More Pac-12 Turmoil

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No one cares, but I'm bored, so here's my solution. The current power 5 schools plus Notre Dame and BYU all join into one Division. There would be a media rights and grant of right agreements that lock all schools into together and uniformly. The money would be huge.

Keep the 12 game schedule, go to a 8 team playoff, but all schools are independents. Each university must design it's own schedule. If you want an easy schedule, go for it, but just know that you'll have no chance to make the playoff. This would encourage tough schedules and regional ties.

If you have to have schools grouped into conferences/divisions, do it like this.

Pacific (8 schools)
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC

Plains (9 schools)
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa State

Southwest (8 schools)
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas Tech
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Baylor
Arkansas

Southeast (10 schools)
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Vandy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky

Atlantic (10 Schools)
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia

Northeast (9 schools)
Louisville
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
West Virginia
Rutgers
Maryland
Virginia Tech

Midwest (10 Schools)
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State

I like the divisions idea as opposed to conferences, but I think each group should have a certain amount of interplay within their division, as the wild west scheduling scenario sounds like a mess that would result in a serious lack of schedule balance across the breadth of college football.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I would take AZ, AZ St, CO, and UT. Either go with 14, or "entice" WVU and Baylor to move elsewhere.
While I still hold a grudge for the former Big 8 schools that left, I still would like to have them back all in the same conference to get those old rivalries back and history.

Colorado was the only former Big 12 school which wasn't a **** when they left. For that alone, I'd accept them back with open arms.

I wonder if CU was the unnamed school that Bill Snyder said that there are many regretting leaving and there is some interest in returning.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
No No No. I absolutely want no part of the Pac12. I don't want to watch ISU at Arizona starting at 9pm central. Some of the Pac12's problem is lack of exposure because the east coast media doesn't stay up to watch it.

While I would enjoy booting WVU, going west makes no sense.

We'd probably play one Pacific Time Zone game per year (most likely alternating AZ/ASU). The Big 12 could have games on TV all day: 11AM, 2:30, 6 or 7, and 9. I don't think it would be that bad.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Minority? I think you would find almost universal agreement from most B12 fanbases supporting a CU for BU trade.
I’ve seen lots of people make comments like “They left, screw them, we shouldn’t take back schools that left us”. Especially referring to Nebraska and Missouri

Reactions: MrApathy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree, and they’d have no problem dumping the other sports in what’s left of the PAC-12 or whatever conference remains in the west.

But that leaves the PAC-12 football at 9 and without its biggest football draw. Besides the fact they have no where else to go geographically speaking, that conference is dead. Colorado would be wise to get on their knees.

Boise State for the tenth? SDSU maybe?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Two things of note:
1. Why no mention of Big-12?
2. Those of you who've read some of my posts in the past, know I know someone very well in the Pac-12 office. Let's just say, Larry Scott has plenty of people near him who, from the start, have disagreed with his policies.

I think they don't mention them on purpose. Because if they did, the Pac-12 would be dead last in a lot of those numbers.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
We'd probably play one Pacific Time Zone game per year (most likely alternating AZ/ASU). The Big 12 could have games on TV all day: 11AM, 2:30, 6 or 7, and 9. I don't think it would be that bad.

But Arizona's not in the Pacific time zone...they're always on Mountain Standard Time. If you played them after the DST switch, it'd only be an hour difference.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I’ve seen lots of people make comments like “They left, screw them, we shouldn’t take back schools that left us”. Especially referring to Nebraska and Missouri

The bugeaters and Mizzou can suck it. I don't have much angst towards CU. They never really fit in the Big12 and match up much better with the Pac12

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I understand the need for designing the perfect conference, but let's for argument's sake, play 'power' chess here. The B1G and the SEC are the most 'powerful' conferences. In any country-wide reorganization a 'power' game is going to play out. I would believe the B1G has the most clout in that arena with the largest viewing audience. Every conference would benefit by multiple timezones. So poaching to widen your timezones would, likely, be the first play. Unless, the NCAA can somehow regain footing ... though unlikely, but not completely out of the possibility. If that were the case, then a country wide power move might be the most prudent, but would face ego opposition.
This is like recruiting.
All it takes is a couple certain schools to see an opportunity to transfer to for a better chance of being “the guy” and the power dynamics change.

How much more would USC and UCLA make in a Big 12 with the Arizona schools?

The BIG can have the Bay area and Pacific NW.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
But Arizona's not in the Pacific time zone...they're always on Mountain Standard Time. If you played them after the DST switch, it'd only be an hour difference.

Technically we are on Arizona time. Half they year we are Pacific, half the year Mountain. Currently we are on Mountain.

Roughly April - late October is Pacific, and Late October to April is Mountain.
There is always one basketball or football game around the time change that I start 1 hour late. This year it was Missouri.

Reactions: Doc

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I like adding AU, ASU, CU and kicking Rape U to the curb to officially be Big 12!! If WVU left and we kick rape U to the curb, add the three mentioned and IMO add Cincinnati.

• Dislike
Reactions: CTTB78 and 2speedy1

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I like adding AU, ASU, CU and kicking Rape U to the curb to officially be Big 12!! If WVU left and we kick rape U to the curb, add the three mentioned and IMO add Cincinnati.

At that point, definitely try to add Utah instead of Cincy.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Technically we are on Arizona time. Half they year we are Pacific, half the year Mountain. Currently we are on Mountain.

Roughly April - late October is Pacific, and Late October to April is Mountain.
There is always one basketball or football game around the time change that I start 1 hour late. This year it was Missouri.

Techically, you are always on Mountain Standard TIme ;). You stay on Mountain Time when everybody else shifts forward for Daylight Savings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron