Official: 2014 Iowa State Fair Thread

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I wanted to start this thread because I'm bored with the fair. I thought people could post some hidden gems or fun things they do to reinvigorate the fair experience.

My awesome tip from last year:

Go on Pork Day, they hand out pork samples in the "Ag building"? I think it is right across from the Bud Tent. Sitting next to the samples were cards for a free Pork Chop on A Stick at the pork tent. Well, needless to say I went through the line about 5 times and grabbed about 10 cards each time through the line. Everyone was eating pork chops on a stick for the rest of the day.

Bonus: The pork chop on a stick is delicious.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
When is pork day?

My tip is to go after 5pm (or is it 6pm?) when the admission prices decrease.

*edit: It's $5 off admission after 5pm, Mon-Thurs.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't know haha...got lucky last year that I went on that day. I asked in some other thread but never got a response. Maybe a pork guy could enlighten us.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
What day do all the overweight, white-trash hillbillies go? Cause that is the day I would like to avoid.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What day do all the overweight, white-trash hillbillies go? Cause that is the day I would like to avoid.

You don't like to go and gawk at them? I love it - my polo shirt makes me feel like a million bucks.

We go every year just for something to do. But yeah, it gets really repetitive after awhile.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I will be going this year for the first time in about 5 years. I just don't get the excitement for this sort of stuff, plus being a cheapskate doesn't make me excited to spend a small fortune on beer/food/etc. Like, wow, a cow made out of butter. Looking at a picture of it is just as good as seeing it in person IMO.

I do like to people watch, so at least there's that. What else (if anything) is 'can't miss'?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's probably been 10 years since I've been to the fair, and I generally don't like it, but now that my daughter is old enough to enjoy it, I'm taking her. Anything in particular to avoid?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It's probably been 10 years since I've been to the fair, and I generally don't like it, but now that my daughter is old enough to enjoy it, I'm taking her. Anything in particular to avoid?

The fair in general?

Reactions: im4cyclones

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

We do rides at a county fair, so we always try to avoid the midway. I know for some with kids that is the main draw to the fair, but we try to take advantage of all the free events instead. We are fun haters in our family. ;)

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
yeah, that's not happening. She's too excited about it to back out now.

We spent 3 days at a great county fair, so now our 3yr old loves fairs. She is very excited for the state fair, too. And when I told her we were going to Fareway the other day she was expecting rides.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I love the State Fair. I go multiple times every year. I realize it's not for everyone, but some keys to having fun:
You'll probably have to spend some money.
You'll probably have to eat some unhealthy food.
You'll need to be willing to watch some shows/acts that you normally wouldn't watch.
Slow down and take it all in and rest often.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I love the State Fair. I go multiple times every year. I realize it's not for everyone, but some keys to having fun:
You'll probably have to spend some money.
You'll probably have to eat some unhealthy food.
You'll need to be willing to watch some shows/acts that you normally wouldn't watch.
Slow down and take it all in and rest often.

Sir, you are a great Iowan. It is much, much nicer to have a fair than to have nothing to look forward to besides the next blockbuster Marvel movie.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
Not the biggest fan of the fair, but if you don't get a cup or bucket of cookies you're doing it wrong.