***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It also paints a target on our five returners (or at least Conditt, Jackson, and Young, who have not yet transferred like Bolton and Johnson have).

I am not saying any of them want to bail... if they wanted to, they probably would have by now, and especially Solomon, who would be highly coveted as a graduate transfer right now... but it makes it easier for them to do so if they want to.

The real problematic thing about about that rule change would be next spring. If we suck again, and everybody has one mulligan for a transfer with immediate eligibility, then Conditt, Jackson, and the four incoming freshmen might want to explore other options. That goes doubly so if Prohm is fired and they do not like the new coach.

For example, Blackwell and Foster could be pretty good for freshmen in the Big 12, but that might not be nearly good enough to turn the fortunes of the program around, which means Prohm is out of work and those two are free to bail to a host of suitors. They have to be re-recruited by whoever the new coach would be, and that might not end with them sticking around Ames. So we might be close to starting over.

Cupboards could be pretty bare in the future when new coaches (and not just in Ames here, mind you) come into a school if guys can leave so easily like that.
That’s not the new admission rule (no longer requiring qualifying test scores).

The transfer rule will favor good programs, good fast (transfer) recruiters, and programs skilled at communication with their team. Needless to say, I don’t see a large increase in roster risk whether we have a coaching change or not. There could be some guys that leave if Prohm and staff move down a level, but that’s often overblown and a new staff would presumably bring in their own connections. I like our roster in two years, but we don’t even know how many would have high WAR values.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I said I hope he suddenly becomes a good coach. That’s not rooting for him to fail, it’s knowing he will. Wanting a better coach isn’t a Cyclone hater, I’m just not a blind idiot who’s OK with mediocrity. Most schools would have fired him already, because they want good programs.

I really doubt most schools would have fired him by now.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That’s not the new admission rule (no longer requiring qualifying test scores).

The transfer rule will favor good programs, good fast (transfer) recruiters, and programs skilled at communication with their team. Needless to say, I don’t see a large increase in roster risk whether we have a coaching change or not. There could be some guys that leave if Prohm and staff move down a level, but that’s often overblown and a new staff would presumably bring in their own connections. I like our roster in two years, but we don’t even know how many would have high WAR values.

I guess this is the balance --

If our guys are good enough for other schools to covet them, then maybe we didn't suck next year. Maybe there's some hope going into 2021-2022.

If our guys are bad, then Prohm probably gets fired, but we probably do not have much talent that is really worth regretting its departure then.

The horrifying middle ground is we have a few pieces, but not enough to put us over the top, and they go away if and when a coaching change happens.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’ve said it before, I think we can be decent if we get a PG. But Prohm can’t recruit in the spring.

Transfer
Bolton
Blackwell/Dubar
Johnson
Young

Not winning the conference or anything, but if it’s a good PG and good freshman class we can be competitive.

But I’ve accepted a good PG isn’t happening.

0-22

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I said I hope he suddenly becomes a good coach. That’s not rooting for him to fail, it’s knowing he will. Wanting a better coach isn’t a Cyclone hater, I’m just not a blind idiot who’s OK with mediocrity. Most schools would have fired him already, because they want good programs.

Honestly I think Cyclone basketball fans are becoming to much like Hawkeye football fans. No down years allowed and if it happens the coach is trash and needs to go. I wish Iowa would have fired Ferentz long ago when fans were hating on him. That way they would suck way more than they do. They built a solid program. Cyclone fans think we are now Nirth Carolina or some crap. All teams have down years or a few. Prohm is not my favorite coach but replacing four guys after his first year, then having 3-4 of his one class gone after two year to pro basketball has been hard to recoup from. Give him time. He has four solid freshman recruits. Bolton and we are looking solid on some 2021 recruits as well. Do I love him so far? Nope but I get the situation is a little hard the way it has gone down. No excuse I just know our program is not Duke or Syracuse .

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Honestly I think Cyclone basketball fans are becoming to much like Hawkeye football fans. No down years allowed and if it happens the coach is trash and needs to go. I wish Iowa would have fired Ferentz long ago when fans were hating on him. That way they would suck way more than they do. They built a solid program. Cyclone fans think we are now Nirth Carolina or some crap. All teams have down years or a few. Prohm is not my favorite coach but replacing four guys after his first year, then having 3-4 of his one class gone after two year to pro basketball has been hard to recoup from. Give him time. He has four solid freshman recruits. Bolton and we are looking solid on some 2021 recruits as well. Do I love him so far? Nope but I get the situation is a little hard the way it has gone down. No excuse I just know our program is not Duke or Syracuse .

There’s nothing wrong with rebuilding. We had a rebuild year two years ago. Now another one having the worst year since what, the 70’s? And it looks like a rebuild year again next year.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So let's be clear. YOU'RE ROOTING for Steve Prohm to fail. Even if ISU would have a solid season next year, you still don't want Steve Prohm here.

You aren't really a Cyclone Fan(atic). You are a anti-Steve Prohm fan. In the end, ROOTING AGAINST your coach is rooting against your team. You are worse than BANDWAGON fan. The Hawks need fans like you.

He said nothing of the sort.

Clones17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2020
Does anyone have an idea at this point of which transfers are on our radar? Who seems realistic, who doesn't?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Prohm has had some things to deal with as far as the roster but he's brought 15 HS/JC recruits here, 7 who were big 12 players, 7 that left because they weren't big 12 caliber players and then Lard. So at best, 8/15 recruits he brought in were big 12 players. The other 7 that left w/o ever making an impact are a bigger deal IMO. You can't miss on or fail to develop 50% of the kids you bring in and expect success. If he's able to develop Lewis and Griffin in to even decent big 12 players, losing LW and THT would have been much easier to overcome. No one is acting like we need to be Duke, we just want a big 12 quality roster every year. That shouldn't be expecting too much.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I guess this is the balance --

1.) If our guys are good enough for other schools to covet them, then maybe we didn't suck next year. Maybe there's some hope going into 2021-2022.

2.) If our guys are bad, then Prohm probably gets fired, but we probably do not have much talent that is really worth regretting its departure then.

3.) The horrifying middle ground is we have a few pieces, but not enough to put us over the top, and they go away if and when a coaching change happens.
1.) This is where I’m at. Which is why despite being 0-22 this spring (it’s likely worse than that), we’re close imo.

Think of Brown (Wake Forest) playing a Shayok role, Bolton as Wigginton. We’d just need some ball-control, which I think is undervalued in looking at stats and we could land/find. Plus it’s not crazy to think Jackson and Bolton would improve, or Walker could be ready to be a positive. Add a Brown type (there will be more) and the Kier, and we have a good backcourt, with two more openings!

2.) This could be true, more than I’d care to admit. However I don’t think it means the cupboard is bare. This staff went 9-9 with a very good roster. They’ve lost to some really bad teams with rosters capable of beating good ones. If this happens, Is it possible Prohm and staff are just not as good as their peers? That there is slippage in the conversion of innate talent to wins?

3A.)I won’t dispute this, it is possible. But in 3B, I remind you programs can pivot very quickly in basketball, so I’m not pricing this very heavily into decisions (in my fantasy world!). You’d also have to prove more would leave in this case with a coaching change than would leave if Prohm stayed. Imo some will stay, regardless, and the only chance we have of refilling is with a change and new connections

Reactions: HoustonClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron