Merged Covid Megathread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Developed in Japan UV lamp good for multiuse locations

the clinic i do financials for looked into these and the ones they were looking to buy took 15 minutes to sweep a regular sized patient room. which was prohibitive for them. but it looks like this one might only take 7 minutes.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Developed in Japan UV lamp good for multiuse locations

Don't have any idea if this will be effective, but I've been amazed at the lack of trying to add UV to large ventilation systems, public areas, hospitals, schools etc.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
When they state that it doesn’t harm human health I would have loved to hear how they came to that conclusion.

Testing, I suppose similar to signing up for the vaccine trials? In the article it states that they changed the wave length from 250 to 220.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

By the end of 2020, hospitals across the U.S. will lose about $300 billion, according to the American Hospital Association. But for major medical centers like University Hospital in Newark, the financial hit of a second wave of Covid-19 would be especially devastating.

“Where there are already cracks in the system, those cracks become earthquakes,” said Dr. Chris Pernell, University Hospital’s chief of strategic integration and health equity officer.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Don't get sick in this country. Hospitalization is a joke. They only care about the buck and if you don't have it you are screwed

kcbob79clone

Interesting news from across the globe, although the veracity of all stories from Russia and China is as always to be determined. More than 150 potential vaccines are being developed and tested globally, with 38 in human trials, and candidates from Moderna Inc, Pfizer Inc and AstraZeneca Plc are already in late-stage trials. Here we go:

Over 3000 Muscovites have been vaccinated, trials are over?

Single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine produces strong immune response

Trial of new vaccine begins in UK

Covid antibodies endure over six months in China trial

Pakistan launches Phase 3 trials for Chinese developed vaccine

India, worlds largest vaccine maker starts manufacturing Codagenix vaccine and promises, “India’s vaccine production and delivery capacity will be used to help all humanity in fighting this crisis.”

Chinese firm expects vaccine approval within month

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Don't get sick in this country. Hospitalization is a joke. They only care about the buck and if you don't have it you are screwed

Well that's at least partially true. But hospitals make the big money keeping you there.

aauummm

March is National Celery Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Interesting news from across the globe, although the veracity of all stories from Russia and China is as always to be determined. More than 150 potential vaccines are being developed and tested globally, with 38 in human trials, and candidates from Moderna Inc, Pfizer Inc and AstraZeneca Plc are already in late-stage trials. Here we go:

Over 3000 Muscovites have been vaccinated, trials are over?

Single dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine produces strong immune response

Trial of new vaccine begins in UK

Covid antibodies endure over six months in China trial

Pakistan launches Phase 3 trials for Chinese developed vaccine

India, worlds largest vaccine maker starts manufacturing Codagenix vaccine and promises, “India’s vaccine production and delivery capacity will be used to help all humanity in fighting this crisis.”

Chinese firm expects vaccine approval within month

Before I get a COVID vaccine I'm going to want to know who made it and where it came from!

• Agree
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Well that's at least partially true. But hospitals make the big money keeping you there.
Medicare/Medicaid actually ties their reimbursement rate to this kind of thing. If a hospital keeps patients longer than warranted, or if a patient has surgery, and then has another stay for the same reason afterward, the hospital can lose a flat percentage off of their entire medicare/Medicaid reimbursement rate. Hospitals take that very seriously, because combined with insurance carriers, it makes up nearly all of their revenue. Losing even a single percent off of their reimbursement rate would represent huge amounts of money. Insurance companies also balk at unnecessarily inflated stays. They are in the business of paying as little as they can. Fighting the insurance companies to pay claims takes a ton of time and resources, even for well justified procedures and stays.

I'm not saying that this practice doesn't ever occur, and hospitals definitely look to charge whatever they can, but I don't think it's a terribly widespread practice. Keeping a patient in the hospital without a justifiable reason is tough work, because there are massive organizations, both public and private that are specifically looking for such occurrences.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.