Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbob79clone

Distinctive in that it is the cheapest, fastest Covid test in the UK. At current exchange rate it would be $1.91 US DOLLARS.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Need this type of thing to get some things up and running again but there needs to be available back up plans as well which is difficult to do.

Thinking of schools specifically. Like if a teacher tests themselves one morning and is positive, what's the plan for who takes their classes for two weeks, as there's likely more of a sub shortage.

• Useful
Reactions: mynameisjonas

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Like if a teacher tests themselves one morning and is positive, what's the plan

Well then thanks to the low cost, the teacher needs to swab again the next day.....or better yet.....that night. Because they might test negative.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Need this type of thing to get some things up and running again but there needs to be available back up plans as well which is difficult to do.

Thinking of schools specifically. Like if a teacher tests themselves one morning and is positive, what's the plan for who takes their classes for two weeks, as there's likely more of a sub shortage.
My thought too. And who is gonna pay for all the breakfast cereal spilled in joyous celebration across the country when a 2nd grader hears 20 min before getting on the bus they don’t have to go to school?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Well then thanks to the low cost, the teacher needs to swab again the next day.....or better yet.....that night. Because they might test negative.

And if they don't, which would be pertaining to my original question since it's not automatically that simple?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Initial impact of more cases/quarantined would pay for itself with huge drop in overall cases allowing for parts of economy to open back up more fully.

If it's really that cheap and quick, a massive testing initiative and true federal mask initiative could bridge the gap to a vaccine.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006

I don’t know what the exact plan is but schools have had contingency plans in place for teachers having to take unplanned time off due to illness or family emergencies long before COVID was a thing.

Whatever the alternative is, it’s far superior than sending the teacher to school to spread more COVID among staff and students. I want to get this crap under control and managed so we aren’t having this same discussion 6 months or a year from now. An effective testing program and smart planning all around the country would be a huge step in that direction.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Initial impact of more cases/quarantined would pay for itself with huge drop in overall cases allowing for parts of economy to open back up more fully.

If it's really that cheap and quick, a massive testing initiative and true federal mask initiative could bridge the gap to a vaccine.

Can't disagree with that but even if cases are low, one kid or teacher going to school without knowing they have it can disrupt it.

83cy

May 14, 2006
I like the cost, I had a covid test, it cost $340 which insurance paid $120. What a joke.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t know what the exact plan is but schools have had contingency plans in place for teachers having to take unplanned time off due to illness or family emergencies long before COVID was a thing.

Whatever the alternative is, it’s far superior than sending the teacher to school to spread more COVID among staff and students. I want to get this crap under control and managed so we aren’t having this same discussion 6 months or a year from now. An effective testing program and smart planning all around the country would be a huge step in that direction.

That plan was: get a sub. That often included a retired teacher who was now subbing, but if Covid is a threat those folks aren't going to be as available and they were typically the best person for a long term gig.

Would maybe need to have some form of accelerated certification program where college students in education take it on or something if they're already in the student teaching phase.

Of course, that would mean they're able to work...I drove through the downtown Madison area Friday and all indications are this conversation will be around for a while. That includes the adult crowd.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like the cost, I had a covid test, it cost $340 which insurance paid $120. What a joke.

Microcosm of our healthcare system vs rest of entire developed world.

Some insured people early on got stuck with a $2000 bill.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Isn’t the only thing that is not “up and running” schools and school related stuff?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Isn’t the only thing that is not “up and running” schools and school related stuff?

Yeah I think so.

But do businesses get a chance at higher % of capacity with something like this? Larger sports crowds?

Or is that going down the road of 'carding' people for negative tests in order to get in?

• Informative
Reactions: kcbob79clone

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
When they state that it doesn’t harm human health I would have loved to hear how they came to that conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron