Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
So I know there has been some hate on phase 4. I was just thinking about that so I went and looked at the list of all the films and honestly all of them have been pretty good imo. Nothing in my top 3-5 Marvel movies but all at least solid. I thought about it for a bit and I think there are 3 reasons for some of the hate. Also the first 3 phases were such a unique thing with the interconnected universe that we are always going to look back at it with nostalgia.

1. It's following Endgame and the damn near perfect first 3 phases. There was always going to be a bit of a letdown when you have to restart and compare to that.

2. Disney + shows. They have been pretty all over the place in quality (both between shows and within shows).

3. Not as much intertwined story and not working towards a big bad (yet). The movies may have some Easter egg type stuff but they typically feel pretty isolated. I think once stories start getting more intertwined and they introduce more Kang people will start to get more excited.

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneErik

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It’s not interesting at all actually. It had its biggest star returning and played off of 20 years of nostalgia. The other 75% of that equation has given us a long line of trash superhero movies like freaking Morbius.

Hot take.... I actually kind of had fun watching Morbius and don't think it is quite as bad as people make it out to be.

• Agree
Reactions: bos

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The writing has gotten very sloppy in Phase 4. Part of the problem is a multiverse theme naturally makes linear storytelling harder, but I think it has more to do with how Disney does things than anything else. Their first efforts in Star Wars were pretty poor as well, but have changed leadership there and seem to be getting things under more creative control.

I watched Wakanda Forever and thought the story made no sense. They get a mulligan considering the original screenplay had to be scrapped when Boseman passed, but I don't really have confidence they can weave a story together as tight as the Infinity Saga and Phase 1-3 character introductions again.

• Agree
Reactions: bos

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Watched Wakanda Forever last night and honestly had a really good time. Too long but that always happens.

• Agree
Reactions: mwitt

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Watched Wakanda Forever last night and honestly had a really good time. Too long but that always happens.
Yep I thought it was decent and would have been solid if they would have trimmed 30 minutes off of it. Angela Bassett is phenomenal in it and she was the highlight when I saw it in theaters.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just cut out Riri. Didn’t need it and you already have a ton of awesome characters.
This 100%. Just no reason to shoehorn her in there. That entire segment of the movie took us out of what was going on. She’s a pretty fun character actually but they should have brought her into the MCU in a different movie or just used her upcoming Disney+ show this Fall.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Just cut out Riri. Didn’t need it and you already have a ton of awesome characters.
Yeah so many great characters already. Just briefly introduce her as a young genius working for the US Government that was able to figure out a way to find Vibranium. Cut out all the extra stuff with her and have the Wakanda vs Talokan conflict stem from Wakanda defending America from an attack or something

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This 100%. Just no reason to shoehorn her in there. That entire segment of the movie took us out of what was going on. She’s a pretty fun character actually but they should have brought her into the MCU in a different movie or just used her upcoming Disney+ show this Fall.

Agreed it’s nothing against the character. She was fun and she looks great and everything.

But in Black Panther, Wakanda itself is almost a character and taking away from it at all is bad IMO.

You literally don’t need any of it, just say the US developed a vibranium tracker and then that starts the Telokan/Wakanda conflict. Boom you’re off and running.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Agreed it’s nothing against the character. She was fun and she looks great and everything.

But in Black Panther, Wakanda itself is almost a character and taking away from it at all is bad IMO.

You literally don’t need any of it, just say the US developed a vibranium tracker and then that starts the Telokan/Wakanda conflict. Boom you’re off and running.
I watched a few of the Phase 1 and 2 movies over the last week here to get ready for Antman and the Wasp: Quantumania and the pacing is just lightyears better than most of Marvel's Phase 4 stuff. That may be my biggest issue with Phase 4 (aside from the obvious WTH are we doing right now thing) is the pacing and length are pretty rough for most of these.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

That's encouraging. I've steered away from most of the trailers because I'm excited about this one and don't want any spoilers. I haven't been to see a movie in the theater since Top Gun and I'm ready to see a good one.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Fell off the Marvel wagon. Seen new thor, DS, and that might be it. Anything I need to see before Wakanda forever?
Bumping this question, I don' think this specifically got answered but I haven't seen the movie yet so I'm trying to avoid the thread much untill I do. Also, is this one kid-safe? I assume it is. Little JM really wants to see it.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Bumping this question, I don' think this specifically got answered but I haven't seen the movie yet so I'm trying to avoid the thread much untill I do. Also, is this one kid-safe? I assume it is. Little JM really wants to see it.
Lots of dealing with death, anger, and wanting revenge. Kid friendly depends greatly on the kid's age.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Random post: I re-watched Shang-Chi recently to see if I'd have a better opinion of it. I had high hopes for it, but for some reason the movie became an after-thought almost immediately after my initial viewing. I was hoping I would feel different after a re-watch.

Unfortunately, I came away feeling the same way. I really liked most of the movie, but the same two things bothered me as before.

1) Awkwafina constantly grates on me (really similarly to Kat Dennings). She has moments, but there's just something that feels so forced all of the time. She always has to try to make everything funnier than it is and is doesn't land for me.

2) The final CGI fight scene really brought it down. The hand to hand fighting was great, but the dragon fight felt like they were given a CGI budget and needed to make sure they used it all so they could ask for more for the next movie.

Despite all that, I like the character and the genre, so I'm anxious to see more from Shang-Chi going forward. I know they are making a sequel, but he's a personality that I could see being a fan favorite if written well.

Reactions: Triggermv