Missed goaltending call

CYDJ

Jan 12, 2013
Makes sense that charges that the announcers thought were good calls, did not directly lead to points, did not create foul trouble would be the worst thing he can bring up. It’s the same thing every time. Tuco is typical KU fan. Thinks he knows the game but then he opens his mouth and proves he doesn’t know Jack **** about basketball. I can hear those morons in the Phog now, “but he wasn’t even set!” Loved the offensive rebounding foul on Lightfoot where he’s humping Conditt’s back and their fans are booing.

Now, come on Tuco knows everything a Kansas fan needs to know about basketball. Kansas is supposed to win, a biased official is always right and anything that keeps them from winning is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
It seems wrong that goaltending like that is not reviwable. It should be.

My problem is that was a blatant goaltend, any ref should have easily been able to make that call on the floor. Should not have needed to be reviewed to come away with the right call.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It seems wrong that goaltending like that is not reviwable. It should be.

My problem is that was a blatant goaltend, any ref should have easily been able to make that call on the floor. Should not have needed to be reviewed to come away with the right call.

I mean even if it hadn’t hit the backboard it was already on its way down so they actually missed it twice. Just the same old ****. Can’t wait to get out of this conference.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
As you all know, I'm a ref apologist. That no-call absolutely cost ISU the game. Inexcusable. I used to train new officials and I texted a bunch of my former pupils last night and reminded them you can piss away a game with one bad call at the end. You must be on high alert until the end.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Can I get a clarification on goaltending?

CBB used to be you could trap and block off the glass as long as it's not coming down. Correct?

Is it now goaltending off the glass immediately?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

CBB used to be you could trap and block off the glass as long as it's not coming down. Correct?

c When the ball contacts the backboard and any part of the ball is above
the rim during a field goal attempt, it is considered to be on its downward
flight In such a case, it is goaltending when the ball is touched by a player
as long as it has a possibility of entering the basket

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Once it hits the glass it is by definition in the rule considered to be coming down. Any block on a ball that is coming down is a defensive goal tend.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
It’s crazy that Kansas fan runs to other team’s boards to defend all of the ridiculousness that has happened there over the years.

there must be some sort of a bat signal that goes off when they’re the beneficiaries of bad officiating, so they have to show up to pretend that an obvious missed goal tend call had no impact on a one point game.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
That non call was pretty unbelievable. It was so obvious in real time at full speed on horrible ESPN+ quality, even. It's not even a judgement call.

That one was so bad that that crew has to be reprimanded somehow.

And the fact that they aren't even sending announcers to big time top 15 BigXII games and shoving them off to ESPN+ and ESPNU is just . . . man this **** is maddening.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Once it hits the glass it is by definition in the rule considered to be coming down. Any block on a ball that is coming down is a defensive goal tend.
Am I getting old that it used to be legal in college, but was always that way in NBA?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Am I getting old that it used to be legal in college, but was always that way in NBA?
I know they changed it several years ago. To be honest between the differences in NBA and college I can't definitively remember what was legal in college. I know that the trap against the glass was legal somewhere at one time but I can't remember for sure.

Reactions: davegilbertson

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
You guys are beating yourselves up about this. This is essentially the standard when playing at KU. Mark it in your ledgers and move on.

• Agree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not 2013 phantom call Withey mad but this will go down in 'only ISU' lore.

The thing with that game was KU choked and bricked an easy floater to lose the game. Then they called a foul on Niang…because a KU player was laying completely on top of him???!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The thing with that game was KU choked and bricked an easy floater to lose the game. Then they called a foul on Niang…because a KU player was laying completely on top of him???!
You forgot that the guy totally steamrolled Niang in getting to the basket before that floater. It should have been (was) a charge - ISU ball. But that didn't get called either.

But @Stewo is right; ******** about it here isn't going to change any of the questionable calls. Just remember this when you are in Hilton and Self is calling a timeout to quiet the crowd. Make sure you are that much louder coming out of the timeout.

Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
In AFH you are always 8 vs 5... Complete garbage that call is the difference in our 6th quad 1 win

there was a post in a game thread how it would be more enjoyable to start games with a 6-0 KU lead and then have real officiating instead of scripted WWE outcome, it would give teams much more of a chance.

• Haha
Reactions: CyNews and CYDJ

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
there was a post in a game thread how it would be more enjoyable to start games with a 6-0 KU lead and then have real officiating instead of scripted WWE outcome, it would give teams much more of a chance.

TJ just needs to lose his **** over a random tick tack foul in the first minute of the game, get t'ed up and set the tone.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

You can still block and pin against the glass. But you can't touch it off the glass until it's below the rim.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011

Most people forget that prior to this play the KU 7ft center Jeff Withey committed an obvious foul. Should have been his fifth foul but Young who was even near the play runs up to the refs holding up his hand and the refs assisted that foul to him! Why the ISU coaches or players did not catch this I will never know.

Then in this play after the miss, Withey is the guy who tip the rebound to the guy on the floor.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer