Mods could do a better job with threads/posters

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think your problem is you see any Covid discussion as political when it isn’t. To improve your analogy it would be if you weren’t allowed to eat deep dish pizza outside the kitchen but you could eat regular pizza. You’d two kids are both eating pizza in their rooms but one is eating deep dish and the other is eating regular pizza. Your basically punishing both even though the one wasn’t breaking the rules.

So based on your post I’m interpreting the rule as any non Iowa State focused Covid discussion goes to the cave because people are purposefully trying to break the rules by posting politics into them when they aren’t in the cave.
That would be one interpretation...

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think your problem is you see any Covid discussion as political when it isn’t. To improve your analogy it would be if you weren’t allowed to eat deep dish pizza outside the kitchen but you could eat regular pizza. You’d two kids are both eating pizza in their rooms but one is eating deep dish and the other is eating regular pizza. Your basically punishing both even though the one wasn’t breaking the rules.

So based on your post I’m interpreting the rule as any non Iowa State focused Covid discussion goes to the cave because people are purposefully trying to break the rules by posting politics into them when they aren’t in the cave.

I don't see that you have a "rest of the analogy," so I am not following. If they're still eating pizza in their rooms, per your analogy, then nobody is being punished. And even if I said, "Hey, eat it in the kitchen," it still isn't a punishment. It's just moving things based off of common sense to keep the house clean. Moving a thread to avoid conflict is not a punishment, nor is closing a thread. We don't put a black mark on your permanent record or anything. We warn or provide temporary/permanent bans if needed in those instances.

Just because you don't see something as political doesn't mean that it isn't reported to us 500 times for being political. And you can misinterpret what I said however you want, but it doesn't change my original intent. If you want to start an Off-Topic thread that is entirely made up of documented and verified scientific studies regardless of what side of the fence they're on politically, go for it. Once people start posting links to opinion articles on the NYT or Fox News, they're jumping into political territory. And that's when we're going to move it to the Cave.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
fumbling attempts at manipulation I've ever seen.

The other side brought it off the rails in an attempt to get it sent to the cave, which was also transparent, fumbling manipulation. And we have now allowed purposeful sabotage like that before, even if the premise is faulty originally.

It's like saying the word "shank" to a golfer...

• Haha
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm still trying to do the word problem with kids inside and outside and I have no friggin' CLUE what time the train will get to chicago and I'm having elementary school flashbacks.....

I was trying to think of a good real-life analogy - it is not always my strong suit!

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My Dr told me to lay cut back on eggs for a few months. I said “uh oh.. is my cholesterol level bad” He said “No, your wet farts are killing me!”

Stolen from Larry the Cable Guy

Guy went to the doctor and said "doc - something is weird! I fart a lot but they make no sound and have no smell".

Doc gave him a decongestant...

Reactions: kcbob79clone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I don't see that you have a "rest of the analogy," so I am not following. If they're still eating pizza in their rooms, per your analogy, then nobody is being punished. And even if I said, "Hey, eat it in the kitchen," it still isn't a punishment. It's just moving things based off of common sense to keep the house clean. Moving a thread to avoid conflict is not a punishment, nor is closing a thread. We don't put a black mark on your permanent record or anything. We warn or provide temporary/permanent bans if needed in those instances.

Just because you don't see something as political doesn't mean that it isn't reported to us 500 times for being political. And you can misinterpret what I said however you want, but it doesn't change my original intent. If you want to start an Off-Topic thread that is entirely made up of documented and verified scientific studies regardless of what side of the fence they're on politically, go for it. Once people start posting links to opinion articles on the NYT or Fox News, they're jumping into political territory. And that's when we're going to move it to the Cave.
In the rest of the analogy you are making both go to the kitchen to eat therefore you are making someone who didn’t do anything wrong according to your rule change their location.

The punishment should be for people purposefully derailing it to the cave. The problem isn’t the thread the problem is people who can’t keep it apolitical.

Reactions: kcbob79clone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
In the rest of the analogy you are making both go to the kitchen to eat therefore you are making someone who didn’t do anything wrong according to your rule change their location.

The punishment should be for people purposefully derailing it to the cave. The problem isn’t the thread the problem is people who can’t keep it apolitical.
Or perhaps problems can arise when people don't realize they are not being as apolitical as they represent themselves to be?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I do not think anything on this site changed my general bent or set of opinions politically, but I think it did teach me quite a bit about the "mass psychology" of politics, especially in late 2010s and 2020s America.

It's made me WAY more skeptical of any set of "facts" and information sources. It's taught me that being ill-informed is far worse than being un-informed.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I know I hide the cave because I don’t want to see the partisan fighting. That said I do think discussing the biggest topic in our society right now is important to stay relatively up to date on.

Love me the CF but looking to become better informed on 'rona HERE is like understanding world events by following the uninteresting Kardashian daughter on the twitter....

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

We're not going to actually punish (i.e. ban) people for posting in a thread in a way that seems cogent, when posting politics in the general forums by itself isn't usually a bannable offense (unless it's malicious and habitual). We're also not going to sit and morally debate each and every post to see if it tips a magical scale into political territory; simply put, we don't have the time. If the overall thread is becoming political, whether it is about COVID or anything else, we move it to the Cave. It's not a punishment - it's just a move to allow those who want to discuss it in that way the freedom to continue doing so.

And to reiterate, there was almost nobody eating regular crust pizza in those threads (save madguy's original post, which was well-intended).