• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Captain America: Civil War first trailer officially released!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVdV-lxRPFo

Personally, I loved it. DEFINITELY had more of a Captain America: The Winter Soldier feel to it than an Avengers feel for sure, which is what I love. This shouldn't be surprising though beings how Anthony and Joe Russo are directing it (same directors as Winter Soldier). It already looks like they pulled the throttle back a bit on the CGI bonanza, which makes things a bit more grounded (like The Winter Soldier), and is exactly what I was hoping for. We'll see though, tough to tell all of that for sure from the Trailer.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I don't know about you guys, avengers were an a-list comic when I was a kid. Xmen had a bigger child following due to Saturday morning cartoons, but avengers and fantastic four seemed to be equally popular. In fact, infinity gauntlet series was my favorite crossover series growing up and led me to own several off list comics I had never read. Just my 2¢ on a list vs b list.

May have been the case at some point to some extent in the past, but its pretty hard for groups like The Fantastic Four to be "A-list" anymore when their comic book is getting cancelled due to a lack of interest:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-to-the-fantastic-saying-goodbye-to-marv.html

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Personally, I loved it. DEFINITELY had more of a Captain America: The Winter Soldier feel to it than an Avengers feel for sure, which is what I love. This shouldn't be surprising though beings how Anthony and Joe Russo are directing it (same directors as Winter Soldier). It already looks like they pulled the throttle back a bit on the CGI bonanza, which makes things a bit more grounded (like The Winter Soldier), and is exactly what I was hoping for. We'll see though, tough to tell all of that for sure from the Trailer.

And Black Panther was in it!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I don't know about you guys, avengers were an a-list comic when I was a kid. Xmen had a bigger child following due to Saturday morning cartoons, but avengers and fantastic four seemed to be equally popular. In fact, infinity gauntlet series was my favorite crossover series growing up and led me to own several off list comics I had never read. Just my 2¢ on a list vs b list.

Definitely see your point on the X-Men for sure as I was somewhat even hesitant to throw them on the "A-list" too beings how they probably haven't always been A-list, but rather were kind of turned into one due to things like those Saturday morning cartoons. But regardless, I'd call them one now, not individually, but collectively. Wolverine on the other hand has always been A-list.

Your mentioning of The Fantastic Four might have somewhat been the case at one point, but it is tough to be A-list when your comic has been cancelled due to a lack of interest:
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-to-the-fantastic-saying-goodbye-to-marv.html

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Definitely see your point on the X-Men for sure as I was somewhat even hesitant to throw them on the "A-list" too beings how they probably haven't always been A-list, but rather were kind of turned into one due to things like those Saturday morning cartoons. But regardless, I'd call them one now, not individually, but collectively. Wolverine on the other hand has always been A-list.

Your mentioning of The Fantastic Four might have somewhat been the case at one point, but it is tough to be A-list when your comic has been cancelled due to a lack of interest:

The failed attempts at transitioning to the big screen certainly couldn't have helped there. We're getting to the point where the younger generation really only knows the FF as what they've seen on screen, and that would inspire confidence.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE

Iron Man getting smacked around there.
Was that War Machine lying in Starks arms on the ground?
And how about Black Panther?
Movie looks good.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I totally agree that Fox will never give up X-Men. At best, after they get done with all their current slate of movies scheduled, they MAYBE strike a Spiderman/Marvel/Sony type of deal to reboot them in the MCU, but I doubt even that. They are just too successful on their own where Fox makes 100% of the profits.

As for your talks about the Spider Man/Sony deal, I don't think you are right about Marvel eventually owning Spiderman again after this deal with Sony is done. I haven't seen that anywhere, but if you have an article or something about it, I'd love to read it. Also, it just doesn't make sense for Sony to EVER fully give up Spider Man unless Marvel cuts a MAJOR check. He is just too popular of a character.

I guess you are right. It's a partnership to allow Spider-Man into the MCU. I thought Marvel had bought the rights back. My bad.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
You would think though with Disney money they could pull it off. There is nothing Disney would love more than to be able to have Spider-Man running around the theme parks.

You'd think so, but you've also got to have a willing seller too, which is tough with something so valuable. As for the theme park stuff, I don't even think that does it. I'm pretty sure the theme-park rights were something completely separate that they sold off as well. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I think someplace like six-flags or Universal owns that. Granted, again, they could buy those back too, but it would have to be another separate deal. My guess is they are trying though having rights to both Star Wars and all Marvel properties for theme-parks has the potential to be a gold mine.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
You'd think so, but you've also got to have a willing seller too, which is tough with something so valuable. As for the theme park stuff, I don't even think that does it. I'm pretty sure the theme-park rights were something completely separate that they sold off as well. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I think someplace like six-flags or Universal owns that. Granted, again, they could buy those back too, but it would have to be another separate deal. My guess is they are trying though having rights to both Star Wars and all Marvel properties for theme-parks has the potential to be a gold mine.

I was just down at Disney World over the summer and they sell a lot of MCU merchandise, especially at Disney Studios. I can't remember if I saw the characters walking around but Disney is definitely integrating that stuff into their theme parks.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

The X-Men got that cartoon because they'd been the A-list for a decade or so. The X-Men and Spider-Man were the A-list for a long time while the Avengers and all struggled more for sales.

The Fantastic Four would be the A-list of the 1970s, especially the Thing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The X-Men got that cartoon because they'd been the A-list for a decade or so. The X-Men and Spider-Man were the A-list for a long time while the Avengers and all struggled more for sales.

The Fantastic Four would be the A-list of the 1970s, especially the Thing.

Good to know. A little before my time. All I know is what documentaries tell me, which those two earlier ones I posted are again, VERY interesting and worth everyone's time to watch. Good stuff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Good read. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I know that Disney is already working on adding a larger Star Wars area at Disney Studios and I'm quite sure they would love to add a Marvel area as well.

Yeah, Star Wars is a lot easier since I think the purchase of LucasFilm included rights to EVERYTHING.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
While I still believe in my “A/B/C listâ€, I’m not just magically making those statements up. What I’m referring to is also in nearly every special feature that Marvel has made about their movies because they, as well as everyone in the industry knew it themselves. It was pretty much common knowledge. Here are a couple great documentaries made by Marvel themselves to watch where they refer to it.
http://putlocker.is/watch-marvel-75-years-from-pulp-to-pop-online-free-putlocker.html
Check out around the 33:00 mark on this one to see them use terms such as “Marvel is rolling out the B-teamâ€, Marvel is missing rights to a lot of their “heavy hittersâ€.
Here is another one where they talk about it too:
http://putlocker.is/watch-marvel-studios-assembling-a-universe-online-free-putlocker.html
Both are great documentaries by the way.
All said and done, everyone has slightly different definitions, but there are really very few “A†list comic book heroes. My “A†list really only includes Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, X-Men (as a team, not individually), and maybe the Hulk (I truly think Hulk is B-list still), and Marvel didn't own rights to any of them (struck a deal with Paramount to do a Hulk stand-alone movie). "A-list" stars can essentially get thrown into any movie and regardless of whether the movie is crap, everyone will still go and see it. Outside of those, you are stretching. While it is hard to even think about Iron Man once being B-list, he was, which is why nobody can even think of Iron Man outside of Robert Downey Jr. and also why this whole venture was such a leap of faith in the first place that happened to just become a hit. Shoot, at least DC/Warner Bros owns movie rights to ALL their characters. These movies have just turned most these characters into A-list stars now. The A-list is much bigger now than it used to be, but superheroes in general are much bigger now than they used to be too.
For me, Superman has slipped off the A list.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Anyone notice that the Civil War trailer didn't show Spidey at all? I was curious whether they would or not. Since they are obviously wanting to maintain suspense for the big reveal, I was guessing they wouldn't full-on show Spidey, but I thought they might allude to him somehow. Guess not in this one at least. They definitely weren't going to full-on show him when Marvel hasn't even released a pic of his costume yet, and probably won't.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
For me, Superman has slipped off the A list.

Haha, I see where you are coming from, especially since I'm not a big Superman guy myself. However, don't tell any of the die hard DC fans out there that. They'll likely slit your throat.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Anyone notice that the Civil War trailer didn't show Spidey at all? I was curious whether they would or not. Since they are obviously wanting to maintain suspense for the big reveal, I was guessing they wouldn't full-on show Spidey, but I thought they might allude to him somehow. Guess not in this one at least. They definitely weren't going to full-on show him when Marvel hasn't even released a pic of his costume yet, and probably won't.

They didnt show quite a few heroes. This is a plot hook trailer. Im sure the 2nd trailer will show more character spots.