Montgomery

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Their run blocking hasn't looked great when I have watched. They are just a bad offensive team all around.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They've passed so ineffectively in some games that I'm not sure they can keep a defense honest enough to do it.

I think this is the primary issue. The offense is stuck in neutral because Trubisky was struggling before he got hurt, and Chase Daniel has been OK but mostly just asked to not turn the ball over. Tough to find room to run when defenders know it's coming.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Their offensive (meant both ways) play calling has been suspect at best. So many times they have a short yardage situation and hand the ball off to a back (or receiver) that simply doesn't have the mass and refusal to go down that David has. They pass in running situations and run in passing situations...a very mixed up game right now.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Bears OL was rated before the season by Pro Football Focus in the top ten units in the league, at #9.

Kreutz is right, there is plenty of blame to go around, but inefficient QB play in the Nagy offense is at the heart of the problem. Trubisky still struggles analyzing the defense pre-snap, and is slow to progress through his route tree in an offense that is about 80% passing. Until he figures it out everything is going to just look like slogging through mud.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I've watch a few Bears games and then watched most of the SF game on Monday night. It's alarming how much better the SF line/offense looks.

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
I'm at work and to lazy to look but how many of his yards come after contact? Bet its high percentage wise.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I wish they'd run him around the end. I don't remember a time in college when he went for negative yardage around the outside (granted, against college players, not pros.)

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
Bears OL was rated before the season by Pro Football Focus in the top ten units in the league, at #9.

Kreutz is right, there is plenty of blame to go around, but inefficient QB play in the Nagy offense is at the heart of the problem. Trubisky still struggles analyzing the defense pre-snap, and is slow to progress through his route tree in an offense that is about 80% passing. Until he figures it out everything is going to just look like slogging through mud.

I don't see the kid figuring it out. The sad fact is, he just isn't that bright. I am just glad we didn't draft Mahomes or something crazy like that.

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't see the kid figuring it out. The sad fact is, he just isn't that bright. I am just glad we didn't draft Mahomes or something crazy like that.

Trubisky has the issue of going for 25 when all that's needed is 6 yards.

People can rip on the check down or dump off all they want. If it's there, take the yardage and fresh set of downs.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Trubisky has the issue of going for 25 when all that's needed is 6 yards.

People can rip on the check down or dump off all they want. If it's there, take the yardage and fresh set of downs.
And the more you take the check down the more the defense is going to cheat toward the LOS opening up the big play.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
This guy does some pretty good film breakdown. It definitely starts with the o-line. Long and Leno have been terrible this year.

The block that chuck Bruce throws on the play that starts at 13:00 is a thing of beauty. He takes out two defensive linemen (who blew up long all game) and leaves long standing there like “damn”

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
And the more you take the check down the more the defense is going to cheat toward the LOS opening up the big play.

Yep. Chicago does the opposite of this.

FWIW I think ISU makes the same mistake.

Lang was out there often last Saturday with plenty of green in front...and I think if he's hit earlier on the play where he got close to the goal line, he'd have practically walked in for a TD.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yep. Chicago does the opposite of this.

FWIW I think ISU makes the same mistake.

Lang was out there often last Saturday with plenty of green in front...and I think if he's hit earlier on the play where he got close to the goal line, he'd have practically walked in for a TD.
ISU runs a lot of plays with multiple receivers at different levels of a part of the field (e.g. right side - short, medium, and long. They are designed to force one of the defenders to make a choice and then the ball goes wherever the defender decided not to go. It is like the passing version of a zone read running play keyed on the defensive end. The pass shouldn't be thrown until the defender commits.