***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Let me paraphrase something Paul Rhoads said in his "postmortem" interviews with Chris Williams (or I think it was CW) a year or two after he left...

"When you got yourself one jackass, well, you've got yourself a jackass. When you've got two jackasses, well, you've got yourself a jackass farm."

I think there were a few knuckleheads around last year who probably degraded the team environment it takes for a staff to team the complexities and nuances of team defense, which is what you need to be good at this level.

It is on the staff that the jackasses were around in the first place, but I think Prohm has committed himself to not having the character risks around he used to.

That might help with program discipline and teaching.

Again, kind of grasping here. I just want us to be good again.

:(

knuckleheads work in CBB if theyre good. Juice worth the squeeze kinda thing
see: half the transfers we've ever landed

taking knuckleheads like Marcedus leech, who's headed to his 3rd school in as many semsters or Zion Griffin who posts snapchats of himself smoking weed, is how you end up going 12-20

Reactions: heitclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think Jackson can be a good defender. He was good for a Freshman last year. Yeah it would be huge if a couple Freshman showed up and were really good defenders and rebounders. If this team could just rebound it would improve the defense.

Yeah, the rebounding aspect of our defensive woes is not talked about enough.

Reactions: heitclone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, the rebounding aspect of our defensive woes is not talked about enough.

The more bites at the apple, the easier it is to score.

Giving up offensive boards is basically giving up four outs in an inning.

As we all can imagine and have seen, it usually ends badly.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I would appreciate a trigger warning on posts like these.

You're triggering my PTSD remembering all of those things you describe.

Need some Tyrese highlights to feel better...

Ah there we go.

Wait. Great pass from Haliburton and NIXON MISSES THE LAY-UP!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD PRENTISS NIXON!!!

That stat line for Tyrese last year is absurd. He's a pass first PG who no question should've shot more, but still averaged 15.5. He averaged 6.5 assists, however missed out on averaging more because guys would constantly miss wide open opportunities he provided. He averaged the most rebounds on the team as a PG.

Also, he shot a whopping 59% from the 2, 42% from the 3, and 82% from the FT line (would've been more if he would've taken it to the rim more).

I'm going to miss him because he honestly might've been one of the best players to ever put on a uniform for Iowa State, and his best games/seasons were still in front of him. Go get the bread young man!

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Let me paraphrase something Paul Rhoads said in his "postmortem" interviews with Chris Williams (or I think it was CW) a year or two after he left...

"When you got yourself one jackass, well, you've got yourself a jackass. When you've got two jackasses, well, you've got yourself a jackass farm."

I think there were a few knuckleheads around last year who probably degraded the team environment it takes for a staff to team the complexities and nuances of team defense, which is what you need to be good at this level.

It is on the staff that the jackasses were around in the first place, but I think Prohm has committed himself to not having the character risks around he used to.

That might help with program discipline and teaching.

Again, kind of grasping here. I just want us to be good again.

:(
Blaming the personality of subordinates falls short when the issues have been across several subordinates. That was one of Paul’s flaws, a tendency to pass blame. Such fitting comments from Rhoads.

It’s not that we have outlier jackasses as much as we had college basketball players. I find it much more likely we’ll have improvement from better athletic material than Prohm will suddenly figure out how to motivate kids to execute on defense at a high level.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That stat line for Tyrese last year is absurd. He's a pass first PG who no question should've shot more, but still averaged 15.5. He averaged 6.5 assists, however missed out on averaging more because guys would constantly miss wide open opportunities he provided. He averaged the most rebounds on the team as a PG.

Also, he shot a whopping 59% from the 2, 42% from the 3, and 82% from the FT line (would've been more if he would've taken it to the rim more).

I'm going to miss him because he honestly might've been one of the best players to ever put on a uniform for Iowa State, and his best games/seasons were still in front of him. Go get the bread young man!

...and he turned 20 on February 29, 2020.

Yes, he is one of those leap year babies.

Considering the rate he is progressing... imagining him at 25...

I would take him first overall. Not even kidding. Yeah, cardinal and gold Kool-Aid there, but he is dripping with exactly what the modern NBA wants in a player.

Reactions: Mason2320

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

I would take him first overall. Not even kidding. Yeah, cardinal and gold Kool-Aid there, but he is dripping with exactly what the modern NBA wants in a player.
Depending on who gets the #1 pick and what their needs are position wise, I think he could very well be taken #1. I think it'd be a surprise to a lot of people outside of Ames, and those that are within NBA programs.

If the Warriors get the #1 pick, which they have the best odds at getting, I think we could be looking at our first ever #1 draft pick at Iowa State.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Blaming the personality of subordinates falls short when the issues have been across several subordinates. That was one of Paul’s flaws, a tendency to pass blame. Such fitting comments from Rhoads.

It’s not that we have outlier jackasses as much as we had college basketball players. I find it much more likely we’ll have improvement from better athletic material than Prohm will suddenly figure out how to motivate kids to execute on defense at a high level.

Your response is a fair comment about the quote, but I heard it from Rhoads in context as admitting his failures. That is, he let too many knucklehead players (and a few coaches) into the program, did not do anything about it, and the problem festered, ruined the culture, and divided the locker room to the point it was unrecoverable.

I heard it as, "I know what I did, and I know what went wrong. I did not have enough time to turn it around, and if I ever had another chance, I would be different."

Considering Lard was not welcome back and Lewis and Griffin were shown the door, I think Prohm is attempting a similar reform. Might not work, but he's trying.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Depending on who gets the #1 pick and what their needs are position wise, I think he could very well be taken #1. I think it'd be a surprise to a lot of people outside of Ames, and those that are within NBA programs.

If the Warriors get the #1 pick, which they have the best odds at getting, I think we could be looking at our first ever #1 draft pick at Iowa State.

I get what your saying but Tyrese's range is hard to peg in the top 10 due to team needs and most the prospects are at the same level. I still haven't seen TH being top 3 in any draft I have seen though mainly due to him having a perceived ceiling.

There is a lot of smoke of GSW liking Tyrese and he'd fit in as a prospect who could help them early. If they do get 1 I think it is still likely they would go Edwards/Toppin/Wiesman due to long term upside or trade down to 5ish to take TH instead of at 1. Regardless I don't think Tyrese falls below 8.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Yeah, add about 20 lbs of muscle, and that kid is going to have quite the career.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I thought the Dubs were going to trade out for immediate help.

Need to maximize the window they have with Steph, Klay, and Dray.

That core with a decent supporting cast has proven it can be championship quality.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get what your saying but Tyrese's range is hard to peg in the top 10 due to team needs and most the prospects are at the same level. I still haven't seen TH being top 3 in any draft I have seen though mainly due to him having a perceived ceiling.

There is a lot of smoke of GSW liking Tyrese and he'd fit in as a prospect who could help them early. If they do get 1 I think it is still likely they would go Edwards/Toppin/Wiesman due to long term upside or trade down to 5ish to take TH instead of at 1. Regardless I don't think Tyrese falls below 8.
Out of those 4, I'm choosing Toppin or Tyrese. Personally, I think Tyrese fits their system better and has the potential to play right away more than Obi does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wiesman and Edwards are good players, but I've seen so many guys like them end up being "meh" NBA players. In the right system, Tyrese could flourish. He's got the best vision in the entire draft, if you leave him open (teams that play the Warriors would have to) he can knock it down at limitless range, and he's 6'5" with a 6'9" wingspan who plays passing lanes very well.

I'm biased, and Tyrese may not go #1 due to trades and whatnot, but I think he'd be a great fit for Golden State.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Out of those 4, I'm choosing Toppin or Tyrese. Personally, I think Tyrese fits their system better and has the potential to play right away more than Obi does.

Don't get me wrong, I think Wiesman and Edwards are good players, but I've seen so many guys like them end up being "meh" NBA players. In the right system, Tyrese could flourish. He's got the best vision in the entire draft, if you leave him open (teams that play the Warriors would have to) he can knock it down at limitless range, and he's 6'5" with a 6'9" wingspan who plays passing lanes very well.

I'm biased, and Tyrese may not go #1 due to trades and whatnot, but I think he'd be a great fit for Golden State.

We're all fans of Tyrese and I expect him to succeed in the NBA, but I actually think it may be better for his career if he goes 5-10 range and avoiding the expectations that come with going top 3.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We're all fans of Tyrese and I expect him to succeed in the NBA, but I actually think it may be better for his career if he goes 5-10 range and avoiding the expectations that come with going top 3.
That could very well be true.

tclone45

Oct 22, 2018
How do Bart Torvik's previous projections compare to actual results? Just curious...

It's not so different than any advanced statistic in that regard I'd say. So for P6 schools it is above average to good at predictions, but dipping into mid-majors it struggles more.

I'd say right now we are solidly in 8th in the big 12 ahead of K-state and TCU and behind OU and OSU.

One thing to keep in mind for TH and JCL is that they are coming from offenses that ranked 213th and 171st respectively. Coming into an offense that ranked 50th. The way they fit into those offenses will be different from ours.

Reactions: necromancy

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
knuckleheads work in CBB if theyre good. Juice worth the squeeze kinda thing
see: half the transfers we've ever landed

taking knuckleheads like Marcedus leech, who's headed to his 3rd school in as many semsters or Zion Griffin who posts snapchats of himself smoking weed, is how you end up going 12-20
I don't have a problem with them taking a change on Leech given how high of a reward that could have been. The problem is they also missed on Anderson and Grill. Missing on 75% of a class is brutal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron