Official: 2014 Iowa State Fair Thread

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If I wanted to get sad about humanity I'll just go to walmart, I don't need to pay to get in there.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
To the on that asked about things to avoid:
1) Driving your 30 foot horse trailer thru residential areas of Pleasant Hill. You wont make a 90 degree left hand turn. No matter how much you try. I saw this already and the fair doesnt start for two days
2) Dean Avenue is not for walking your livestock to a trailer. It is a STREET
3) The proper thing when lost is DONT stop in the middle of both lanes of traffic
I'll add a few.

1) If you need to park in a specific lot, figure out where that lot is before you go. Don't stop and back up traffic at other gates to ask and get directions.

2) If you need handicap parking, figure out where the handicap parking is before you go. Don't stop and back up traffic at other gates to ask and get directions.

3) Don't stop and sit on a busy street to wait to pick up or drop off people. Find a spot to pull off and let everyone in or out there. A little extra walking is good for everyone.

The point is to not be an oblivious ****** and get in everyone else's way because you are too self centered.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I understand those with kids liking to go. I've been twice. Once as a kid, once as an adult. I don't regret it or anything, but after about an hour or so, I was ready to be done. Be glad though, Iowa's is actually really good. I went to the Indiana State Fair last year and it was awful. I've been to local and county fairs in Iowa that have been better than that thing. The only positive about them is try usually can pull on good performing acts, for some reason. But other than that, it's like, three rides, 9 pizza stands, 15 lemonade stands, and a cotton candy stand.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I use to go to the fair once every 4 or 5 years and didn't really love it. I went last year and hung out at the craft beer tent and ate a bunch of state fair food. It was a good time. I'm not interested in cows, pigs, hot tubs, etc so I just skip those events. Just because there are 500 things to do doesn't mean that you have to do them all.

Bu4ISU

Sep 2, 2012
Seattle
Has anyone heard of the People of the Iowa State Fair facebook page? basically if you go check it out its people posting pictures of the most ridiculous people at the fair. So now you don't even need to go to people watch. Anyways the Iowa State Fair board or whatever tried to shut it down and facebook told them they cant