Oct 26, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
How did I take an L? Everything I said is a FACT
  • Lester is on the wrong side of 30
  • His velocity was down last year
  • Highest personal BB/9 in 8 years
  • highest personal ERA in 7 years
We can revisit this again mid-season when his era i 4+.​

Took an L on the Lester comment so you're approaching things from a different angle. I appreciate the effort.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

This is a Cubs fans thread made for Cubs fans to talk about offseason moves. Please take your trolling elsewhere

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
  • Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
And the cubs have won 1 pennant in the last 73 years. Chris Taylor and Cody Bellinger are 2 dynamic players the Dodgers didn't have in the 2016 NLCS. They set the Dodgers over the edge in the 2017 NLCS. Not to mention the Cubs making Kike Hernandez look like Babe Ruth. Lol.

The Cubs were banged up and gassed in last year's NLCS, where they were actually winning their first two games and later blew. Don't act like the Cubs will be the same or worse while the Dodgers will be better. It'll be a long season, however the Cubs can be easily improved from their last NLCS.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Fine, I'll go.

By the end of the year, I would anticipate Jon is the Cubs 4th starter behind Q, Darvish and Hendricks. So basically he is our Maeda/Ryu. If you'd rather trot Maeda or Ryu out there for a meaningful game, go for it. Personally, I'll take Lester over about any other 3-4 starter in the league.

cyclones360

Oct 26, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Fine, I'll go.

By the end of the year, I would anticipate Jon is the Cubs 4th starter behind Q, Darvish and Hendricks. So basically he is our Maeda/Ryu. If you'd rather trot Maeda or Ryu out there for a meaningful game, go for it. Personally, I'll take Lester over about any other 3-4 starter in the league.

Maeda and Ryu are not making ace money. In what world is your 4 starter supposed to be making $20mil/yr like Lester is? My point is Lester is being paid like an ace or high 2 starter. If he's not performing like one, there is a very good possibility (as I stated and last year showed) that's he's washed or at the very least declining fast. For the record, if you want to run pitch-tipping Yu Darvish out there for a meaningful game, go for it.

• Funny

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Maeda and Ryu are not making ace money. In what world is your 4 starter supposed to be making $20mil/yr like Lester is? My point is Lester is being paid like an ace or high 2 starter. If he's not performing like one, there is a very good possibility (as I stated and last year showed) that's he's washed or at the very least declining fast. For the record, if you want to run pitch-tipping Yu Darvish out there for a meaningful game, go for it.

Someone is threatened...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

You act like this is the first year of his contract. Should we just forget about the whole 2016 19-5 with a 2.44 ERA; 3-1 with a 2.02 ERA in the postseason thing?

Sometimes you have to give big time players a longer contract to reel them in, knowing you wont have the same guy in the back end of the contract. He's been a great 1-2 so far, and now he will transition to one of the best 3-4 guys in the game.

• Agree

cyclones360

Oct 26, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
You act like this is the first year of his contract. Should we just forget about the whole 2016 19-5 with a 2.44 ERA; 3-1 with a 2.02 ERA in the postseason thing?

Sometimes you have to give big time players a longer contract to reel them in, knowing you wont have the same guy in the back end of the contract. He's been a great 1-2 so far, and now he will transition to one of the best 3-4 guys in the game.

Okay, thanks for proving my point. He's on the sharp decline as some would call "washed".

cyclones360

Oct 26, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Or rather he's on the exact trajectory someone his age should be on and is exactly what the Cubs expected him to be at this point.
Don't kid yourself. I'm sure the Cubs completely expected him to go from a 2.44 ERA pitcher to a 4.33 ERA pitcher in 1 season.

This "exact trajectory" is known as a sharp decline.

How many starting pitchers in the last decade (Hell go back 2 decades if you want) who threw at least 180 innings in each season owned sub 2.50 ERA one year that rose to an ERA above 4.30 the next year? I bet you can't name a single one, except Jon Lester.

I know it's tough for Cubs fans to admit, but Lester is declining faster than he should be.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Don't kid yourself. I'm sure the Cubs completely expected him to go from a 2.44 ERA pitcher to a 4.33 ERA pitcher in 1 season.

How many starting pitchers in the last decade (Hell go back 2 decades if you want) who threw at least 180 innings in each season owned sub 2.50 ERA one year that rose to an ERA above 4.30 the next year? I bet you can't name a single one, except Jon Lester.

I know it's tough for Cubs fans to admit, but Lester is declining faster than he should be.

One bad year is not a trend turbo. Maybe it's the start of a decline or maybe it's a bad year. We'll see.

• Agree

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

Roger Clemens did it once and also had back to back seasons of 2.65 and 4.61 as well.

Glavine had a 2.47 ERA in 1998 and a 4.12 ERA in 1999 while logging 200+ innings in each season. He had a 2.96 ERA in 2002 and 4.52 ERA in 2003 while also throwing 180+ innings each year.

Andy Pettitte went from 2.88 to 4.24 in 1997 and 1998.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

giphy.gif

• Dislike
Reactions: cyclones360

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think the Cubs are the threatened ones. Signed Darvish and Morrow... If you can't beat 'em sign 'em.

I agree. We probably should of just packed it in after last season and started to rebuild. I cant fathom why the front office wanted to make this team better.