta isn't worth $30 million a year anymore. With that said I still hope he ends up outside the NL Central so we don't have to face him regularly. Philly or Minnesota would be ideal. I'll always love that dude.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron