***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't have a problem with them taking a change on Leech given how high of a reward that could have been. The problem is they also missed on Anderson and Grill. Missing on 75% of a class is brutal.

Anderson was a "we need a body" if Solo doesn't come back fully healthy. He was a plan b or c after missing on the legacy from Minnesota.

Grill left but I can't say for sure he was a miss. He got hurt and mom got active on Twitter. Really sounded to me like she needed someone to blame.

Leech was a lottery ticket. Huge if it came in just not likely.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don't have a problem with them taking a change on Leech given how high of a reward that could have been. The problem is they also missed on Anderson and Grill. Missing on 75% of a class is brutal.

Different world right now if Jackson or Grill projected as an starter next year. Or if, you know, Lewis/Griffin were 4* recruits and now developed upperclassmen.

Grill has some remaining upside, unlike Lewis and Griffin, but it is not like he lit it up last year. His PRPG! was sub-replacement level. I would have rather had him than not considering we still have two open, but he is not one I am crying too hard about losing.

From what I saw, if he ever turned into a decent starter for a high-major school (or even UNLV in the MWC), then he had a pretty strong development arc.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Since the start of last season, we lost Nixon, Jacobsen, Haliburton, Leech, Andersen, Lewis, Grill, Griffin.

We gained Johnson (technically sat out), JCL, Harris, Foster, Dubar, Blackwell, and Walker. Sight unseen, it would be hard to tell if it’s a talent upgrade or not.

Still holding out hope that a magical grad transfer (or two) comes available. We have to be the only major school with two open scholarships at this point.

tclone45

Oct 22, 2018
Since the start of last season, we lost Nixon, Jacobsen, Haliburton, Leech, Andersen, Lewis, Grill, Griffin.

We gained Johnson (technically sat out), JCL, Harris, Foster, Dubar, Blackwell, and Walker. Sight unseen, it would be hard to tell if it’s a talent upgrade or not.

Still holding out hope that a magical grad transfer (or two) comes available. We have to be the only major school with two open scholarships at this point.
It is for sure a talent upgrade imo

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Anderson was a "we need a body" if Solo doesn't come back fully healthy. He was a plan b or c after missing on the legacy from Minnesota.

Grill left but I can't say for sure he was a miss. He got hurt and mom got active on Twitter. Really sounded to me like she needed someone to blame.

Leech was a lottery ticket. Huge if it came in just not likely.
Ben Carlson is Class of 2020, Anderson was 2019. No relationship between the two.

And Mom Grill's Twitter activity had absolutely nothing to do with Caleb's transfer nor placed blame on ISU or the staff. Complete nonsense that you bring that up.

I would agree with you on Leech if the rest of the 2019 class produced at least one starter. Jackson will likely never start for a NCAA tourney quality team and Leech was an avoidable reach.

The poor 2019 HS class is a primary reason for the roster predicament that Prohm is now in and this Spring's transfer class so far has not satisfactorily addressed those gaps, especially at PG.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Lol it’s for sure a talent upgrade, especially if you are only factoring in the guys who were in last years rotation, vs this years rotation. Not only is it a talent upgrade(especially when talking about the team after Halliburton’s injury), but it’s just better fits for what Prohm wants to do and has had success with.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Little soon to say that about Tre don't you think?
Based on what he displayed last season and his physical upside, it isn't unreasonably early.

He displayed very little in the way of any B12 quality PG skills. He displayed no ability to accurately shoot perimeter jumpers off the dribble or get to the rim off the dribble. Later in the season, he showed some ability to shoot close in floaters off the bounce. He had his moments as a perimeter defender but his lack of length limits his ability to adequately defends taller guards/wings. He will improve but I doubt to the point where he is starting on a NCAA tourney quality team.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Ben Carlson is Class of 2020, Anderson was 2019. No relationship between the two.

And Mom Grill's Twitter activity had absolutely nothing to do with Caleb's transfer nor placed blame on ISU or the staff. Complete nonsense that you bring that up.

I would agree with you on Leech if the rest of the 2019 class produced at least one starter. Jackson will likely never start for a NCAA tourney quality team and Leech was an avoidable reach.

The poor 2019 HS class is a primary reason for the roster predicament that Prohm is now in and this Spring's transfer class so far has not satisfactorily addressed those gaps, especially at PG.

You are correct it wasn't Carlson. Hurt was out of our league but Liddell was the guy we were chasing.

Grill's mom did post about us playing injured players on her son's way out the door.

I'm not defending the class by any means but when the previous class was so solid it does play a part in who we sign the following year at a program like ours.

Those unexpected departures played the largest role in our down turn.

Cy241

Dec 19, 2013
Johnston, IA
Based on what he displayed last season and his physical upside, it isn't unreasonably early.

He displayed very little in the way of any B12 quality PG skills. He displayed no ability to accurately shoot perimeter jumpers off the dribble or get to the rim off the dribble. Later in the season, he showed some ability to shoot close in floaters off the bounce. He had his moments as a perimeter defender but his lack of length limits his ability to adequately defends taller guards/wings. He will improve but I doubt to the point where he is starting on a NCAA tourney quality team.

There can be tremendous growth between freshman to sophomore season. Example 1 Naz Mitrou-Long

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
There can be tremendous growth between freshman to sophomore season. Example 1 Naz Mitrou-Long

And Matt Thomas. Even a lot of our transfers made huge strides their second year playing here vs their first.

It’s actually very normal to get better after your first season lol.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Naz is the only guy I can think of who was ever a non-factor as a freshman who turned into something. Usually, if the guy is going to be a contributor throughout his career, he is a contributor from just about when he steps onto campus.

Matt Thomas was much better as a freshman than Tre Jackson was. I doubt Jackson gets much playing time on the teams that Matt was a part of and then a foundation of during his career -- when they were 4/4 on the NCAA tournament.

He can get better and did show some flashes, sure, but nothing that blows you out of the water. Small guys who are not elite shooters, elite athletes, or elite PGs are hard to play. Jackson did shoot 37.9% in the Big 12 from three, though, which gives me hope. I imagine his ceiling is "good bench gunner, maybe mix in some okay defense."

Him hanging out as the 6th or 7th best guy on the roster would be an okay outcome.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

I actually agree with your whole paragraph, except the last sentence. If he is one of our best players, I doubt we are a NCAA team, but I think he showed he can be a fine complimentary player. He could be a starter on a quality team imho. His length does hurt him, but he plays decent defense and I thought his offense really started to come around by year end. You are right, I doubt he attached the rim, but I did like his little floater. I do think his 3 PT % will improve quite a bit. So, on the right team he could start, easily a rotation guy. Been trying to come up with a comparable former cyclone - pretty much drawing a blank. My first though was Jake Sullivan, but that is flawed because Jake was always a great shooter. But, except for that, similar I think.

Reactions: JVAR

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
Naz is the only guy I can think of who was ever a non-factor as a freshman who turned into something. Usually, if the guy is going to be a contributor throughout his career, he is a contributor from just about when he steps onto campus.

Matt Thomas was much better as a freshman than Tre Jackson was. I doubt Jackson gets much playing time on the teams that Matt was a part of and then a foundation of during his career -- when they were 4/4 on the NCAA tournament.

He can get better and did show some flashes, sure, but nothing that blows you out of the water. Small guys who are not elite shooters, elite athletes, or elite PGs are hard to play. Jackson did shoot 37.9% in the Big 12 from three, though, which gives me hope. I imagine his ceiling is "good bench gunner, maybe mix in some okay defense."

Him hanging out as the 6th or 7th best guy on the roster would be an okay outcome.

I kind of disagree with the first sentence, I think there are lots of players that go from doing basically nothing their freshman season to becoming a great player. Guys off of the top of my head are Clayton Custer, NWB, Frank Kaminsky, and maybe even Frank Mason... Although I will say I cannot think of a lot of players that did it at Iowa State except for Naz.

One thing about Tre is I thought he improved a lot as the season went on. I think that potentially points towards more of a positive trend in the future.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I don't think it's fair to call Grill a miss though. The kid had a ton of up side but he clearly wanted to play for TJ. His year at Iowa State more or less gave him more time to decide if UNLV would be a good fit for him. Regarding Anderson, I've always thought that there was a lot more to the story and that him leaving prior to the season starting was probably a mutual decision.