Nice Restaurants in Des Moines .

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I spent several weeks in Korea and Korean BBQ was by far the easiest on my western palate. So I assume they had the grill at the table and you grill it yourself given your son was the grill master. Was it an electric grill, or did they actually light charcoal at the table? I experienced both in Korea, but I always wondered if charcoal at the the table would actually fly in America for safety reasons.

I loved bulgogi, but also really enjoyed the pork belly (samgyeopsal). I'll have to give this place a try.
I believe that it's a gas grill at this restaurant, but don't hold me to that.

Reactions: NorthCyd

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
801 is obviously great. I haven’t been in many years. I should go again soon for research purposes. Only way to confirm Oak Park was better.

We went to 801 for the first time this year. It was really good, but the most expensive meal I've ever had in my life. And we were just in Vegas in November.

I would go back, but it would have to be for a special occasion.

Smaller than I expected, and packed on a Saturday night. There was a table of loudmouth jackasses about 15 inches away from us. They were Hawkeye fans and the night was much more pleasant once they left.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
We went to 801 for the first time this year. It was really good, but the most expensive meal I've ever had in my life. And we were just in Vegas in November.

I would go back, but it would have to be for a special occasion.

Smaller than I expected, and packed on a Saturday night. There was a table of loudmouth jackasses about 15 inches away from us. They were Hawkeye fans and the night was much more pleasant once they left.
Don't go to Oak Park unless you plan on paying even more.

• Informative
Reactions: Tailg8er and MJ29

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Since we’re reviving the thread, went to Oak Park last month. Phenomenal. Very pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Maybe the best steak I’ve ever had. Everything was amazing.

Any relation to the Parks of Hickory?

Reactions: Nothingman

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
Places that I've liked that are "fancier" and have had good experiences.

1) Trostels Greenbriar.
2) Firebirds
3) 801 Grand
4) Tupelo Honey
5) Christophers
6) Irinas
7) Urban Grill
8) Sakari/Akebono (semi-nice)
9)Olympic Flame
10) used to be an ankeny Italian restaurant but can't seem to locate it. I'm wondering if It is Biancas Grill & Vineyard now because that looks like where it used to be. Can't remember the name of it, but thought it started with an I or L.

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I feel kind of horrible saying it because Waterfront has been our favorite DSM seafood place for over a decade now, but the last few times we've been there it's been a bit of a let down. One time I got the potato crusted halibut and it was pretty meh. Last time I got a pan fried walleye, and same thing, it was just kind of there. The rice and veggies as sides were also pretty unmemorable. The girls got crab legs and loved it, and I think their sushi rolls are awesome. Just the past few entrees I've gotten have seemed pretty uninspired.
Unfortunately I had similar experience my last few times. Which is sad because it's been very good in the past.

• Sad
Reactions: Gonzo

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Since we’re reviving the thread, went to Oak Park last month. Phenomenal. Very pricey but worth it for a special occasion. Maybe the best steak I’ve ever had. Everything was amazing.
Can confirm. We went in January and it was fantastic. I do think this initial menu is pretty "simple" for what the restaurant is trying to be. I'm hoping it's more of a preview of what is to come. We had the gnocchi for starters, duck fettuccini, filet, and finished with the donut, everything was spectacular.

Some of my favorite spots in Des Moines:
Skips: Their nachos are on a different level
Lacheles: Best Smashburger in Des Moines
el Chero: Salvadorian/Honduran joint on Hubbel with incredible Pupusas and Baleadas, everything is incredibly fresh
Mi Patria: Ecuadorian food. This was on DDD. The amount of food you get is awesome. Llapingachos are a must.
Simon's: Tried their pizza for the first time last week and it too is incredible
Tacos Marianas: One of the best Mexican joints in town

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Don't go to Oak Park unless you plan on paying even more.
Oh that's on our list. :p

In 801's defense, we went in with the 'spare no expense' mindset. We got a lobster appetizer that was $90, and probably close to that in drinks. Hell, I had a $30 whiskey at the end just for grins.

Reactions: chadly82

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My personal favorites on this id have to say 801, Johnnys steakhouse and Simons. Great selection for all 3 as well

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
My personal favorites on this id have to say 801, Johnnys steakhouse and Simons. Great selection for all 3 as well
Wondered if Johnny's was still there. Ate there several times a long time ago and it was great.
Is the Crystal Tree still there?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Wondered if Johnny's was still there. Ate there several times a long time ago and it was great.
Is the Crystal Tree still there?
I don’t think I’m familiar with that, I’ve been to the one by the airport and in the hotel in wdm

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I had the opportunity to eat at the Downtown Embassy Club at the top of the Ruan building over the holidays. Pretty fancy and really good food if you can get in.

Go there every couple of months with work clients and the food is very underrated. And can’t beat the views. Was there a few weeks ago and had their dry aged NY strip and it was awesome. Need a membership to go there though.

Simons, Cosi Cucina, Flying Mango, and Urban Grill are favorites of ours (clearly we have a restaurant type…old school, great food, decent prices).

For “fancier” places, big Django, Lucca (lunch is great), Fresko, and Aposto fans.

For awesome food but the opposite of fancy, Basic Bird, Tavern, South Union, and Manhattan Deli.

Reactions: Cytown12 and MJ29

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Big fan of Simon's, tough to get in there though. Good problem for them.
Skips is great.
For a little outside the box, AJs @ Prairie Meadows is good.

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung and CyDawg23

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Go there every couple of months with work clients and the food is very underrated. And can’t beat the views. Was there a few weeks ago and had their dry aged NY strip and it was awesome. Need a membership to go there though.

Simons, Cosi Cucina, Flying Mango, and Urban Grill are favorites of ours (clearly we have a restaurant type…old school, great food, decent prices).

For “fancier” places, big Django, Lucca (lunch is great), Fresko, and Aposto fans.

For awesome food but the opposite of fancy, Basic Bird, Tavern, South Union, and Manhattan Deli.
NEED to get to Basic Bird!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron