***Official Baylor postgame thread***

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
In 19 minutes. CL had 4 in 21. Not an overwhelming difference. Cam also fouled out, so not possible to give him more minutes. IMHO, GC would have been pushed all over the court.

Not to take away from Lard, who I thought played a pretty nice game tonight, but we were having early success with Jacobson until his stupid second foul. Just way overcommitted on a hedge, lack of focus. We had forced Baylor to start making defensive adjustments. Would have been nice to have him more available in the first half. But with CSP refusing to go big (I get that we are built this season as a 4-1), it may not have mattered.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Prohm now 8-8 the last 2 years in Hilton in Big 12. So much for being one of the best home courts in basketball.

Come on man. You can’t just cherry pick the last two years. This is a solid team that will play well this weekend. They have a mental block at home right now. It will get solved at some point. Too much talent for it not to.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
8 big 12 teams going to the big dance is laughable. Big 12 deserves 6 at most.

I tend to agree. It'd be "briefly historic" to get 80% of the league's teams into the Dance, but it's probably better for the conference to have the 5 or 6 upper-crust. Slightly better seed distribution and perhaps better overall W-L in the tournament.

Such as, 3-4-5-5-7-9 vs. 3-5-6-8-9-10-11-First Four.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Diante Garret would start for this year's team. Melvin Ejim was a budding freshman that year as well. We also had a decent stretch 5. The problem with that team was depth. We literally had half the team sitting out due to transfer.

Fred benefitted from being on the front edge of the transfer market. (Credit to him for the strategy.) That strategy wasn't as successful after the team got better (less immediate playing time available) and the blue bloods started getting serious about transfers.
Jamie Vanderbeken? LOL.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
Do you watch any other games. How about that Big X xrap fest that caused me to miss the first 4 minutes. A real thrilling 46-44 escape by Purdue. The Big XII has really good coaches.

B12, top-to-bottom, has the best coaches in the country. Bob Huggins, Lon Kruger, and Jamie Dixon are leading teams in the bottom half of the league this year. But it is also possible to have good coaches without having a bunch of great teams.

• Agree
Reactions: HoustonClone

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Do you think Fred not recruiting his last two years had any impact on the rosters that prohm coached his first two years?
Not any more than the mcdoormat recruiting ****** over fred when he took over. Prohm at least had good players to get other good recruits interested in the program.

• Friendly
Reactions: Dustin Hall

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Lets see who they inherited

This is who Fred could play his first year
Jordan Railey
Bubu Palo
Melvin Ejim
Jake Anderson
Diante Garret
Scott Christopherson
Eric McKnight
Calvin Godfrey
Jamie Vanderbeken
Demarcus Phillips
Drew Mitchell

This is who Steve could play his first year
Jameel McKay
Abdel Nader
Hallice Cooke
Monte morris
Naz Long
Matt Thomas
Deonte Burton
Georges Niang
Jordan Ashton
Stuart Nezlek (stud)

Excluding the first season Fred went 46-26 in the Big 12
Yeah, not equitable situations.

But, damn, looking at that list, we could use some guys like Anderson, Scotty, Ejim, and Godfrey. Hell, Bubu would easily be our best defender.

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
OK, not fair. Given the recruiting hole he inherited and the situations with injuries last year, that totally distorts the record. But still, he is only 30-19 in the other three seasons. That's only a 61% winning percentage. Good enough for the tourney, yes. We could lose out and still go this year given how terrible the bubble is - in fact, I'd go as far as saying if we lose out, we won't even be in the First Four. 8-10 in the B12 this year with wins against KU, @KSU, @TT, @OleMiss would lock in no worse than a 10 seed. It may even still be possible to tie for the league title at 13-5...if we somehow win out. But I don't think it's unreasonable for Cyclone fans to expect being in the top 2 of the league on a consistent basis. We are now looking at 4 teams in front of us in a season where the opportunity was right there for us to take the title.
So you think Fred inherited a better situation than Prohm?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah, no way OU should be dancing. At this rate, one of TCU or Texas should be out. The Longhorns have some pretty good victories but their overall record could be pretty ugly by the end of the season. With the First Four and a terrible bubble, possible they might be like the Indiana team Mike Davis had that made the tourney with a record just over .500 overall.
There are lots of mediocre teams, after the top 3 in the Big 10, it falls off a lot, ACC has probably the most depth. SEC, 3 good teams.

Big 12 should have 6 at most

Thing is you need to fill the field somehow.
There is lots meh in college basketball this year. Pac 12 is horrible.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
So you think Fred inherited a better situation than Prohm?

Obviously not. I wasn't comparing CSP's record to CFH in my original post - just saying I didn't think it was fair to judge CSP with last year distorting things. There was a recruiting hole that we needed to recover from. What Hoiberg started with was very, very rough. Having been at pretty much every game in the McDoormat era, I remember very clearly Fred's first season - good old $99 season tickets in the balcony corner. What CFH did for Cyclone basketball was phenomenal. That doesn't mean that there weren't recruiting issues at the end that eventually hit - a year late after Naz's redshirt and Monte staying in school.

• Agree
Reactions: fsanford

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
In 19 minutes. CL had 4 in 21. Not an overwhelming difference. Cam also fouled out, so not possible to give him more minutes. IMHO, GC would have been pushed all over the court.
I get people wanting the adjustment to be to go big, but I'm not sure why, so we have taller guys stand and watch Baylor get rebounds. Lard played really hard tonight, but he was also plenty guilty of spectating while Baylor worked the offensive glass.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Big Prohm fan. But gotta give some run to Lewis or Conditt. Talley should not see the floor.

Tally can play defense and rebound...he’s truly the only atheltic bigger wing we have that can rebound and defend any position..He should have played a hell of a lot more.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You are an ******* who just likes to belittle other posters but can’t admit when you looked like an arrogant ass. Just yesterday you said Fred choked away the Big 12 title against Baylor in 2015-16. Tonight you told another poster that Steve couldn’t have made any adjustments to win the game. What am I missing? You complain about me and a double standard who the Hell are you to post **** like that and then act like it never happened.

Well, of course you would not understand anything that doesn’t fit your agenda.

But I’ll go slow. One the person in question was talking about Baylor never winning in Ames til now, and that was incorrect.

The question for world was what adjustments were there to make when we got out efforted.

You know why I don’t respect your opinion? It’s twofold. One, you ranted all year two years ago and then disappeared when we won 11-13. Two, I don’t enjoy Iowa State losing so I can go after the coach.

• Funny
Reactions: rochclone

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
There are lots of mediocre teams, after the top 3 in the Big 10, it falls off a lot, ACC has probably the most depth. SEC, 3 good teams.

Big 12 should have 6 at most

Thing is you need to fill the field somehow.
There is lots meh in college basketball this year. Pac 12 is horrible.

I expect the committee will continue to reward power conference schools. We will likely see at least one team that is 4 (or more) games under .500 in their league in the tournament this year. I'd love for them to reward some more of the mid-majors when the bubble is this bad. Quite a few of them are high in the NET tool so they have a metric they could use to justify, but they also didn't use NET much in doing their "initial top 16" reveal a couple weeks ago.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
2015- Underacheived
2016- Acheived
2017- Dumpster fire
2018- Underacheived

Not a good look for CSP.

Dude, I know you're passionate, and we've gone at it before on here, but as much as I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt, you just shoot yourself in the foot with posts like this.

Fred was our coach in 2015 and ended his career at Iowa State with a first round loss to UAB. Steve Prohm was NOT OUR COACH THAT SEASON.

C'mon man...

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
The first thing I thought about when I read this post, was that 2 of our players were wearing pink shoes. Random, I know.

Had to laugh at that one. But while it wasn't the color of shoes, this game begged for some alpha leadership. It wasn't there.

Help Support Us

Become a patron