• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Watched the GotG Christmas Special last night. Kind of rough, but overall enjoyable. The story would have been better served with a focus on Peter Quill, but we were treated to like 20-30 minutes straight of Drax and Mantis on Earth trying to find Peter's gift. I feel like the climax would have hit better if we had more development on Quill. But overall, not a complete waste of time but I definitely feel like it could have been way better.

Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Watched the GotG Christmas Special last night. Kind of rough, but overall enjoyable. The story would have been better served with a focus on Peter Quill, but we were treated to like 20-30 minutes straight of Drax and Mantis on Earth trying to find Peter's gift. I feel like the climax would have hit better if we had more development on Quill. But overall, not a complete waste of time but I definitely feel like it could have been way better.
I don't know what it was, but I got the impression Chris Pratt was annoyed to be there. It was like they were either writing the script as they went along or that he is quickly losing interest in the MCU and wants to move on to other projects. Either way, StarLord was lacking his usual charm that was there in GotG 1 & 2. I am hoping the acting is better in GotG 3, otherwise it may be a disappointment.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't know what it was, but I got the impression Chris Pratt was annoyed to be there. It was like they were either writing the script as they went along or that he is quickly losing interest in the MCU and wants to move on to other projects. Either way, StarLord was lacking his usual charm that was there in GotG 1 & 2. I am hoping the acting is better in GotG 3, otherwise it may be a disappointment.

I'm sure James Gunn isn't putting his best into MCU content now, for obvious reasons.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Star Lord wasn't very charming in L&T either. He's moved out of loveable rogue territory to somber, battle hardened leader. He's dealt with a lot of heartache since the end of GotG 2. The Guardians themselves are no longer a plucky group of adventurers. They've suffered loss and made some pretty big enemies. I'm not expecting GotG 3 to be some comedy romp.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I found him a little off too in the Holiday special, but nowhere even close to how much the entire GOTG team, especially Star Lord was off in Thor: Love and Thunder. I found all the scenes they were in to be completely off and out of character to the point where I found them borderline painful to watch.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Yeah, Infinity War really did a number on Star Lord as a character, both developmentally and in terms of audience perception. It’s kind of sad to say but I feel like Chris Pratt’s public perception as an actor has also taken a hit as well considering how many critically bashed films he’s found himself a part in. Parks & Rec and pre-Endgame was literally peak Chris Pratt, and I don’t know if he’s ever going to get any of that charm back.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah, Infinity War really did a number on Star Lord as a character, both developmentally and in terms of audience perception. It’s kind of sad to say but I feel like Chris Pratt’s public perception as an actor has also taken a hit as well considering how many critically bashed films he’s found himself a part in. Parks & Rec and pre-Endgame was literally peak Chris Pratt, and I don’t know if he’s ever going to get any of that charm back.

One underrated film I found from Chris Pratt recently was Tomorrow War. I had a ton of fun with that movie.

Reactions: jctisu and bos

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
One underrated film I found from Chris Pratt recently was Tomorrow War. I had a ton of fun with that movie.
It was a pretty standard paint by numbers action film that fell off the rails hard in the third act. A decent enough watch, but one I would have never paid to see in the theaters had it gone there.

• Agree
Reactions: KidSilverhair

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I could get on board for Austin Butler as the Human Torch. While his Elvis movie was overlong and overbaked, Austin was nothing short of spectacular in it and I could see him easily as The Human Torch.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So ummmm the Ant Man Quantumania trailer during the CFP National Championship was insane! Please be the movie to bring the MCU back on track. Kang looks like such a badass, and the line Scott Lang drops on him about both having to lose is some straight up gangsta ****.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I’m going to keep up with my tradition and totally avoid the final trailer for this one. I can wait. Right? I’ve heard this one gives away the plot and some surprises, pretty similar to Thor Love & Thunder.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I’m going to keep up with my tradition and totally avoid the final trailer for this one. I can wait. Right? I’ve heard this one gives away the plot and some surprises, pretty similar to Thor Love & Thunder.
I would say I am not sure what it did or didn’t give away. I think there were a lot of fake edits making you think one thing, but it will be not what you think it was in the actual movie. I agree though in general, I avoid final trailers usually. This just happened to be during the game, which I forgot they were doing. Only a month away, so at least it’s not a long wait for the movie.

Reactions: Triggermv

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I managed to get to BP2 with minimal spoilers. While I have seen the first trailer or two of Ant-man, I'm avoiding any more if at all possible. Kinda want to be surprised at movies again, even if it's some minor scene. Plus, I'm getting tired of being burned on trailer scenes not being in the actual movie.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I watched the trailer and kind of regretted it. As mentioned above not sure what it spoils but you kinda get a gist for what Kang’s plan is with Ant-man. Might have also spoiled some major emotional beats as well.

Overall it was a phenomenal trailer. Marvel has been killing it in the advertising department and this trailer caused my hype for this movie to go from generally excited to “should I see this movie on opening night?!”

My hope is, by the way they’re advertising it, that this is a proper follow-up and continuation of the storyline hinted at in Endgame.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
i just can’t get super excited for Kang being the new big baddie… feels like Marvel is rushing into finding their new Thanos. Gorr the God Butcher was an awesome bad guy, but terrible film execution and wanting to contain him to one movie was a huge mistake IMO.

Marvel Phase 4 had some sweet bad guys… but they were wasted.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I found him a little off too in the Holiday special, but nowhere even close to how much the entire GOTG team, especially Star Lord was off in Thor: Love and Thunder. I found all the scenes they were in to be completely off and out of character to the point where I found them borderline painful to watch.
It's like there wasn't a real reason for them to be there, they seemed to clash with the movie.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
i just can’t get super excited for Kang being the new big baddie… feels like Marvel is rushing into finding their new Thanos. Gorr the God Butcher was an awesome bad guy, but terrible film execution and wanting to contain him to one movie was a huge mistake IMO.

Marvel Phase 4 had some sweet bad guys… but they were wasted.
Interesting. I have found the opposite with most in that finally we can move this story forward because all of Phase 4 was one big What the hell are we even doing in this universe now?

You could take time to set up Thanos because it was the first time we did all of that. Now MCU fans know how they roll and you can’t take as much time to get to a big story or you lose the audience. Doing a 20-movie endeavor like they did with the Infinity storyline will never, and can’t ever, happen again. They will lose their audience because nobody has the patience for that again once it’s been done.