Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's a really weak study (https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6947e2.htm?s_cid=mm6947e2_w). Basically their data are:
  1. The mask-mandate counties had 3 cases per 100k the week of June 1-7.
  2. The non-mask-mandate counties had 4 cases per 100k the week of June 1-7.
  3. The mask-mandate counties had 17 cases per 100k the week of July 3-9. (beginning week of mask-mandate)
  4. The non-mask-mandate counties had 6 cases per 100k the week of July 3-9. (beginning week of mask-mandate)
  5. The mask-mandate counties had 16 cases per 100k the week of August 17-23.
  6. The non-mask mandate counties had 12 cases per 100k the week of August 17-23.
The "mask mandates worked" argument is that there was a decrease of 17 to 16 vs an increase of 6 to 12. There seems to be no exploration of the (obvious) questions of "is this just regression to the mean?" and "did the non-mask-mandate counties just see a later start to a July/August spike (that was larger in the mask-mandate counties)".

All I need to know about if masks work is friends and family in Taiwan and South Korea over the past 20 years (places far more densely populated than the vast majority of the USA).

They work to slow the spread of viral outbreaks.

End of story.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This is only a small part of the substitute shortage.

Our small district has had 8 teachers out with Covid. So 8 teachers out two weeks, but still not the biggest problem.

Public health is telling teachers that they can teach in a mask and shield if in “quarantine” due to contact, but they cannot go anywhere else, so quarantined teachers do not contribute to the sub problem.

Our district relies primarily on substitutes who are retired teachers and they do not want to sub as they fall in at risk categories.

Beyond subs for teachers with Covid, you still need them for all the other reasons you need subs. My 62 year hypertensive SIL subbing for weeks for a teacher who had a baby.

You still need subs when a teacher is out for surgery or other medical reasons. One of the high school teachers is out a few days with ACL surgery.

At least here, the supply of subs is the biggest part of the problem since the vast majority of them are older and at risk.
Our district makes positive teachers stay home, there have been several that say they have had it but didn’t test. A few did antigen tests later to check, and yep, they had it. The main wave of Covid that hit our school came from the oldest elementary teacher who drug it in. They good up until then. We have 3-4 non retired teacher subs and a few who took that sub licensing thing the state had

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
  • Informative
Reactions: kcbob79clone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Care to explain?

MAYO is THE group you'd expect to be aggressively masked, distanced, washed and sanitized (totally not saying they weren't!). But makes you wonder how they were all infected and if they were all following protocols. And if they were all diligent with the protocols, WHY did they all get sick?

I'm not looking for an argument, debate or even a counter-point... Just an observation.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Mid-west states all leveling off & starting to trend down within days of each other.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Our district makes positive teachers stay home, there have been several that say they have had it but didn’t test. A few did antigen tests later to check, and yep, they had it. The main wave of Covid that hit our school came from the oldest elementary teacher who drug it in. They good up until then. We have 3-4 non retired teacher subs and a few who took that sub licensing thing the state had

We make those who test positive stay home, but not ones who are contact traced and told to quarantine. Public health tells those that they can teach school in a mask and shield all day in a room with a bunch of kids but can’t go anywhere else like running into the post office for a minute.
They also tell them not to test unless they are sick so no telling if they had it. I guess it’s a good way to coax people into giving blood but doesn’t seem great from a public health perspective.

I doubt our teachers have reached the impressive 81% infection rate of the inmates at Anamosa but probably will never know.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
MAYO is THE group you'd expect to be aggressively masked, distanced, washed and sanitized (totally not saying they weren't!). But makes you wonder how they were all infected and if they were all following protocols. And if they were all diligent with the protocols, WHY did they all get sick?

I'm not looking for an argument, debate or even a counter-point... Just an observation.
Walking by an unmasked person at the grocery store who’s sick. A stressed out family member lets their guard down and meets up with others. The same way everyone else catches it through community spread, even those taking it seriously

Reactions: CloneLawman

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

So you're making an observation, but then asking a question you don't want answered. Got it. I still salute you for your service on the vaccine, though.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Walking by an unmasked person at the grocery store who’s sick. A stressed out family member lets their guard down and meets up with others. The same way everyone else catches it through community spread, even those taking it seriously

Some people mistake "slow the spread" and "reduce the risk of infection" to mean "100% guaranteed" and when they find evidence that contradicts their idiotic false assumption, they will then declare our most useful tool worthless.

Last edited:

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
All I need to know about if masks work is friends and family in Taiwan and South Korea over the past 20 years (places far more densely populated than the vast majority of the USA).

They work to slow the spread of viral outbreaks.

End of story.

Even if you have a belief that masks work to slow the spread of covid-19, it is still the case that this study does not show anything of the sort. We really need to stop spreading and supporting poor science, even if it has conclusions we agree with.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even if you have a belief that masks work to slow the spread of covid-19, it is still the case that this study does not show anything of the sort. We really need to stop spreading and supporting poor science, even if it has conclusions we agree with.

This thread is full of anti-mask nonsense and baseless opinion. Refuting that should be top priority of anyone against needless death and in favor of a strong economy.

My comment is more about the general state of the overwhelming science on masks slowing viral outbreaks for many decades in many countries. Its that much more frustrating that friends and family have lived through this multiple times and dangerously selfish/ignorant people would chose not to learn from that experience.

I posted volumes of visual data of preventative measures vs outcomes just a few pages ago. The conclusion is clear. We don't even need to fucus entirely on this country and this outbreak, the fact that masks slow viral spread is just a known thing, it's only controversial because if our toxic public discourse.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This thread is full of anti-mask nonsense and baseless opinion. Refuting that should be top priority of anyone against needless death and in favor of a strong economy.

My comment is more about the general state of the overwhelming science on masks slowing viral outbreaks for many decades in many countries. Its that much more frustrating that friends and family have lived through this multiple times and dangerously selfish/ignorant people would chose not to learn from that experience.

I posted volumes of visual data of preventative measures vs outcomes just a few pages ago. The conclusion is clear. We don't even need to fucus entirely on this country and this outbreak, the fact that masks slow viral spread is just a known thing, it's only controversial because if our toxic public discourse.

When I sit down to ponder whether I should trust the learned experience of the entire world or trust Iowans about the pandemic, it takes about 2 seconds to rule out Iowans.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Status
Not open for further replies.