Minshew Speaks

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Not sure if you guys have seen this but it seems as though at least our QB will be ready to play!

https://247sports.com/college/washi...D8JkXCM6DKvzZBD0zxPt-RWP8Q31ZzGVuuAK51939kcBU

In all seriousness even though some Coug fans have been pissy about not going to a New Year's Day bowl I expect WSU will give ISU its best shot. (at least I hope so, :) )

We get it. Its almost like some of you are giving yourself a buffer in advance of a disappointing loss in San Antonio.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
WSU played the #50 SOS. I get that they feel like they should have been included in the NY6 but when you look at the numbers, it's pretty tough to include them. WSU is a really good football team but the weak Pac12 cost them their bid.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
I've watched a little bit of some of their games, and this guy is pretty impressive. I like the way he plays, and I like his demeanor. Seems like a guy that has some fire and is a positive influence on everyone else around him.

Yeah, he seems like a good player and good guy with a great story (Juco, E Carolina, grad transfer to WSU), and he was smart to grow the mustache - make the trademark brand!!

He'll be great for the bowl game "human interest segments" not unlike Kempt last year. I imagine will get Minshew saga, Leach retrospective/impact, young Purdy, and Montgomery's journey. Maybe a Hakeem Baltimore-Houston-overlooked-now-big if time allows.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hopefully most of the press hype is around Leach saying goofy things and people talking about a mustache.
CMC can focus on his game plan and quietly get the Cyclones prepared to win.

TSKCoug

Dec 3, 2018
We get it. Its almost like some of you are giving yourself a buffer in advance of a disappointing loss in San Antonio.
Very perceptive and pretty accurate. Given the history of WSU football, any Coug alumnus with a memory that goes beyond the current day has to have some check in their enthusiasm. Too many disappointments in the past. The one I remember most keenly was the 2002 Apple Cup against the hated Washington Huskies. The Cougars went into that game at 9-1 and ranked #3 in the country. Their only loss to that point being to Ohio State. Such glory ahead of them......WSU was ahead very late in the game then WSU QB Jason Gesser when out with an injury, with the back up QB in WSU lost 29-26 in 3 OTs. Oh did that hurt to watch. Likely any Coug who posts here can come up with several other instances of seizing defeat out of the jaws of victory, btw its called "Couging it".

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Very perceptive and pretty accurate. Given the history of WSU football, any Coug alumnus with a memory that goes beyond the current day has to have some check in their enthusiasm. Too many disappointments in the past. The one I remember most keenly was the 2002 Apple Cup against the hated Washington Huskies. The Cougars went into that game at 9-1 and ranked #3 in the country. Their only loss to that point being to Ohio State. Such glory ahead of them......WSU was ahead very late in the game then WSU QB Jason Gesser when out with an injury, with the back up QB in WSU lost 29-26 in 3 OTs. Oh did that hurt to watch. Likely any Coug who posts here can come up with several other instances of seizing defeat out of the jaws of victory, btw its called "Couging it".
"Couging it" has a very different meaning here in the Midwest...

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

We've had similar experiences. We joke around here that we all have nut cups for the typical Iowa State shot to the groin. However, I'm just happy to be given the chance to be playing in such a prestigious bowl.

TSKCoug

Dec 3, 2018
We've had similar experiences. We joke around here that we all have nut cups for the typical Iowa State shot to the groin. However, I'm just happy to be given the chance to be playing in such a prestigious bowl.
I think this game will be a good one and hopefully well played, likely will be close. If my own finances allowed I would love to go. From what I can tell Cyclone fans seem to be a decent lot, and the pregame festivities should be a blast. The last bowl game I went to was the 2003 Rose Bowl with my now late father. As it turned out Oklahoma plastered the Cougars so it was disappointing game from that stand point but almost worse was the truly high percentage of ******** amongst the hordes of Sooner fans. As a group one of the rudest, most conceited and arrogant group of fans I have ever encountered. Unless I miss my guess such could not be said of Cyclone fans.

So for all who do go. Enjoy and do your best to take either the victory or the defeat with grace.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
The second article is interesting about ticket sales.

Key quote from that particular article:
The money every Pac-12 team earns from its respective bowl goes to the conference, where it is pooled. All bowl expenses are then deducted from the total and the remaining money is split equally 13 ways, with 12 shares going to each member school and one share going to the Pac-12 office.

Pac-12 office takes a cut of bowl revenue.

Reactions: bozclone

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I think this game will be a good one and hopefully well played, likely will be close. If my own finances allowed I would love to go. From what I can tell Cyclone fans seem to be a decent lot, and the pregame festivities should be a blast. The last bowl game I went to was the 2003 Rose Bowl with my now late father. As it turned out Oklahoma plastered the Cougars so it was disappointing game from that stand point but almost worse was the truly high percentage of ******** amongst the hordes of Sooner fans. As a group one of the rudest, most conceited and arrogant group of fans I have ever encountered. Unless I miss my guess such could not be said of Cyclone fans.

So for all who do go. Enjoy and do your best to take either the victory or the defeat with grace.

I think everyone here would agree that OU fans are ********.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Cougfan99

Dec 2, 2018
WSU played the #50 SOS. I get that they feel like they should have been included in the NY6 but when you look at the numbers, it's pretty tough to include them. WSU is a really good football team but the weak Pac12 cost them their bid.

I will complain about that forever as we play we play conference 9 games and didn't play Rice on Nov 17 like LSU(their Nov pre-rivalry game bye weeks in the SEC are just horse crap), who also played SE Louisiana, La Tech, and Chatanooga, that is just ridiculous in my mind. WSU at least played Eastern Wa who might win the FCS title :)

The ticket thing is just tough. They have sold all the travel packages through the school as of late last night, but man people are going to have to spend 4000 bucks for a family of four just to fly there from Seattle, that is the real killer. So many of my friends just can't do it. I ca't get the days off anyway as we threw for vaca days in my dept like 4 months ago and I get back on 12/27. The last 2 years being the holiday bowl spoiled our fan base as flights are cheep and leave every hour,. plus tons of people just drove. I think like 20 or25 thousand went both times. I have driven from Houston to Seattle moving a car for my cousin she she relocated, I would never do that again.

TSKCoug

Dec 3, 2018
Key quote from that particular article:

Pac-12 office takes a cut of bowl revenue.
From what I read over on https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/ the Cougar Lair freeboard. Most Cougar fans are getting their tickets through sources other than WSU, for the main reason that the WSU Athletic Department has crap endzone seats. I expect if prior experience holds the number of WSU fans travelling to the game should be pretty respectable. May not be in the majority certainly, but there will be no shortage of crimson and gray in San Antonio.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Does Minshew scramble much? After the K-State game, it was painfully obvious that State needs to rush someone periodically to put pressure on the QB. If this guy gets all day to throw, it is going to be a problem.