For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Interesting. I have found the opposite with most in that finally we can move this story forward because all of Phase 4 was one big What the hell are we even doing in this universe now?

You could take time to set up Thanos because it was the first time we did all of that. Now MCU fans know how they roll and you can’t take as much time to get to a big story or you lose the audience. Doing a 20-movie endeavor like they did with the Infinity storyline will never, and can’t ever, happen again. They will lose their audience because nobody has the patience for that again once it’s been done.
Plus it takes so freaking long for the total payoff.

The first took about 12 years without the pandemic.

Edit-They also mostly hit a home run with the casting of the first series, they won't always be that fortunate.

Reactions: jctisu

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

This was kind of a fun poll to vote in and see the results so far
I voted for endgame. The character development and acting in that movie is phenomenal. Plus seeing the heroes lose and the dusting, man what a movie. Every time I see it on I stop and watch it.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I voted for endgame. The character development and acting in that movie is phenomenal. Plus seeing the heroes lose and the dusting, man what a movie. Every time I see it on I stop and watch it.

You may be confusing Endgame with Infinity War. Infinity War is the one where the heroes lose. Endgame is with the time travel and victory against Thanos.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You may be confusing Endgame with Infinity War. Infinity War is the one where the heroes lose. Endgame is with the time travel and victory against Thanos.

Bingo. Endgame having to use time travel as a plot device was really the start of the MCUs decline.

Reactions: jctisu

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Honestly I disagree. It was kind of cheesy, but it took us on a review of everywhere we had been over the course of like 20 movies. I thought it was brilliant.

I agree here. I didn't have a problem with it. It was enjoyable, and it played into a loooooooong tradition of telling team stories with the team breaking into groups of 1 or 2. Gardner Fox and Roy Thomas would approve.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Honestly I disagree. It was kind of cheesy, but it took us on a review of everywhere we had been over the course of like 20 movies. I thought it was brilliant.

Time travel is a plot device only used when other ideas in a franchise are exhausted. (Cough Indy 5 Cough) Its lazy story writing and doesn't move the overall narrative along. It also destroys all future plots because "we can just correct that by going back in time."

I will say that Endgame is brilliant cinema compared to some of the Phase 4 disasters that followed it.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I agree here. I didn't have a problem with it. It was enjoyable, and it played into a loooooooong tradition of telling team stories with the team breaking into groups of 1 or 2. Gardner Fox and Roy Thomas would approve.

Endgame is very entertaining, I won't disagree with that aspect.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Time travel is a plot device only used when other ideas in a franchise are exhausted. (Cough Indy 5 Cough) Its lazy story writing and doesn't move the overall narrative along.

I will say that Endgame is brilliant cinema compared to some of the Phase 4 disasters that followed it.
Used once, and in this context of also doing kind of a retrospective hop through some of the previous films, I didn't mind it. Becoming a common place plot device just cheapens everything.

Some of the multiverse stuff has been really hamfisted and has the potential to get out of hand quickly. I fully expect the finale of all of this not to contains dozens of different heroes all on the screen at the same time, but like 5 versions of Cap, 8 versions of Ironman. etc. They'll be lots of jokes, like in No Way Home, when someone calls out a name and 4 people will respond to it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Time travel is a plot device only used when other ideas in a franchise are exhausted. (Cough Indy 5 Cough) Its lazy story writing and doesn't move the overall narrative along. It also destroys all future plots because "we can just correct that by going back in time."

Time travel as a device to get writers out of trouble is lazy. However, this was done intentionally as a way to give us a retrospective on the entire MCU up to that point. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Now if you want to talk to me about the multiverse stuff, yeah I'm over it. I haven't watched a lot of MCU stuff now. Endgame kind of killed it for me but that's not due to the time travel aspect.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Time travel as a device to get writers out of trouble is lazy. However, this was done intentionally as a way to give us a retrospective on the entire MCU up to that point. We'll have to agree to disagree here.

Now if you want to talk to me about the multiverse stuff, yeah I'm over it. I haven't watched a lot of MCU stuff now. Endgame kind of killed it for me but that's not due to the time travel aspect.
They almost went too much multiverse too quickly. Loki was just beginning to explore the ramifications of it when MoM just kicked the door open. Could have rolled with a whole Earth1/Earth 2 thing for a bit like DC (yes I know DC has more but these were the two main). Even What If... felt more organic in how it was presented. Now everything dealing with the multiverse is just going to be how many different versions of the characters can we show.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
They almost went too much multiverse too quickly. Loki was just beginning to explore the ramifications of it when MoM just kicked the door open. Could have rolled with a whole Earth1/Earth 2 thing for a bit like DC (yes I know DC has more but these were the two main). Even What If... felt more organic in how it was presented. Now everything dealing with the multiverse is just going to be how many different versions of the characters can we show.

They are planning on culminating phase 5 (or 6?) with the Secret Wars plotline. Given the financial shape Disney is in right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they busted out the check book and brought back as many former MCU folks back in as they can. Its likely their last chance for many of them.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
They are planning on culminating phase 5 (or 6?) with the Secret Wars plotline. Given the financial shape Disney is in right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they busted out the check book and brought back as many former MCU folks back in as they can. Its likely their last chance for many of them.
Not only that, but it's probably going to be how they replace most of the current actors with new ones. Here's this new 20-something actor playing an alternate Captain America fighting along side Chris Evans' version. Guess who survives the final battle? Ain't going to be Chris's. Battle over. Multiverse closed. New group moves forward.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Fell off the Marvel wagon. Seen new thor, DS, and that might be it. Anything I need to see before Wakanda forever?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Bingo. Endgame having to use time travel as a plot device was really the start of the MCUs decline.

If you thought a singular time travel plot was bad wait until they lean into the multiverse.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron