More Pac-12 Turmoil

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Classic explanation: We need to pay the commissioner a lot of money, otherwise we'll lose the competitiveness when hiring people.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
It needs more than that. Major conferences should be reset into 8 major conferences, and give the conference champions automatic bids to a 16 team playoff, with 8 at large (or preferably for me, automatic byes, with a 24 team playoff and 16 at large). No conference championship games. Maybe even 11 game schedules if that counters the too many games argument.

As it stands, we have the playoff games that matter involving 4 teams, and then a whole bunch of glorified exhibition games that don't matter a bit.

Completely agree. The messed up conferences have allowed for a messed up post-season.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Simple things like road trips would become a lot tougher. Opposing teams (football) always have to drive a semi to all the away games for equipment, that’d be tougher. Arizona/ASU flying 4-5 hours (I’m guessing, no idea) the night before a game wouldn’t be particularly fun. I’m not saying these are huge issues worth scrapping it, just saying the geography would make things tough for some people

How long is the flight from tuscon to Seattle?

Edit: this flight is 3h 20m

***flight from Tuscon to Charleston WV is 5h 30m

HOWEVER. At that point you aren’t even making that trip every other year with 12 in the conference.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
No No No. I absolutely want no part of the Pac12. I don't want to watch ISU at Arizona starting at 9pm central. Some of the Pac12's problem is lack of exposure because the east coast media doesn't stay up to watch it.

While I would enjoy booting WVU, going west makes no sense.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
How long is the flight from tuscon to Seattle?

Edit: this flight is 3h 20m

***flight from Tuscon to Charleston WV is 5h 30m

HOWEVER. At that point you aren’t even making that trip every other year with 12 in the conference.

That's the reason we changed our uniforms - making room for USC.
If the two Arizona schools leave the PAC-12 for the Big 12, a whole lot of movement other could follow. Would the PAC-12 be able to close ranks and backfill with BYU, or would USC say **** it and leave too?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If the two Arizona schools leave the PAC-12 for the Big 12, a whole lot of movement other could follow. Would the PAC-12 be able to close ranks and backfill with BYU, or would USC say **** it and leave too?

I think USC could be a successful independent.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I think USC could be a successful independent.
Agree, and they’d have no problem dumping the other sports in what’s left of the PAC-12 or whatever conference remains in the west.

But that leaves the PAC-12 football at 9 and without its biggest football draw. Besides the fact they have no where else to go geographically speaking, that conference is dead. Colorado would be wise to get on their knees.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I would take AZ, AZ St, CO, and UT. Either go with 14, or "entice" WVU and Baylor to move elsewhere.
While I still hold a grudge for the former Big 8 schools that left, I still would like to have them back all in the same conference to get those old rivalries back and history.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Cy$

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
No one cares, but I'm bored, so here's my solution. The current power 5 schools plus Notre Dame and BYU all join into one Division. There would be a media rights and grant of right agreements that lock all schools into together and uniformly. The money would be huge.

Keep the 12 game schedule, go to a 8 team playoff, but all schools are independents. Each university must design it's own schedule. If you want an easy schedule, go for it, but just know that you'll have no chance to make the playoff. This would encourage tough schedules and regional ties.

If you have to have schools grouped into conferences/divisions, do it like this.

Pacific (8 schools)
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
Cal
UCLA
USC

Plains (9 schools)
Utah
Colorado
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Missouri
Iowa State

Southwest (8 schools)
Arizona
Arizona State
Texas Tech
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Baylor
Arkansas

Southeast (10 schools)
LSU
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Vandy
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky

Atlantic (10 Schools)
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
South Carolina
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Wake Forest
NC State
Virginia

Northeast (9 schools)
Louisville
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
Boston College
West Virginia
Rutgers
Maryland
Virginia Tech

Midwest (10 Schools)
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Great article. Wish the author had put in a little extra work and got the Big 12 and ACC numbers included. Comparing only to the SEC and B1G makes the Pac12 look worse.

No one can really defend Scott, particularly after some of these facts come out, but a big problem that the Pac12 has is that its flagship programs of USC and UCLA are sucking it up in football.

We hate to admit it, but the Big 12 has more prestige when UT is a national factor. Until USC and UCLA right the ship, the Pac12 will suffer. And that is not on Scott.
I believe you missed a key point in the article. 'Money' to the universities IS a key point to USC and UCLA righting their ship.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I understand the need for designing the perfect conference, but let's for argument's sake, play 'power' chess here. The B1G and the SEC are the most 'powerful' conferences. In any country-wide reorganization a 'power' game is going to play out. I would believe the B1G has the most clout in that arena with the largest viewing audience. Every conference would benefit by multiple timezones. So poaching to widen your timezones would, likely, be the first play. Unless, the NCAA can somehow regain footing ... though unlikely, but not completely out of the possibility. If that were the case, then a country wide power move might be the most prudent, but would face ego opposition.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron