Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Or perhaps problems can arise when people don't realize they are not being as apolitical as they represent themselves to be?
I don’t disagree. This is taking a sledge hammer to an issue that needs a mallet though. Specific posts need action taken on them. Otherwise just say no Covid discussions that aren’t directly related to Iowa State. There are certain long time posters who show total disregard for it. They are breaking the rules but are seemingly unpunished for them.

For someone who wants an apolitical discussion on this topic it’s frustrating because when I do read it I try and keep my particular political views out.

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don’t disagree. This is taking a sledge hammer to an issue that needs a mallet though. Specific posts need action taken on them. Otherwise just say no Covid discussions that aren’t directly related to Iowa State. There are certain long time posters who show total disregard for it. They are breaking the rules but are seemingly unpunished for them.

For someone who wants an apolitical discussion on this topic it’s frustrating because when I do read it I try and keep my particular political views out.
So, in order to save yourself from following a thread into the cave, you are insisting that the moderators cull out the "bad" posts on each individual thread? What if the interpretation of what constitutes "bad" differs from yours?

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale

She's already said, multiple times, that they don't have time for this. For crying out loud, this site is free. Your sledgehammer comparison is like calling a mallet a sledgehammer.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So, in order to save yourself from following a thread into the cave, you are insisting that the moderators cull out the "bad" posts on each individual thread? What if the interpretation of what constitutes "bad" differs from yours?
If we disagree on exactly what is political fine. The problem is certain people are allowed to deliberately derail it with no real repercussions as far as people are concerned. I say all of this as someone who is on the same side of the political aisle as you and Angie. I’m done responding now as I’ve voiced my displeasure with her moderating.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Actually no we would not. Some people are just ********. Here let me take a photo of my neighbor’s yard across the street for a huge example of this.
View attachment 75757
This guy doesn’t get along with his next-door neighbor, has falsely accused him of selling drugs. He hates immigrants and is aggressive towards the Hispanic and Italian-descent residents nearby. A couple weeks ago, he apparently lost his mind and rented this sign, which illuminates the entire neighborhood at night. And it’s right across the street from my house. I took this photo from my front lawn. Luckily I have a tree perfectly positioned to keep it out of my direct view from my bedroom window. It’s still rather bright.

My biggest annoyance is a sign like this demands the sale of corndogs and funnel cakes to come along with it. Hey, Dave, where are my goddamn funnel cakes?!
This guy is ******** about others lowering neighborhood property values with that **** sign in his front yard? Pot, meet Kettle.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad
L

LincolnWay187

I would say put a bullet in the cave. There are plenty of other sources to have political "conversations" online. Especially when posts can't be civil nor well moderated. I am way more interested in ISU and sports than politics so I have opted out. Much like the real world, you can't be middle of the road politically or go between parties on issues without people hating you.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This thread is a good example of my least favorite thing about the Cave. The general culture of antagonism and name-calling there and/or individual vendettas spills out from the Cave to the general and the sports boards. It just makes this place much more combative.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I would say put a bullet in the cave. There are plenty of other sources to have political "conversations" online. Especially when posts can't be civil nor well moderated. I am way more interested in ISU and sports than politics so I have opted out. Much like the real world, you can't be middle of the road politically or go between parties on issues without people hating you.
If you're not in it, why the push to "put a bullet in it"? Live & let live.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm personally tired of all of the new posts about "Cheap, High Quality Jerseys". I wish the mods would do their paid jobs and police these types of posts more often.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This thread is a good example of my least favorite thing about the Cave. The general culture of antagonism and name-calling there and/or individual vendettas spills out from the Cave to the general and the sports boards. It just makes this place much more combative.

The ease at which people call other posters racists is alarming.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
If we disagree on exactly what is political fine. The problem is certain people are allowed to deliberately derail it with no real repercussions as far as people are concerned. I say all of this as someone who is on the same side of the political aisle as you and Angie. I’m done responding now as I’ve voiced my displeasure with her moderating.
When opinion and unsubstantiated "truths" are presented as "non-political" and "factual", I am more likely to dive in with rebuttal. There was a Covid thread like that early on. It became a haven for misinformation and rumor and innuendo. I stayed out of it, because there was no way I could participate without calling out some of the bogus "facts" being presented.

If you (generic "you") are going to post a thread like that, it's disingenuous to whine when others refuse to let you continue with your disinformation campaign. Better to move it to the cave, because, AS PRESENTED, it is specifically political in nature.

Time-saver for the mods. One that I applaud.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron