More Pac-12 Turmoil

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
6 Minutes to Kick off:

DtSyHCIV4AE8cGt.jpg:large

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
At the time of the last round of expansion and the media deals that followed, much of the conventional wisdom was that the Big 12 had poor management and a weak position because they passed on a conference owned TV network. I think time has shown that despite the heat they took, the Big 12 was very smart in resisting expansion and shrewdly managing their media rights. Now that the cable TV model is crumbling, other conferences with massive media infrastructure are going to be the ones with limited options and higher overhead.

There's more work to be done, but I gotta say the Big 12 has actually proven to me that they aren't afraid to do things differently than the other guys.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
At the time of the last round of expansion and the media deals that followed, much of the conventional wisdom was that the Big 12 had poor management and a weak position because they passed on a conference owned TV network. I think time has shown that despite the heat they took, the Big 12 was very smart in resisting expansion and shrewdly managing their media rights. Now that the cable TV model is crumbling, other conferences with massive media infrastructure are going to be the ones with limited options and higher overhead.

There's more work to be done, but I gotta say the Big 12 has actually proven to me that they aren't afraid to do things differently than the other guys.
The Big 12 has better payouts then the Pac 12. Two years in a row OU has made the CFP and Texas is back in the top of the conference. As long as OU and UT are happy (which they have to be) in the current Big 12, I wouldn't worry about realignment in a few years. If anything, we may poach a couple Pac 12 teams in a few years (looking at you Arizona and ASU).

Reactions: Die4Cy

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Glad Texas had a good year so that they feel better about the big 12. Texas is still in for a ride awakening the next time they negotiate for the longhorn network. Playing on that channel showed me what a s***show that channel is. I'm not sure I want to expand west given pac12 problems and WVU being in our conference. I'm good with 10. Keep building those brands and splitting the playoff money 10 ways.

• Friendly
Reactions: Joel1

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I have no idea how the financials work out in the future. Expand if we must. Otherwise, l really, really like the 10 team format.

I think the Big 12 football championship helped Oklahoma this year. Although that may not always be the case, I think overall adding the Championship game helps the confrence. Its kind of a "prove it" game.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I feel bad for WSU. I'm excited to watch them play the Cyclones in the Alamo Bowl and it should be a fun game. That being said, they absolutely should have made a New Years 6 game. Seems like Pac-12 turmoil is getting to the ADs too.

With the Pac-12 teetering on the brink of irrelevance in regard to the College Football Playoff discussion the past several weeks, Washington State athletic director Pat Chun believes that led to the Cougars being ranked lower, at No. 13, than they should have been in the selection committee's final rankings.

"We can easily infer that where we're ranked is a result of maybe the perception of the league," Chun said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...c-director-decries-perception-pac-12-football

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I dunno. What really bad calls went against us this football season? I really feel like those demons were exorcised in the Liberty Bowl when we overcame Montgomery's non-fumble. Campbell refuses to play the victim and that mentality seems to have been adopted by the program to the point where even the officials take us seriously now.

That's a great thing.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I feel bad for WSU. I'm excited to watch them play the Cyclones in the Alamo Bowl and it should be a fun game. That being said, they absolutely should have made a New Years 6 game. Seems like Pac-12 turmoil is getting to the ADs too.

With the Pac-12 teetering on the brink of irrelevance in regard to the College Football Playoff discussion the past several weeks, Washington State athletic director Pat Chun believes that led to the Cougars being ranked lower, at No. 13, than they should have been in the selection committee's final rankings.

"We can easily infer that where we're ranked is a result of maybe the perception of the league," Chun said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...c-director-decries-perception-pac-12-football

Well the PAC-12 certainly did itself no favors last bowl season.

I think the Big 12 football championship helped Oklahoma this year. Although that may not always be the case, I think overall adding the Championship game helps the confrence. Its kind of a "prove it" game.

The Big 12 Championship helps the entire conference no matter the outcome. It's a money generator. We really hit a home run this year getting Oklahoma into the playoff AND Texas into the Sugar. I'm sick of OU's success, but I'll be rooting like hell for them to beat Bama and possibly win a 'ship for our conference. We need one.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Well the PAC-12 certainly did itself no favors last bowl season.

The Big 12 Championship helps the entire conference no matter the outcome. It's a money generator. We really hit a home run this year getting Oklahoma into the playoff AND Texas into the Sugar. I'm sick of OU's success, but I'll be rooting like hell for them to beat Bama and possibly win a 'ship for our conference. We need one.

If OU beats Bama, I'm wearing some OU stuff into work the next day.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
It's time for Big12 to be the poacher, instead of being poached. Pac12 is dead. Talk about dysfunctional conference, they make Big12 look amazing!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron