Nope.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
It's not the losses that are turning fans away. It's how we lose games. Is that plain and simple enough for everyone to understand. ISU is by no means a basketball powerhouse and never has been. We've always struggled on the road in conference and we haven't for the most part been a perennial NCAA team. Everybody understands that.

However, we've usually always been able to be a functionable and respectable team on the road and we would fight to the death to protect the home court. Please tell me when you've felt that still existed on a consistent basis for the last 3.5 years.

It's like I keep saying, I really like Mac and I hope to hell that he can turns things around and show us something to make us believe, but I've seen no such glimmer of hope.

A coaching change is the absolute worst thing that can happen to this program and it sucks that we even have to have this discussion, but sitting by and watching a proud program and fanbase get torn a part and slowly die is even worse.

An argument I can get behind.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
It's not the losses that are turning fans away. It's how we lose games. Is that plain and simple enough for everyone to understand. ISU is by no means a basketball powerhouse and never has been. We've always struggled on the road in conference and we haven't for the most part been a perennial NCAA team. Everybody understands that.

However, we've usually always been able to be a functionable and respectable team on the road and we would fight to the death to protect the home court. Please tell me when you've felt that still existed on a consistent basis for the last 3.5 years.

It's like I keep saying, I really like Mac and I hope to hell that he can turns things around and show us something to make us believe, but I've seen no such glimmer of hope.

A coaching change is the absolute worst thing that can happen to this program and it sucks that we even have to have this discussion, but sitting by and watching a proud program and fanbase get torn a part and slowly die is even worse.

This.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I don't think I will ever be done. I am proud to have Graduated from ISU. At this point I am not proud of the product in Men's BB, but who am I going to cheer for? Our stumble has come at the worst possible period of time. The Big 12 is brutal this year and programs around us have stepped up. Regardless we still have a great fanbase, and now competitive facilities. Like LE says players will come here. GMac needs to step it up, or we need to find the right leader for this program, because this University has a lot to offer.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I understand everyones frustration, the naysayers, the optimists...this sucks!!!

I will continue to go to every game possible, buying the corner seats for $15 for my son and I. My work schedule currently sucks, but will improve in 2 weeks, however I see no light at the end of this McDermott tunnel. Coach mentioned on the post-game interview how he was disappointed that the team didn't respond to what they did well in the 1st half....dude, they laid down and died, the will isn't there anymore, they barely hung on to beat Colorado last weekend.

I'm not calling for Mac's job right now or after the season, but this program needs a miracle in the next 14 months. I pray it happens, we love Mac, he would be the perfect fit for ISU, but I'm afraid his system isn't meant for BCS style basketball. These players are wound so tight right now...I feel so,so sorry for them.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I really don't have any problem with what the OP wrote. If you feel you've gotten in a bad investment but have a way to get out of it if that is the right decision for you than who are we to be so critical of that and insinuate that the OP isn't a "true fan"? Should true fans be a bunch of lemmings that follow a program off the cliff?

Hell, I'm feeling a bit ripped off by my purchase of ESPN's Full Court package, bought pretty much so I could follow my 'Clones all the way from Colorado. I DVR'ed last night's game (picked up a shift at work for a friend), but after seeing the final score and reading the recap online, I'm not going to watch it.

Sounds like I'm around the same age as the OP and that we have a similar background when it comes to ISU BB fandom. I was more or less raised on going to ISU basketball games in Hilton as a kid. I remember coming back from 18 down against Oklahoma State because I was THERE. But with the disappointment this season has brought to me so far, it just doesn't matter as much as it used to.

I would love to see McDermott succeed (I know, everyone would). I think he's a man of terrific and impeccable character, and it's sad to see to see him struggle and deal with a bunch of bad breaks (which I hope objectively everyone can agree with) while arrogant jackasses like Lane Kiffin keep on falling upwards for no good reason. But.....for whatever reason, it's just not working. I don't like making coaching changes either, Iowa State has done that too much since the mid-'90's (average length of tenure for ISU BB coaches post-Orr, not including McDermott, four years). But at the same time, we should not continue to keep on digging ourselves a deeper and deeper hole.

Maybe it's not as tough for me as it for others. I also have allegiances to UNI (got my undergrad degree there) and Central Michigan University (got my masters there). UNI having such a great season in basketball so far helps alleviate the disappointment of ISU for me. Same for both ISU and CMU having great football seasons while UNI was a disappointment. I was cheering for ISU over UNI in basketball, as I thought that an ISU win would be more important for the Cyclones than a UNI loss would be for the Panthers (sadly, right now that win can't really be considered a good win for UNI anymore).

I guess my point is I agree with the OP. If I was in his shoes I would likely be making the same choice, as painful as it would be.

Reactions: CycloneErik

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

CBD...preach on!

An argument I can get behind.

Might as well etch this in stone because it is exactly right.

clone99

Sep 14, 2007
Iowa
All I know is that Solid Defense, running some sort of offense, Not turn the ball over, paying attention to where you pass the ball, make free throws are the basics of basketball and we don't do any of them. I learned these things in Junior high basketball and yet the guys can't seem to do any of it at the college level. I'm pretty sure they were doing those things in high school or junior college otherwise they would never have ended up at a div 1 big 12 basketball team.

I like McDermott, thought he was a great hire, but after 3.5 seasons I am pretty sure I was wrong. Right or Wrong all of this is on the head Coaches shoulders, and the second half of the Baylor game made me want throw up. Something Has To Change!

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
51353849.jpg

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
As a season ticket holder, I can tell you body language this year is worse than previous years. There's been numerous times when players are taken out of games and McDermett will try and slap hands with them when they walk by to the chairs, and a good amount of the times the players just ignore him and go and sit down and look disenchanted.

Alot of this reminds of the Morgan era, sorry to say it...I've noticed this too....like I posted earlier, this team is wound way too tight right now. Heck, after the buzzer went off against Colorado and Craig got the ball, he slammed it down in disappointment...I don't blame him, it never should've came down to that, however we won the game.....crazy.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I just hope all you haters stay off the bandwago when things get better. You all were ecstatic about Mac when he came to ISU but you're allowed to jump off his ship while it possibly sinks? Replacing Mac would just push us back another 3-4 years. This year isn't even over yet, who knows what could happen!

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Alot of this reminds of the Morgan era, sorry to say it...I've noticed this too....like I posted earlier, this team is wound way too tight right now. Heck, after the buzzer went off against Colorado and Craig got the ball, he slammed it down in disappointment...I don't blame him, it never should've came down to that, however we won the game.....crazy.

The Morgan Era.... without the winning, you mean.

Unless we turn it around and win 6 of our last 9 (highly unlikely) Morgan will have won more Big 12 games in 3 years that Gmac could in 4! And we fired Morgan for not being good enough! Yeah these past 4 years have sucked.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I've devoted my basketball watching to 5th grade girls. Much more rewarding even in the losses. The choice is a no-brainer. If ISU was playing well I would have difficult decisions to make for my time. As it is the decision is simple.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Bad idea. Hilton, when full, is comprised of thousands of bandwagon fans.

Sadly that is a lot of sports. But I know most cyclone fans are above that. Look at all the losing years in football where we consistently had over 40,000 in attendance?

cystud

Apr 15, 2006
I've devoted my basketball watching to 5th grade girls. Much more rewarding even in the losses. The choice is a no-brainer. If ISU was playing well I would have difficult decisions to make for my time. As it is the decision is simple.

Hmmmm.......I assume you have a daughter or relative playing 5th grade basketball, and aren't going around town watching random 5th grade girls games?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Hmmmm.......I assume you have a daughter or relative playing 5th grade basketball, and aren't going around town watching random 5th grade girls games?

Daughter. I am a pervert but they have to be legal.