Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm glad you laughed, it was meant to be laughed at. Glad you agree.

Nobody said that you couldn't speak about COVID. Nobody said you couldn't do it outside the Cave. The issue comes when people can't control themselves from turning it political and making jabs. We've given ad nauseum warnings and closed several threads. I let a second iteration of a closed thread continue (which IS directly against site rules) until it became abundantly clear to everyone in it why we closed the first one. It was open for several pages of obviously political posts before I moved it, so please let's not all act like this was a totalitarian move.

The rule is pretty simple - if you have something to post that is political or politically slanted, post it in the Cave. If it's not, you can post it in the rest of the forums. You also don't get to control what happens in your thread - this is the internet in 2020. Just because you label something as "positive" or "realistic" or whatever moniker you want to use does not mean that anyone is obliged to keep it that way. If you are in question on if it's political or not, probably err on the side of caution and put it in the Cave. (So, I guess, the rule is "common sense?")
So basically you are abdicating your role to mod. This post is extremely contradictory. So we can post apolitical stuff about Covid but you are just going to close threads and not ban the people who turn them political?

For example if I create a thread titled apolitical Covid news and people turn it political then you are blaming the people trying to keep it apolitical instead of the actual people turning it political.

I know I hide the cave because I don’t want to see the partisan fighting. That said I do think discussing the biggest topic in our society right now is important to stay relatively up to date on.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So basically you are abdicating your role to mod. This post is extremely contradictory. So we can post apolitical stuff about Covid but you are just going to close threads and not ban the people who turn them political?

For example if I create a thread titled apolitical Covid news and people turn it political then you are blaming the people trying to keep it apolitical instead of the actual people turning it political.

I know I hide the cave because I don’t want to see the partisan fighting. That said I do think discussing the biggest topic in our society right now is important to stay relatively up to date on.

Who had any negative actions against them in the past two threads? Moving a thread into the Cave is not a punishment; it is a realignment based off of content that helps keep the rest of the board from seeing information that they don't want to see. That's great that you have the Cave hidden; so too do other people. But just because someone (you or anyone else) doesn't want to see the rest of politics but DOES want to talk about one political topic doesn't mean that they can drag it into other threads.

I didn't "punish" or ban anyone, particularly not the people keeping it apolitical - but, despite poor @madguy30's original intent, neither of the last two threads were apolitical. Some people were just slightly better about hiding it than others.

To use a really bad analogy, but all I can think of offhand. If pizza is only supposed to be eaten in the kitchen, and I walk into my oldest child's bedroom and she is hiding in the closet eating it hoping I don't notice, and then walk into my younger child's bedroom and he's eating it on his bed and flinging it on the walls, neither of them are following the rule to only eat pizza in the kitchen. I'm not going to let the child who hid it better get away with it. In this instance, we just put all of the pizza where it rightfully belongs so it doesn't make a mess everywhere else - they both were disregarding the rules.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Who had any negative actions against them in the past two threads? Moving a thread into the Cave is not a punishment; it is a realignment based off of content that helps keep the rest of the board from seeing information that they don't want to see. That's great that you have the Cave hidden; so too do other people. But just because someone (you or anyone else) doesn't want to see the rest of politics but DOES want to talk about one political topic doesn't mean that they can drag it into other threads.

I didn't "punish" or ban anyone, particularly not the people keeping it apolitical - but, despite poor @madguy30's original intent, neither of the last two threads were apolitical. Some people were just slightly better about hiding it than others.

To use a really bad analogy, but all I can think of offhand. If pizza is only supposed to be eaten in the kitchen, and I walk into my oldest child's bedroom and she is hiding in the closet eating it hoping I don't notice, and then walk into my younger child's bedroom and he's eating it on his bed and flinging it on the walls, neither of them are following the rule to only eat pizza in the kitchen. I'm not going to let the child who hid it better get away with it. In this instance, we just put all of the pizza where it rightfully belongs so it doesn't make a mess everywhere else - they both were disregarding the rules.
But where the **** is janny eating the pizza?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

For clarity, and I don't think it is, is this mockery and saying I had intent or how it led to that eventually?

The first post I put in the O.G. was an article about T-Cell immunity and wonderings if it pertained to my own covid infection. I'd say that's apolitical.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Casey’s or Sauce and Dough?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

How often do you have to repaint your walls? :p

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I mean, is it actually being pretentious if you are better than other people?
o34VxH.gif

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I think your problem is you see any Covid discussion as political when it isn’t. To improve your analogy it would be if you weren’t allowed to eat deep dish pizza outside the kitchen but you could eat regular pizza. You’d two kids are both eating pizza in their rooms but one is eating deep dish and the other is eating regular pizza. Your basically punishing both even though the one wasn’t breaking the rules.

So based on your post I’m interpreting the rule as any non Iowa State focused Covid discussion goes to the cave because people are purposefully trying to break the rules by posting politics into them when they aren’t in the cave.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
For clarity, and I don't think it is, is this mockery and saying I had intent or how it led to that eventually?

The first post I put in the O.G. was an article about T-Cell immunity and wonderings if it pertained to my own covid infection. I'd say that's apolitical.

It was not mocking at all. It was meaning - I felt bad that your well-intended thread went awry.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneLawman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron