Metronet vs Mediacom

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
I got off the phone with Mediacom 15 min ago to cancel. Ahh, that was a great feeling!
Someone else had the same question but I'm curious if they tried to convince you to stay (like DirecTV does) or if they were like bye felicia!

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Someone else had the same question but I'm curious if they tried to convince you to stay (like DirecTV does) or if they were like bye felicia!
I believe the lady I talked to offered me something, but I don’t remember what, it wasn’t a hard sell though.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Have had metronet for a week now has been great so far. My Roku in the garage has worked great with metronet, always had a lot of problems with mediacom with the roku in the garage

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I live in Urbandale and MetroNet is installing new fiber optic lines. I have had Mediacom for about 25 years, but tired of spending so much. Does anyone have any experience with MetroNet?
So, if I go with YouTube TV and do not do alot of streaming would I really need 1 gig, since there is only 2 of us? I'm thinking more like 200 or 500. Maybe could even get by with 100. When, we looked up how much speed I had with Mediacom, it is 48.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
This sucks because right now I have Mediacom, and will not get Metronet until mid or late Sept. so I wont be able to record the Iowa State vs Iowa game because Mediacom does not carry channel 5.

Sign up for YTTV or Hulu. You can do trials with both of them. Once you switch it sounds like you'll use one of them (or another OTT) anyway

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
We have had MetroNet 200 mbps service for 10 days. Speed tests are showing 40-75 download speeds. The two of us are able to both stream at the same time with no problems.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
So, if I go with YouTube TV and do not do alot of streaming would I really need 1 gig, since there is only 2 of us? I'm thinking more like 200 or 500. Maybe could even get by with 100. When, we looked up how much speed I had with Mediacom, it is 48.
I don’t think you’d need 1 gig for just the two of you and not much streaming. 200 would probably be plenty still and even 500 could be overkill. I’ve heard with fiber that it can be more consistent and you’ll actually get closer to the advertised speed, so 200 Mbps service on fiber is much better than the same on cable because you’re not getting 200 all the time with that. I just recently moved back to ames and had metronet installed and the 200 has been great for me and the gf and we stream all of our tv with no issues.

Also, when I do speed tests, we’re always getting 200—that was not the case with my cable internet at my last place.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have YTTV as well as 3 cameras that run 24/7 and my usage is about 1.5gb per month.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Finally got the notice today I can schedule my install in Grimes. Sept 1 install scheduled. For those who have already got service how do they install their service and equipment? I have a finished basement but already have both coax and phone lines run into the house so are they able to fish the lines along the existing ones or are they going to have to punch a new hole in somewhere to install it?

Reactions: cyfreddy

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Finally got the notice today I can schedule my install in Grimes. Sept 1 install scheduled. For those who have already got service how do they install their service and equipment? I have a finished basement but already have both coax and phone lines run into the house so are they able to fish the lines along the existing ones or are they going to have to punch a new hole in somewhere to install it?
Please keep me and others posted how this turns out.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Well, they are tearing up our yard and putting the lines in today, I talked to my neighbors and he said "they told him it would be 2 to 3 months before we have our hookup. So, I guess I'm stuck with Mediacom for awhile longer!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was supposed to get our installed yesterday but had to reschedule till later this month as 2 of the 4 in our house tested positive for Covid. Saw them across the street installing at a neighbors house. I'm curious to see how they will come into the house with a mostly finished basement. All my coax and existing telephone is behind drywall and only 2 non finished spots in the basement are storage areas

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
I was supposed to get our installed yesterday but had to reschedule till later this month as 2 of the 4 in our house tested positive for Covid. Saw them across the street installing at a neighbors house. I'm curious to see how they will come into the house with a mostly finished basement. All my coax and existing telephone is behind drywall and only 2 non finished spots in the basement are storage areas
Sounds like our house. Isn't most of the internet going to be wireless. Are you doing the tv package? I'm thinking of going to YouTube Tv.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I was impressed at their installer in terms of working with me on where I wanted it to come into the house and such. There was another company's equipment and they were able to run their fiber in the same spot to avoid drilling new holes, etc.

As others have said, I've been impressed as I've had zero interruptions of service, speeds as advertised, and paired with a mesh network coverage all over house/yard/garage.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Sounds like our house. Isn't most of the internet going to be wireless. Are you doing the tv package? I'm thinking of going to YouTube Tv.

Right now I am only doing 500 MB internet with home phone. Reason I maintain a land line is I want my young kids to have access to a phone if there was an emergency where my wife or I would not be able to dial 911. Plus it's nice to use that number to avoid spam calls. If the service is stable I may get their fiber TV service next. We have Dish TV and have a ton of stuff saved on our DVR so I keep convincing myself that even for paying what we do for Dish losing all the content we have saved still has some value.

I switched from Mediacom to CenturyLink in 2004 and have had their service in 2 houses now and they've been very stable and great customer service when I have had to call them about something so I'm rolling the dice because Metronet's speed and pricing is better than what I can get with them. I do IT support for a large company and the work from home situation has only magnified just how crappy service Mediacom has because most of the connectivity issues our VPN users have it's almost always Mediacom as their ISP. MiFiber is a solid ISP if you can get their service. They have a very limited service area right now but those who have them as their ISP seem to get some really good service.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I was impressed at their installer in terms of working with me on where I wanted it to come into the house and such. There was another company's equipment and they were able to run their fiber in the same spot to avoid drilling new holes, etc.

As others have said, I've been impressed as I've had zero interruptions of service, speeds as advertised, and paired with a mesh network coverage all over house/yard/garage.

I've heard the speeds and service are good. I did not sign up for the whole house wifi because I already have a Google Mesh Wi-Fi installed in our house so I am not going to pay for that when I already have the hardware in place. I don't work from home but when I do I have a desktop that has to be plugged into ethernet so worse case I just have to run a longer ethernet cable from my basement mesh point. I'm hoping that maybe they can fish their line along one of the existing lines that goes into my basement or worst case be able to come into the unfinished area and get close enough I can run some wire to where I have everything setup right now.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I switched from Mediacom to Metronet last week. My download/upload speeds are testing substantially higher, but I'm not noticing any difference. There was an outage 2 days after I got the service which infuriated me, but looks like that truly may have been a stroke of bad luck.

All in all, I'd go with whichever is cheapest. Metronet's technology fee is annoying, but it does include a good router and is probably still cheaper than most Mediacom packages. They're both typical cable and internet providers and will nickel and dime you whenever possible.
In case anybody was curious, Metronet has been great ever since the outage, which looks to have been an isolated incident. The technology fee still annoys me, but it includes a good router (I received an Eero mesh router but I think it can vary). Still can't say it's any better than Mediacom for me, but if you're a power user it's definitely worth the switch.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I've heard the speeds and service are good. I did not sign up for the whole house wifi because I already have a Google Mesh Wi-Fi installed in our house so I am not going to pay for that when I already have the hardware in place. I don't work from home but when I do I have a desktop that has to be plugged into ethernet so worse case I just have to run a longer ethernet cable from my basement mesh point. I'm hoping that maybe they can fish their line along one of the existing lines that goes into my basement or worst case be able to come into the unfinished area and get close enough I can run some wire to where I have everything setup right now.
I should have clarified I too have my own Google mesh.....love it.

Reactions: CYdTracked

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron