More Pac-12 Turmoil

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
It is amazing that the Pac XII continues to allow so many of its conference matchups to play out on a network that no one is watching. The articles really show a sense of entitlement in that leadership. You can tell from Moos's comments the amount of contempt he has for Scott. I always wondered why he would leave his alma mater to go to Nebraska. Getting a better picture of why it happened now.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
So Scott sent out a video announcement to his employees announcing he was getting a contract extension? What a tool

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Regarding adding Arizona and ASU, what is the motivation behind adding them to the Big 12?

Enrollment-wise, Arizona and ASU are large schools. And Arizona is an AAU school, which would add some academic prestige to the conference. However, according to the college fan base estimate that was published several years ago (and granted, this report is getting dated), Arizona and ASU don't have large sports followings...406,000 and 606,000 respectively. For reference, tOSU has 3,167,000, UT has 2,250,000, OU has 1,201,000, and ISU has 535,000.

And this is part of the Pac-12 problem. Despite having the state with the largest population in their geographic footprint, and several large-enrollment schools outside of California, nobody watches their sports network. College sports doesn't seem to carry the priority in the Pac-12 culture that it does in other conferences.

Arizona and ASU aren't going to bring alot of eyeballs to sweeten the Big-12 TV deal. They are going to add another timezone to the conference. They seem to be average or worse in football the past few seasons, and as such don't draw much national attention. Adding two schools would destroy the true round robin arrangement for most sports in the Big 12.

So apart from the inevitable posts of cute coed pictures, what will those two schools add to the Big 12? Is there some faux sense of stability that comes from having 12 teams? In the current college sports atmosphere, stability comes from the conference revenue distribution. If new members aren't improving the payout, then IMO, they aren't adding any kind of stability to the conference.

I think there are several factors here that are in play, the recruiting, the new time zone, the TV market, and others. But I think a lot of people see this as a better option than adding a bunch of G5 schools, that water down the conference. While we all know there are some really good G5 schools that can be in a P5 conference, we all know there are a lot of stigmas that go with them and many of them can compete in 1 sport but fail miserably in another. I for one would like adding long standing P5 schools that are an overall good package.
I also feel that everyone may be looking at the past for what conference realignment will be, and we may find that in the future that things may go a different way. But in reality how does this happen without an all out breakup of conferences or schools getting kicked out of conferences.
One possibility is what people have stated on here that conferences will break up into 8 to 10 team smaller conferences. But without actually kicking teams out of the conferences or some major shakeup I do not see this happening unless someone gets involved on a National level and forces all conferences to break up.
But what could happen is the P5 conferences go to 16 to 20 teams, basically making divisions of what the smaller conferences would be. Then the first round of the playoff would be the best out of each division or the conference championship.
Depending on the size of these divisions they would not necessarily have a cross division game, they would essentially be 2 conferences, inside a mega conference, but could have possibly 1 or 2 crossovers while still playing full round robin, again depending on the full size, and how they schedule "non-conference games."
This would essentially expand the system to the many smaller conferences without all the conferences having to break up or kicking out almost half their members, while allowing for a substantial renegotiation of media deals, realignment of schools inside conferences, and expansion of a full playoff system.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm gonna do this next time I get a raise. Broadcast that sucker company-wide.

Dear CF people,

I'd like to announce that I just gave myself a bonus. I've done a very good job this year and feel I really deserved it. I'd like to thank myself for increasing my productivity and also thank myself for giving me the bonus.

Thanks

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Sort of seems like the word is filtering out from his underlings that they want Scott gone and stability before contract renegotiations.

Long form reporting like the linked piece takes a lot of time and a lot of sources. The long knives are out for Scott, and the fact that so many people are airing their dirty laundry to reporters probably tells you he should be watching his back!

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
Man, watching that video makes me think a confident and more capable cyjury would have done the same thing with a contract extension. lol

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Let's add Arkansas. Good geographical fit, Jerry Jones would love his alma mater playing in his dome, they've been getting killed in the SEC. bye felicia (Baylor)

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Let's add Arkansas. Good geographical fit, Jerry Jones would love his alma mater playing in his dome, they've been getting killed in the SEC. bye felicia (Baylor)
I think everyone wants to add Arkansas, but I don't see how we get anyone away from the SEC at this point. Its about money, security and stability, all things the SEC has. The next round is going to be about money, and about adding more intriguing match-ups to entice more viewership, both in stadiums and on TV.

In this era of streaming and multiple options for media, allowing you to watch almost any D1 football or basketball game, its going to be about quality of product instead of quantity I think.
But at this point who knows, if the next round is to get everyone to 16 to 20 team conferences to make basically 2 sub conferences inside a mega conference, each with a full round robin schedule, to help expand the playoff system, at that point all bets are off.

My honest feeling is I don't believe WVU is a long term school in the conference. It feels like they jumped at the chance to get into the Big 12 in order to build their resume' so when the next round of expansions/GOR talks they will start looking to go elsewhere. While I don't have any real knowledge of this I just have a hunch. I can see them starting to flirt with the SEC or ACC in a few years. Which could kick off the next round of changes or it could be brought on if/when the Big 12 starts looking to expand west into Pac 12 territory, and they want to get into a conference with more regional similarity. If we could add Arkansas in place of WVU it would be a home run in my book, but I just don't know how that happens.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
Washington and Utah will suit up for the Pac-12 Championship game today at Levi's Stadium. They're seemingly the best the conference has, but the demand for tickets should serve as evidence of a larger issue.

A pair of tickets for the Washington-Utah title game: $28.

Two tickets to the SEC title game: $540.

WOW!!!

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Regarding adding Arizona and ASU, what is the motivation behind adding them to the Big 12?

Enrollment-wise, Arizona and ASU are large schools. And Arizona is an AAU school, which would add some academic prestige to the conference. However, according to the college fan base estimate that was published several years ago (and granted, this report is getting dated), Arizona and ASU don't have large sports followings...406,000 and 606,000 respectively. For reference, tOSU has 3,167,000, UT has 2,250,000, OU has 1,201,000, and ISU has 535,000.

And this is part of the Pac-12 problem. Despite having the state with the largest population in their geographic footprint, and several large-enrollment schools outside of California, nobody watches their sports network. College sports doesn't seem to carry the priority in the Pac-12 culture that it does in other conferences.

Arizona and ASU aren't going to bring alot of eyeballs to sweeten the Big-12 TV deal. They are going to add another timezone to the conference. They seem to be average or worse in football the past few seasons, and as such don't draw much national attention. Adding two schools would destroy the true round robin arrangement for most sports in the Big 12.

So apart from the inevitable posts of cute coed pictures, what will those two schools add to the Big 12? Is there some faux sense of stability that comes from having 12 teams? In the current college sports atmosphere, stability comes from the conference revenue distribution. If new members aren't improving the payout, then IMO, they aren't adding any kind of stability to the conference.
It's enough for me. Let them in.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
What a series of articles!

Writing like that could bring the conference together or blow it apart.

I do wonder how an investigation of the Big 12 would look. Favorites? Official interference?

Did things get better for ISU after JP blew his stack and complained about calls going against us?

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
What a series of articles!

Writing like that could bring the conference together or blow it apart.

I do wonder how an investigation of the Big 12 would look. Favorites? Official interference?

Did things get better for ISU after JP blew his stack and complained about calls going against us?

If you look at the percentage of reviews that go for us versus against us, I would say that things did not and are not going better.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
If you look at the percentage of reviews that go for us versus against us, I would say that things did not and are not going better.

I dunno. What really bad calls went against us this football season? I really feel like those demons were exorcised in the Liberty Bowl when we overcame Montgomery's non-fumble. Campbell refuses to play the victim and that mentality seems to have been adopted by the program to the point where even the officials take us seriously now.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Help Support Us

Become a patron